• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Dead, almost

Seabee15

Right, that what I was thinking of doing, but the GP Controller card looks fine, the GP look fine (tested them all have .08-.09ohms)... I'm going to look at the resistor bank in the back of the engine now and i'll take a photo of that. If everything looks good, and working properly, then I wont need the momentary switch...

But if i was to do the momentary switch, which wire is the GP relay? Dark blue or light blue?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added photos.

But anyhow, dug into the truck today, removed the GP card, cleaned it up, and removed the GP themselves. The card looks fine with now burnt spots on it, and the glow plugs look ok.. The connectors to the GP were a little loose and i will replace them (what color connect would be best? blue? red?) and i was thinking of soldering the connectors and puting a insulated sheath over the connection point, would that be ok? or to much heat?

Here is what I found:

The glow plugs were a little oily, which i found out by a GM Tech thats ok if they aren't working properly. Which blue wire do you tap to the push button switch for manual operation, dark blue or light blue?
OK, on your other thread I specifically told you that you MUST clean all the connectors free of oil because IT WILL cause enough resistance for them not to work properly...

what ralbelt said.

I'll add you probably have an air leak in the fuel filter backing plate. You can get the whole assembly shipped to you for about $80 on Ebay. Bolts right up. Bleed the fuel system. Should solve all sorts of fuel delivery problems.

that and the glow plugs systems.

on the glow plug systems - has at any time in it's life has your 6.2L valve covers leaked? EVER? Mine seem to leak at the front, just a little. But over time, the oil will weep down into the connector and onto the top of the plug. Most folks drop the money on a new set of plugs and MANY comment on how the plugs they removed looked ok.

If you have had an oil leak, one at a time pull the electrical connector off and clean the connector. I use Qtips to get into all the nooks and crannies. Once it's clean, wipe down the top of the glow plug. Repeat this seven more times.

Replace the fuel filter backing plate.

I'll bet money it fires right up.

Keep us informed.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/56231-when-cold-wont-start-w-o-spray-even-then.html#post649994

So here you are, with oil on your glow plugs. CLEAN THEM. CLEAN THE CONNECTORS. Put them back in. THEN TRY IT. You might be surprised.

Regardless what the TM says, OIL on your glow plugs IS NOT OK. It just isn't.

Plus, once you have done that, I'd still bet you a dollar you are leaking air from the backing plate of your fuel filter bracket. Here is one on ebay from the guy I bought mine from. Solved all sorts of problems.

Fuel Filter Military Pickup Trucks CUCV NEW Chevy GMC: eBay Motors (item 400146326227 end time Aug-28-10 18:30:27 PDT)

And I'd also bet that this is a two or three problem issue. Not a 'if I just fix this it will work properly' type of problem. The third problem will be a failed or failing mechanical fuel pump. And it's a beach to get to. One of my Blazers has a 6 psi electric inline fuel pump that solved all sorts of issues. INCLUDING makes bleeding the fuel filter simple. Turn the key on, the pump comes on, open the bleed valve, wait a few seconds until fuel squirts out, then close the bleed valve and THAT should resolve the whole not getting fuel issue.

This truck has not had the proper maintenance for years. NONE OF THEM HAVE. Well, not many of them have had proper maintenance. And no, changing the oil and tires is NOT proper maintenance.

Realize that the reason the LAST GUY sold the truck is because he could not get it straightened out. This is YOUR chance to get it right and then drive it back and show him HOW EASY a fix it really was.

I don't mean to come off sound gruff or hard, but you did ask this question, received the answers necessary to fix the problem but apparently did not follow any of the advice? Then come back and ask the same question again? You do understand WHY this upsets some of us? We need new members. The more the merrier.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, that what I was thinking of doing, but the GP Controller card looks fine, the GP look fine (tested them all have .08-.09ohms)... I'm going to look at the resistor bank in the back of the engine now and i'll take a photo of that. If everything looks good, and working properly, then I wont need the momentary switch...

But if i was to do the momentary switch, which wire is the GP relay? Dark blue or light blue?
The Tech Manual has a step by step procedure to test the Glow Plug system. Look it up, print it out and see what the issue is.

The wiring diagrams are also in the Appendix of the manuals. Every wire is identified by color and size.

Seabee15

i have the -34 TM where can i download the -20 TM?

also i have the acdelco 13's for GP, how are those? are they terrible or are the 60g's just better over all?.... they dont look bad, and if they are good, just not the best, i'd rather use them then spending $100 for 60g

wholden

Look at the top of the CUCV page and see the CUCV FAQ. That link has all links to the TM's on the very first page. Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

I would suggest going through and reading that entire thread, then the CUCV stickys right below.

All of your questions will be answered to include what is needed to be done to make a manual pushbutton glowplug system.

Good luck and I hope you get running soon!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not post the same issue in multiple threads.

Seabee15

Well, I've got her running strong again. This is what i did

1) Took out the GP Card, cleaned it
2) Did the Test sequence that is found in the -20 TM, all checked out good
3) Checked power to the relay
4) Took out each glow plug and cleaned them, then reinstalled them to 10 ft-lbs
5) Tightened electrical connections to the Glow plugs
6) Purged the Fuel filter
7) Installed new Air Filter

Started Right Up! What exactly was the issue is unclear, but all the proper maintenance didn't hurt. And to think the guy I bought the truck from said it was the cold start solenoid! haha.

Next is to change every fluid in the truck, change the oil pan gasket, trans filter/fluid/gasket, and get new 285/75R16E BFG ATs

Thank y'all for your help! If your ever in the rochester area, first beer is on me.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seabee15,
When doing this kind of diagnostics, sometimes it helps to check your start up ability as you make your repairs so you will be to be able to know what fixed the problem. I'm not saying that everything you did was unnecessary. FAR FROM IT.

You probably have done more maintenance to that truck than it's seen in years.

And it rewarded you.

Keep at it. Don't forget the axle fluids. I'd bet they have not been changed in years. And don't forget to put in new gaskets once you open each diff. I think the front is just under 5 qts and the rear is just under 6 qts. But check your TM (lubrication order) for specifics.

GREAT JOB. Ain't it fun?? It's always been a great satisfaction to me to take someone else's oops and make it yours...[thumbzup]

And watch the guys face as you drive by and just smile and wave!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats of getting her running!!!!

We keep preaching over and over to read the Tech Manuals. Your post is proof that it does work.

:beer:

Seabee15

welllll i've made progress, but not much..

Changed out the glow plugs to the 60G's. But i have cycle the glow plugs 3,4,5 times before the truck will start.

When I turn the Key, the Wait to start light comes on, and after 10-12 seconds, you hear the relay click, then 7-9seconds later, the Wait light goes off....try to start it and nothing.

So I cycle it over and over again and it will eventually start..

Talked to another CUCV owner in the parking lot and he said the controller on the firewall can be replaced and that will solve the problem. What do you think?

Yes I've done the glow plug diagnostic that is found in the- 20 TM, and it has come back all in the green. (good)

Seeing what you guys think...

southdave

Try cleaning out the glass ball in the fuel injector return line and clean the contact on the fuel shut solenoid. maybe also check your air system. your problem sound more like a fuel air thing than a GP issue. just my thoughts

Seabee15

I will try that, is there a TM reference I can go by to clean out that glass ball/fuel shut off solenoid?

My Intake manifold is pretty dirty, maybe clean that out with some carb cleaner?

Nice Seabee Truck SouthDave[thumbzup]

Barrman

Remove the intake to clean it out. Don't go spraying cleaner into the intake because if it burns, it will cause the engine to increase rpm and basically, run away on its own.

Seabee15

Well I cleaned out the glass ball in the return line, and to my surprise, it did not change starting the engine all that much. This time I only had to let it cycle 1 once, then 3 times to get it started. Is there a thread about cleaning the contact on the fuel shut solenoid?

I'm not sure if it matters but after i start it, and let it run for a few minutes, starts right up everytime the first time like it should....thats why i thought it was a gp issue

Would cleaning the intake manifold really improve starting all that much? I mean it wont hurt anything, but......

southdave

hey Seabee I am buffalo how far are you from there I going back home this weekend next weekend I be in town, maybe if still having problem I sshow what I know it would take about 15 or 20 min. lol
As for the Intake maybe or you could have some engine internal things happing i.e valves pistons ect...You need three thing Air fuel and and compression to start a diesel unfortunlatly it hard to guess remotley.
it all a process of elimation so.. I am still thinking it fuel thing so maybe the I P or fuel pump or you got a bad fuel line sucking air letting fuel drain back to the tank or ....

Last edited:

southdave

??? I will be in cincinnati this weekend well mostly eastern Ky, Iwork in Buffalo we got 4 day work week next weekend I am in town PM me if you need some help. I was thinking running some crap to watertown anyway BTW where you an EA???

Last edited:

Seabee15

Awesome, I'd really appreciate that. A case of your favorite flavor of cold ones to ya if you can help me out!

I'll be free in rochester monday, anytime after 9am. then the following week i'm free all week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks