• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Broken Down, Eaglle, CO

davidkroberts

with weather like that i would think its a combination of gelling fuel and/or a clogged filter. Im sure if your CUCV is like everyone elses it was probably filled last with summer diesel instead of winter blend. I dont think that was all of your problems but im sure it contributed. When you started not having problems had you stopped to get diesel or where you running what was in the tank originally.

Glad everything is working out so far, ditto on having a towbar. I have towed them back pretty easily using a civilian towbar(700+miles) and just got through towing one back 500 miles with a military towbar. It better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

McCluskey

I'm home now guys. That finally stretch from Beaver to OC was too brutal. Both of us pretty much gunned it all the way home, fighting Vegas traffic. Did a nearly consistent 70MPH. I got her up to what I believe was 94 at one point, but not entirely sure since the speedo stops at 85. Even gunning it all the way home, I still averaged 19MPH.

with weather like that i would think its a combination of gelling fuel and/or a clogged filter. Im sure if your CUCV is like everyone elses it was probably filled last with summer diesel instead of winter blend. I dont think that was all of your problems but im sure it contributed. When you started not having problems had you stopped to get diesel or where you running what was in the tank originally.

Glad everything is working out so far, ditto on having a towbar. I have towed them back pretty easily using a civilian towbar(700+miles) and just got through towing one back 500 miles with a military towbar. It better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.
I believe the fuel was drained and re-filled by the shop. But I suspect they didn't scope it and left a little bit in there with some sediment. Or maybe they ran a new filter with the old fuel and it ran fine for them, then decided to stop on me? I dunno, I got it fixed and got home that's all that matters. Pics and write up to follow prolly tomorow.

Thanks again for all the support everyone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old diesel grows algae, it will plug filters. Several tanks of fuel and a few filter changes is not an uncommon fix.

Glad you made it home, but your scare the crap out of me saying that you drove so fast. The vehicle is totally unknown to you, anything could have failed(and killed you or others). I am very surprised your tires did not blow out. Not flaming you, just voicing my thoughts.

McCluskey

It was a one time thing Doghead, and it was done on a empty, dry, straight section of the 15S. No one else was around except for my buddy ahead of me. It's not like I was burning 94 down the fast last trying to get ahead of Vegas traffic, no matter how tempting it was. Aside from that one point we kept them around 70 max the rest of the way home.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH,
While I concur, being safe IS the big thing, even I have goosed a truck on the way home when the road was empty and dry...

And yeah, smart? Probably not. UNSAFE? PROBABLY NOT.

And this is my whole point.

WHY IS IT, that every one automtically assumes the worst.

YES, we have had members who have lost both their new to them towed vehicle, AND the vehicle being used to bring home the new to them MV.

And I AM SURE there are not doubt horror stories about folks who don't drive properly.

But by and large, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've met in this hobby are three times safer than the 'regular driving public'. I would even go as far by saying that if you own a retired military vehicle that you bought with your own money, chances are HIGH that you are probably a VERY safe driver.

Now, having said ALL THAT, we all have that 'heavy right foot' syndrome just to see what she'll do...

Glad you got home safely. Glad you survived the trip. Now the FUN PART really starts...

McCluskey

I just got off the phone with their mechanic, responding to the email I sent while broken down. He told me that they did not snake the tank, but ran about a tanks worth of fuel through the truck while it had been worked on. He believes, since that it was -20 on the pass that night, they I got gelled fuel and that it was a mistake on his part not to think to add any diesel treatment to my tank. I did not add any on my previous fill-up because the Conoco did not have any. So, gelled fuel, knocked loose, sediment or algae. Something FUBAR'd the filter and it was an just a crappy means to a simple solution.

chevyrac66

I'm very sorry that it happened to you. I was up in Grand Lake without internet or cell phone service otherwise I would have been able to contact you sooner. I'm extremely thankful that you were ok and it was a minor fix, however a major inconveince. We are here for you and for the support of the truck. Please feel free to contact us if you have anymore issues at all or questions and we will help you resolve them quickly. I was traveling behind you on I70 but got off at highway 40 otherwise I would have seen you too. Good luck in the future and keep us posted if you have anymore issues with it dying out. I would have to say that it was probably gelling of the fuel or some type of sediment got knocked loose. I personally had over four hours seat time in that truck and I couldnt even get it to stumble. I so sorry it happened but I'm glad you were able to keep warm while you waited and are ok. Those tempertures are deadly if your stranded. Good luck and God Bless, Brian

DokWatson

Glad you made it home, but your scare the crap out of me saying that you drove so fast. The vehicle is totally unknown to you, anything could have failed(and killed you or others). I am very surprised your tires did not blow out. Not flaming you, just voicing my thoughts.
Do you always try to pass on worthless thoughts? Im sure his tires were made after 1946, and are rated to well past 80. He should be worried about over revving the engine, not his tires blowing up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks