• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey

cucvrus

More progress on my engine project. Thanks for looking. I am tired and will just post pictures. i will elaborate later.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpgwater pump was made in Austria. Finest water pumps come from Austria. Thank you for looking have a nice evening. Stay Thirsty my friend.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I had a very productive day. Started early at 0700 and just completed my day.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpgI have the engine ready to put back in the Mule. I want to pressure wash the undercarriage and engine compartment before I reinstall the engine. 004.jpgThank you for looking and have a nice day. 005.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpgAll pressure washed , hand scrubbed with Dawn, washed with DX 330 and painted. I wanted it to look new again. It was just rebuilt and a new torque converter. I found the last 8 of the VIN of the right side of the transmission. It is OEM to the M1009 Mule. I will move on to the transfer case and getting that looking just as good. thank you for looking. Have a nice day.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg006.jpg005.jpg007.jpg009.jpg008.jpgAfter some deep thought I have decided to just pressure wash the engine compartment and clean it as best I could. I wanted to stay true to my goal of only fixing what was broken and doing it right without over doing it. I welded a new rocker panel in place but will not fix any of the dents. I was going to paint and detail everything under the hood. For what? I just washed it and will reinstall the new pretty engine and transmission. I will be repainting the entire truck. Now I must get back to work. Thank you for looking. Have a nice day.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgThe engine is back in place under the hood. That was the goal for the night. It has been raining for several days and nights here in south central PA. I have tree branches and leaves all over to clean up from the storm on Sunday night and the clutch went out on the lawn tractor. All in a days work. I should be back in the saddle again in a week or 2. Tomorrow I am putting the transmission back in and then it is all full speed ahead from there. Bodywork is coming along well. i only have a few small spots that need repaired. Thank you for looking and have a nice day.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgFinished up all the work on the underside with the exception of the transmission cooler lines. I need to attach them to the flywheel cover. I will do that after I have them attached and aligned with the new radiator. The rebuilt transmission and transfer case look really nice under the old Mule. I put all new mounts on the engine and transmission. New U-joints at the front and back. Had both alternators and the starter gone over. Basically I rebuilt the truck. Tomorrow is another day for the under hood work. I will post my progress. Thank you for looking and like always have a nice day.

cucvrus

Fussing with the transmission cooler lines and the shift vacuum line are the worst part of the project so far. It took longer to get them in place then it took to put the engine and transmission back in place. I hope I can have it running today. We shall see. Thank you for the encouragement.

cucvrus

001.jpg016.jpg013.jpg012.jpg011.jpg010.jpg008.jpg007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg020.jpgI made a lot of progress today. I did not meet my goal of having it running . But other things caused trouble and put me on the hunt for new parts. The old radiator did not leak it was the original one to the truck. I just decided it was in there long enough and it was part of my rebuild budget. So after fighting with the oil cooler lines for several hours. They both broke off. I was busting on my son 2 weeks ago for breaking 2 sets that another member wanted. I am glad that I still had the new ones to replace mine. There was no getting these off. I tried everything and was very patient with them. Even when they broke off there was no getting the aluminum tube from the nut. It was locked tight in there. Same as the coolant level sensor. It was broken like that for years and still worked. I spent a lot of time replacing the wire look on the engine and re-taping all the wire ends. Tomorrow is another day. thank you for looking and as always have a nice day.

cucvrus

027.jpg026.jpg025.jpg024.jpg023.jpg022.jpg021.jpg028.jpgAfter a few delays with the oil cooler lines and other non-cooperative parts I have the engine all bolted in place and most of the parts back on the engine. The oil cooler lines and transmission cooler lines are all new and pretty again. I added 5 1/2 gallons of coolant and 8 qts of oil. I want to change the transmission pan to the HMMWV type with the deeper sump and the drain plug. Later today I want to add the transmission fluid and fill the transfer case. I should with out any further delays be able to start the engine today and back it out of the shop. Last night I was delayed by a major storm moving thru the area. We shall see if all goes well. Thank you for looking and have a nice day.

cucvrus

Great success tonight. I have the Mule running and did the swap of the transmission pan. I had 1 leak at the left rear nozzle return line cap off. Easy fix and checked everything with the light and mirror from the top and bottom. Purrs like a kitten.002.jpg001.jpg003.jpgI like the look of a new transmission. I will add the quad shocks on the front axle tomorrow and get the rest of the truck ready for re-paint. I have the right rocker replaced. I ran out of picture space on my camera card. i have another one installed now. Thank you for looking. Have a nice day.

cucvrus

I backed the Mule out of the garage and turned it around and backed it back in the garage for some left rear 1/4 panel rust repair. The right rocker is replaced and in primer. I am not doing any dent repair only fixing rust. Just want it without the perforation. It always looks better without rust. Dents are acceptable. The engine runs smooth and the transmission is quick to respond. These are all good signs. I must get it in prime and take it to the upholstery shop for a new rear tarp to be made. I had a couple of members fix me up real nice with some tan HMMWV rear tarps and pieces with good zippers. Thank you for looking. I am going to look into a rust repair panel or cut the 1/4 from another M1009 that I have here.018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpgAs always I will keep you posted on my progress. If you care to look. if not well. ???022.jpg023.jpg

cucvrus

012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpgToday I needed something ( left m1009 rear 1/4 panel) from the bottom of the scrap pile. I wanted it as damage free as possible so I removed pieces from the pile 1 piece at a time. I hooked a chain to the front floor pan and pulled and the front floor pan disconnected from the rear floor area. (rusted that badly) Once I did get the rear section out. I was able to unbolt the 1/4 panel with a hand ratchet and removed both 1/4 panels. They are both rusty but I may be able to use a piece of it to repair the 1/4 on my Mule. I have a new OEM GM right 1/4 panel 022.jpgbut used the left one a few years back. Go figure.
Thank you for looking and have a nice day.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpg008.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpgTonight I took a look at my M1009 donor panel and decided NOT. I went upstairs in the barn and brought done an M1028 bedside that I have been storing for 20 years and went to cutting. It is better then the Chinese replacement panels because it gives the genuine GM feeling with Genuine GM parts. Remember that jingle? Then I went to drilling and cutting on my M1009 Mule. I want to have this panel on the M1009 tomorrow. I still liked the urethane caulk and the pop rivets that I put on several years ago. But the time has come for some more permanent rust repair. Anyone need any parts from the bed side. It is rust free. Thank you for looking and have a nice day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks