• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Hood stack

PAm1009

Hello all i was wondering if anybody has tried a hood stack setup on there cucv's. I see them on newer chevys, dodges and fords it looks like alot of work but is really sweet looking. My fabracation skills are minimal. What are your thoughts?
thanks much
kyle

Danger Ranger

A hood stack is an exhaust pipe out through the hood. Straight pipe normally. It has to clear the hood when it opens/closes. Can be a lot of work, or simple. They are always loud. Period. And not normally street legal, what I mean is, check your local laws.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't see the appeal of any stacks on pickups. What is gained by these? Around here there are lots of bed stacks. Some are huge, like 12". Guess folks need to compensate.

jrobinson5093

I installed my stacks to keep from filling some ones car at a red light. I have seen some hood stacks where one piece is attached to the hood and when you close the hood it sits down on a smaller shorter stack coming straight off the turbo.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hood stack is an exhaust pipe out through the hood. Straight pipe normally. It has to clear the hood when it opens/closes. Can be a lot of work, or simple. They are always loud. Period. And not normally street legal, what I mean is, check your local laws.
IMHO this is putting the carriage before the horse, just looks back ackwards.

dependable

While it may look and sound cool, modifications like this are not tactical or practical for daily drivers or real work trucks. If your doing it for fun, that's fine. If I was going to take the effort to soup up a vehicle, it would not be a 6.2 Chevy pickup.

zaxcucv

i believe there is a m1008 in the classifieds with a turbo + hood stack
The problem is that most guys I see with hood or bed stacks are at the dragstrip pushing between 800-1500 hp (Chevy's and fords on the low end, dodges on the high end) and they need the exhaust evacuation. With your cucv you'd be pushing a max of 230 with turbo. You'd look like a guy who installed those hanging balls that you see on some pickups, but they'd be hanging on a vw rabbit. It would be silly on our underpowered little 6.2's.

I just don't see the appeal of any stacks on pickups. What is gained by these? Around here there are lots of bed stacks. Some are huge, like 12". Guess folks need to compensate.
Usually there is nothing gained by them for the driving conditions that these Coka Cola cowboy trucks see. The big chrome ones look silly to me. However, I am planning on a single 3" flat painted bed stack with a weather flapper for two reasons. Mainly to keep the exhaust short and simple underneath the truck to keep it from snagging on brush, and also to keep it out of the water if i ever get into that situation. Many military Hummers have these exiting the wheel well for the same reason. I also plan on an intake snorkel to keep water sprayed from the engine fan from getting in the air cleaner.

PAm1009

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am not looking to gian HP or make cucv my faster i just really think it would look neat on my 1009 with a old school flapper on the top....To each there own
kyle

Cletus09

I'm pretty sure its illegal in many states as it is considered an obstruction of vision. Just like a crack in the windshield, or to big of a super charger, or hood scoop. It also might not be that impressive, because you're not gonna get much more than a little puff of black smoke... However, If the stack is short enough, and your not trying to black out the sun, it might not ce considered a obstruction to vision... I really don't know, just my two cents...

dstang97

If you do it please report to the diesel ricer thread on pirate. If you want to be "different" leave it alone. Oem

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want all my smoke and noise to be behind me. I can only imagine how loud that hood stack is. It would probably drown-out George Jones even with head phones on. C'mon Man!

Tanner

Usually there is nothing gained by them for the driving conditions that these Coka Cola cowboy trucks see. The big chrome ones look silly to me. However, I am planning on a single 3" flat painted bed stack with a weather flapper for two reasons. Mainly to keep the exhaust short and simple underneath the truck to keep it from snagging on brush, and also to keep it out of the water if i ever get into that situation. Many military Hummers have these exiting the wheel well for the same reason. I also plan on an intake snorkel to keep water sprayed from the engine fan from getting in the air cleaner.
Just make sure that the end result looks 'sweet'... :whistle:

'Tanner'

Tanner

If you do it please report to the diesel ricer thread on pirate. If you want to be "different" leave it alone. Oem
Another automotive website I frequent has a section for 'Automotive Abortions' - photos of 'things automotive that should have never been done'.

Wasn't there a similar Steel Soldiers 'Project Rejects' or 'Hall of Shame' thread at one time??

'Tanner'

jmassenga

If you're in water deep enough that the fan is spraying water, you should loosen the fan belts so its not turning while you're crossing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks