• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV gun trucks?

nattieleather

I vote for training device simulator. The faux tank seems the most logical to me. Training doesn't stop just because you don't have all the equipment. You make do with what you have or what you can make. During Desert Storm the Coast Guard Port Security unit had to qualify shooting a M2 off of their boat while the boat was moving. It was January in Ohio so they couldn't go out on frozen Lake Erie so they took the boat on its trailer and towed it accross the range at Camp Perry with the coasty on the boat firing away at the target in the pits. They qualified and deployed to the Persian Gulf. Just an example of making do with what you got!

DrJekl

So then it is a Blazer with plywood sides on the back and something that is supposed to be a turret. Kind of like the car that looks like a tank off Bobby Jones in Augusta, GA down the road from FT Gordon. Pointless but it sure looks cool.

charlietango

exactly, and if you don't like it who gives a ****. it works, it was custom built, and its not trying to be anything it isn't. You said armour, I did not. The plywood is there to minimize wind on the highway and visible blockage for the stuff in the back. WHY are you even picking at this? do you have nothing better to do? Keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything productive oozing out of it. ;)

we use it for training with our ****. it works well.

DrJekl

I assumed it was custom based on the way it looks.

Sounds to me like you should take some of your own advice there high speed! Lighten up a little! I was not picking at it. I asked a question, you made a big deal out of it and started the name calling.

TyJustice

Did the armor on the Blazer come from Lowes?
Your question to me was funny as ****...Gotta a giggle from my GF when she read it too.:lol:

I can see how charlietango took it the wrong way, but my sarcasm meter runs at max level when I'm online.

Now back to the subject of this thread!

I find that 09 very unique and would ADD it to my collection anytime.:drool:

BigRix

To resurrect an old thread, I think I have the answer for the OP's question.

I think they were used as ersatz RG-31's for training exercises. I thought they were really up armoured M1009's when I first saw the picture but it turns out they were just cosmetic improvements.

Still want a real one though.

Attachments

vinny-socom1

I think you can call them GUN TRUCKS-- it is our Military using them...they are carring GUNS, the GUNS do shoot. So what if they are shooting blanks ,there are a couple of members on here that shoot blanks too!:p

Vinny:beer:

Csm Davis

Okay here's the thing most (gun trucks) are armored so I would say no as to any gun trucks being made on a 1009, maybe on 1028. Now I do know for a fact the cucvs were cut down even more than the picture of the Ford and made into fast attack vehicles by socom and very heavily armed. I think it was a great idea and should have been more utilized than it was.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To resurrect an old thread, I think I have the answer for the OP's question.

I think they were used as ersatz RG-31's for training exercises. I thought they were really up armoured M1009's when I first saw the picture but it turns out they were just cosmetic improvements.

Still want a real one though.
I was searching some other stuff and came across this. I saw 2 trailerfulls of these being driven into Ft. McCoy years ago. Back before we fully went to ACUPAT... There is a remote possibility they are the same trucks pictured above before the turret modifications were finished.

charlietango

Okay here's the thing most (gun trucks) are armored so I would say no as to any gun trucks being made on a 1009, maybe on 1028. Now I do know for a fact the cucvs were cut down even more than the picture of the Ford and made into fast attack vehicles by socom and very heavily armed. I think it was a great idea and should have been more utilized than it was.
HMMWV GMV is a gun mounted vehicle that is often stripped down with little to no armour, just sayin. I’d say it was more about timing. SF had top pick and why would you pick a CUCV when you could pick a humvee? (Similar mfg dates for 1009’s and M998’s so both were available at the same time). This is strictly my opinion. Sorry just realized this part of the resurrection was from 2013

Last edited:

Csm Davis

HMMWV GMV is a gun mounted vehicle that is often stripped down with little to no armour, just sayin. I’d say it was more about timing. SF had top pick and why would you pick a CUCV when you could pick a humvee? (Similar mfg dates for 1009’s and M998’s so both were available at the same time). This is strictly my opinion. Sorry just realized this part of the resurrection was from 2013
Okay so in the era of the CUCV most gun trucks did not get much if any uparmor, so the armor is not enough to say one way or the other if they were gun trucks. I am of the opinion that the CUCV's were very heavily armed in many instances and for that reason alone could be classed as a gun truck, but I ask this what is the definition of GUN TRUCK ? Most were used as fast attack vehicles or desert patrol vehicles and I believe that the M1009 was picked because of lighter weight, both before and after stripping down, than a humvee and it had a better top speed and fuel range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

charlietango

Okay so in the era of the CUCV most gun trucks did not get much if any uparmor, so the armor is not enough to say one way or the other if they were gun trucks. I am of the opinion that the CUCV's were very heavily armed in many instances and for that reason alone could be classed as a gun truck, but I ask this what is the definition of GUN TRUCK ? Most were used as fast attack vehicles or desert patrol vehicles and I believe that the M1009 was picked because of lighter weight, both before and after stripping down, than a humvee and it had a better top speed and fuel range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I believe you’re correct and the term GUN TRUCK is being misused. Now armour a deuce with quad-50’s..... that’s a gun truck. Strike vehicle would be more appropriate

I still think the stripped down m998 was picked over the m1009 because of cool factor. They were both relatively new trucks in the gulf war for instance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks