• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Dead, almost

Seabee15

I am currently a CE2, working as a Navy Special Warfare/Programs recruiter.

Let me know when your in the rochester area, this is really a head scratcher

In the mornings, hard time starting.....after it warmed up, starts like a Top every time after that.. Its not fuel related because there is white smoke when its trying to crank. It has a brand new air filter in it. Starts the same whether the air cleaner is on or off....

Do you or anyone have any other idea's of what I can check?

Seabee15

Update (for all of you just tuning in)
Here is the issue. In the mornings the truck as an extremely hard time starting. I let the glowplugs cycle once, then try to turn it over. Let it turn over for about 3-8seconds with the throttle at 45%..No luck

Then I let the glow plugs cycle for 3-5times and try to start it again the same way. No luck

This will go on for sometimes 5, 10, 20minutes at a time...

I look at the voltmeter durning all this and its in the Battery yellow, but a little more than halfway towards the red.

When it finally turns over, it rev's up like the ****ens, but goes immediately back down to idle....a puff of black smoke and alot grayish/white'ish smoke.

After I let it run for a few minutes, i can shut it down, then start it right back up no problem, like a champ. But if I let it sit for 4+ hrs, it has a little bit of a issue starting, but takes half as much time. I also noticed the voltmeter would be in the yellow but more towards the green now.

Now what I have done is replaced all the glowplugs with the AC Delco 60G, Tested the glowplug controller, looks and seems fine (no burnt resistors) and tested it (as per the manual). I've cleaned the fuel valve that is right before the Injection pump (the valve with the glass ball)..I have also replaced the fuel filterand purged it. I also replaced the airfilter also.

What could be causing this?? Any ideas? I've bought a new civy model relay for a 84 that I will install tomorrow morning...but whatelse can I check or look at???

Seabee15

And now i just realized i purchased the wrong GP relay, I got the GPR1Z instead of the s603. I will return the GPR1Z tomorrow to get the S603, maybe look into a spin on filter.

Seabee15

S603 got it going strong! turn the key, WAIT light on 10-12seconds, (no click!! thank goodness) WAIT light off, then a little throttle, engine fires up right away!

jatonka

Mine did the same thing, I tested the glow plugs, 7 of 8 shot, number 8 bad, installed 8 new AC 13G glow plugs and it starts perfect. Tested all other components and connections, they are all good. glow plugs cost me $10.71 each at local NAPA store JT out

Attachments