• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv door markings

combatcamera

Nope, sorry I don't have any photos of the stencil. Or at least, none that you can clearly see what it is. BUt, it was a Nikon F5 camera in front of the infantry crossed muskets.

combatcamera

When i was active and deploying we all had to put a 1< on our doors this was to designate what "part" we were of the fighting force. We also had WDOJCO on every truck in the batallion. The letter codes are not a vehicle identifier. it's a battalion identifier from what i understand. BTW the battalion no longer exists so i figured it'd be ok to post.

That letter code was your unit's Unit Identification Code. Every unit in the Army has one. It uniquely identifies that particular unit. A few units I was in we stenciled them on the vehicles, and I've seen other units do that too.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still trying to get pictures of what markings (TP, Warnings, ETC) others have or have seen on Cucvs (Spec. M1009). Any help would be appreciated.
Here is what was on my 1009, including original door markings and those modified to suit an old Marine (interesting what you can do when you have a spare hour and some stick-on lettering). Those white door panels are reflective, so not very tactical. This one was apparently a range truck on Camp Perry.
I haven't seen the TP marking inside by the spare on other m1009s. Also, having TP markings in white on camo is not the normal practice.

I know my 1009 is ugly, it is next in line for a complete repaint.

I am still looking for any/all pictures of original USMC markings on camo CUCVs, particularly M1009s.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

zoo

USMC markings

Hi all new guy lurker with 1986 m1009 reading and learning.
I too would like to see some leatherneck paint .Rory if you think yours is ugly,you should see mine .
I guess they ran out of green and painted mine ALL CARC BROWN.I gotta do something but untill i do my brown bomb is sorta unique. Semper Fi.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Brother, Semper Fi!

If you think brown is ugly, just be glad it wasn't pink (and I do mean pink, a lascivious shade thereof) like Pawnshop's.
His has recovered now, but will eternally carry the name Pinky....:p

Cheers

Pawnshop

Welcome aboard Brother, Semper Fi!

If you think brown is ugly, just be glad it wasn't pink (and I do mean pink, a lascivious shade thereof) like Pawnshop's.
His has recovered now, but will eternally carry the name Pinky....:p

Cheers
By pink, RC means PINK!!!

All CARC brown might be kinda cool... got a photo?

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you decide to paint, let me know.
I would assume you will attempt to use CARC. We can do a two for one paint day.
I'm going to use Gillespie paint with the "full repaint" 3-colour camo pattern (which looks much better). Two for one painting sounds good to me!

Cheers

MARCO1031

Does anyone know the breakdown of the Air Force vehicle numbers that are painted on the door. As I recall the first two digits are always the year of the vehicle and the only third character I ever recall seeing was "K". Where other letters used for different types of vehicles? What do the last several characters represent?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the breakdown of the Air Force vehicle numbers that are painted on the door. As I recall the first two digits are always the year of the vehicle and the only third character I ever recall seeing was "K". Where other letters used for different types of vehicles? What do the last several characters represent?
If I correctly recall what Sarge (who ran a USAF motorpool for many years) told me, K stands for tactical trucks, and C was for admin vehicles. I will ask him tomorrow (Sunday) when I see him.

Cheers

Last edited:

ssgtwright-usmc

What branch of service are you trying to do your vehicle? The Navy and Airforce construction units have door markings. The Marine Corps and the Army have bumber markings and marking on the hood and windshield. They do describe what unit/divison you belong to. M12001 would be 2Mardiv HGBN. The 6 digits on the hood just means the number of that vehicle being processed into the military system , 600851 just means inventory number.
To find a certain Marine Corps unit indentifier code (M), look up USMC RUC numbers over the web.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I talked to Sarge about the Air Force door marking today. He told me the following-

Typical # looks something like 72K123

The first two number are the year the vehicle was taken on USAF inventory, usually the vehicle year, but not necessarily.

The letter denotes type of vehicle, as in-
K = Tactical Vehicle
C = Admin. vehicle (ie non-tactical)
B = Bus
L = Trailer

The numbers after the letter are the sequence of the vehicles as they are taken on inventory, as in 01 would be the first the Air Force got that year, 333 would be the three hundred thirty third, etc. Minimum of two numbers (1-9 would be preceded by a 0), max is four.

Anyone disagrees with that, take it up with Sarge. Me, I think I'll accept it since it is coming from a retired AF motor pool First Sergeant...:p

Cheers

ssgtwright-usmc

Marine Corps the M stands for something differant. Look up Marine RUC and you will see that I am honest on my post.
M12001 stands for 2MarDiv HqBn.
I know Marine Corps Markings in which I learned the hard way.If you want door markings then it has to be a Navy or Airforce markings you are looking for. Markings will be more into a construction Battlion.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody questioned your veracity. I wasn't talking about Marine trucks, but Air Force specifically, my response was to Marco1031 since that was what he asked about.

Cheers

Kaiser

Hey Rory,
Thanks man, that was just the info I was lacking.
I recently bought what I thought was a '69 Postal Jeep DJ5A, I needed a partsgetter to get me through the wet Dutch winter while I am restoring my ex-Swiss Army CJ5.
something about the DJ bothered me though, seems all Postals have the wheel on the right cause thats where the letterboxes are, mine has regular lefthand drive. a long search on the internet revealed that it probably is ex USAF, some 1200 seem to have been delivered to the USAF in 1970 for 'Hack'duties on airbases.
One moment you have a cheap hack, the next you have another collectible on your hands.....
I decided to give it a proper USAF paintjob, as the current paint is terrible.
I live close to the former Soesterberg Airbase (CNA) home of the 32ndTFS 'Wolfhounds' so that seems appropriate. only thing that had me puzzled was the markings on the doors, the number that is, so now I know
Thanks man, and thank your friend Sarge for me
Cheers, Leo

Last edited:

Dave 52804

My M1028 has a 6" broken circle with a 4 inside of it painted on the passenger side door. I'm not sure, but I think the truck came from the Indiana National Guard.

Wrench Wench

When I get a 1009, I'll put antenna mounts and antennas on all four locations and make the door insignia as follows:
U.S. AIR FORCE
RDF UNIT 001
FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY
Of course, it'll be centered and in differing font sizes, but you get the idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks