• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II Road trip FL to CA 2,668 miles

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it resided in a coastal area. Just takes a little longer to get it where you want it. The winch mounting looks very factory, can you tell if its 12 or 24V? Some of that stuff (seat mounts) can be easy pickens at a U-Pull yard. Make me a list.

SGT LongT

Nice find Top! Makes me want one so I can rip out the 6.5TD with factory A/C and the winch setup. I wonder what kind of axles it runs;) Glad you had a good trip and welcome back.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet truck! Looks like it is still under GM factory warranty? I don't think the frame rust is any big deal. Also do not see any cannibalization. I guess the real test will be when you throw two batteries to it and see if the 6.5 comes to life. As always thanks for the photos.

ryan77

Do you think it was partially under water? Looks like a buddy of mines truck which was in a flood then dried out same rust areas on seat frame etc!! Just a thought i hope it wasnt but you never know!!!

Stonepicker1

First thing I'll do is see if the engine will turn over by hand. If it does, I'll replace all the fluids and put two batteries in and try to start it up(after checking the fuel system/filter change).

???...Did anyone win the 1999 crew cab C4500 out of Pensacola,FL on the 4th of AUG?????. It was missing the engine and trans, Sold for $410 on GL 10058/6350. see picture.
I was thinking of making the CUCV-II crew cab into a dually.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So day before yesterday I was out with the wife doing chores. Had to drop her off at her employer for a few so I took the liberty to head over to the guard unit across the street. While cruising through the parking lot a crewcab CUCV II caught my attention. It was parked in the corner of the lot sitting on a gooseneck trailer. It looked strangely familiar.

Stonepicker1

So day before yesterday I was out with the wife doing chores. Had to drop her off at her employer for a few so I took the liberty to head over to the guard unit across the street. While cruising through the parking lot a crewcab CUCV II caught my attention. It was parked in the corner of the lot sitting on a gooseneck trailer. It looked strangely familiar.
LOL. Yes that is it. I had to get things cleaned up at the house before I could unload the CUCV-II from the trailer. The Armory parking lot looked like a good place to park for a few days. Being the 1SG there helps. I have to many MV at the house.:)

I will need some parts...its missing the right side axle shaft, why????. Maybe bad rear axle???. Parking brakes inop. Lower rad hose cut.

I have to work in Miami this weekend, Will work on getting the CUCV-II running next week.

Nonotagain

LOL. Yes that is it. I had to get things cleaned up at the house before I could unload the CUCV-II from the trailer. The Armory parking lot looked like a good place to park for a few days. Being the 1SG there helps. I have to many MV at the house.:)

I will need some parts...its missing the right side axle shaft, why????. Maybe bad rear axle???. Parking brakes inop. Lower rad hose cut.

I have to work in Miami this weekend, Will work on getting the CUCV-II running next week.
I suspect that the axle is missing due to a mechanical issue that required towing the truck further than allowed without immobilization.
For your sake I hope that the engine/transmission isn't hurt.
If the issue is the rear it's self, they're common parts.

Stonepicker1

I suspect that the axle is missing due to a mechanical issue that required towing the truck further than allowed without immobilization.
For your sake I hope that the engine/transmission isn't hurt.
If the issue is the rear it's self, they're common parts.
I was thinking the same thing.

Everything else looks good. I was thinking of making it into a dually if the rear axle is bad. Just need a cheap parts truck.

niferous

Stopping to eat and take a break.
1197 miles from home. We are just west of Houston.TX.

CUCV-II is running strong.
I saw you. Wish I would have seen the thread. I had a travel trailer I keep parked behind the house and plugged in you could have stayed in. I live about seven hundred and fifty yards from where you were taking a break.

Attachments

onegmjack

Nice looking truck, just a little work and you will be burning fuel. Glad your long recovery all went well. Keep us posted on the result. Dwight

Nonotagain

Check the brake line from the union under the drivers seat back to the rear axle. Also do the same thing with the fuel lines since they are all routed within the drivers side frame rail.

My Suburban had the same rust brake lines plus the fuel line. It was a major pain to route the lines in the factory clamps.

Any ideas on how many acres of land it takes to turn that truck around?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks