• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

Had to replace the passenger side battery. Had a bad cell.
This is the second battery that I have bought from TSC that have not lasted longer then 8 months. no more.

Before I always used Red Top batteries and never had a problem. I have Yellow Top's in my LSSV now and will start buying them for the rest of my fleet.

trooper632

What about Walmart batteries, That's all I use, full 3 year replacement at any walmat in the country, or Sams has Energizer batteries same warranty. I have had to switch out maybe 2 batteries out of around 60 near the 3 year end of warranty. Took it back and replaced without a problem. $88.00 for the battery when purchashed, I always thought the Optimas cost more?

Stonepicker1

Well the water pump is leaking out the weep hole.

Just ordered a new pump from SSDiesel. Should have by the weekend.

That seal I installed in the rear main might be leaking. Hope I don't have to drop the Trans.

Stonepicker1

I had a problem with the batteries going dead after a few days of not being started. Hooked-up the scanner and said I had a short in the lighting system.

I had a new light switch on-hand, so I swapped it out just to see if that would work. Only took 5 minutes to do. Not so lucky. Still had the problem.

Next, I changed the Blackout drive switch on the dash. That fixed it.

I didn't start the truck for 24 days just to make sure. Truck started right up.

So, looks like I fixed the draining the batteries issue.

Stonepicker1

The truck stalled on me the other day coming up to a red light. It didn't want to restart. It was running a little ruff like it wasn't running on all the cylinders.

I hooked the scanner up (AutoEnginuity)and it came back as " lost signal from PMD"

I thought it might be bad fuel, plugged fuel filter, or even the optical sensor on the injector pump. But looks like the PMD went bad.

I replaced the PMD( Pump mounted driver) with the gray spare I had and the engine is running like new again.

I mounted the PMD in the engine bay to test it out, I will be mounting it behind the front bumper later.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Started the truck this morning after the long trip to Iowa and back. Had fuel leaking under the truck.

Opened the hood and fuel was spraying out the side of the injector pump. Looks like o-ring failure on the side cover. Screws were tight.

I took a side cover off a used spare I had and it fixed the leak. Tight area to work. Glad I didn't have to remove the pump.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Phil I have a torx bit and wrench combo just like yours, makes it a tiny bit easier to work on the IPs

Stonepicker1

Well it happened again. My transfer went out.

Back in June of 2012, I picked up a load in Ohio and was heading back to south Florida when just outside of Macon, GA my Transfer case failed.

They don't make the transfer case anymore( Borg-Warner 4401 ) , so Chevy dealer ordered a rebuilt Jasper transfer. $2,400 and 4 days later. I was back on the road.

Now that transfer has failed again. I had to place the transfer in 4Low to get it to move. Drove it that way for 13 miles to get it to a safe place.:(

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Back in June of 2012, I picked up a load in Ohio and was heading back to south Florida when just outside of Macon, GA my Transfer case failed.

They don't make the transfer case anymore, so Chevy dealer ordered a rebuilt Jasper transfer. $2,400 and 4 days later. I was back on the road.

Now that transfer has failed again. I had to place the transfer in 4Low to get it to move. Drove it that way for 13 miles to get it to a safe place.
That stinks. Sorry you had the problem.

But maybe the good news was crawling like that there was no speeding ticket in your future over those 13 miles. :mrgreen:

transman

4401 replacement

They don't make the transfer case anymore( Borg-Warner 4401 ) , so Chevy dealer ordered a rebuilt Jasper transfer. $2,400 and 4 days later. I was back on the road.

Now that transfer has failed again. I had to place the transfer in 4Low to get it to move. Drove it that way for 13 miles to get it to a safe place.:(
4401s come with either a bolt on rear yoke or a slip yoke . I,m not familiar with the ones in the cuvcs . I have some here to compare ,but if memory serves a common NP 241 is a direct replacement and holds up as good if not better despite being rated as lighter duty . If you would like I can do a comparison to insure I'm stating fact . Rick .

rustystud

Get a NP205. Then you will never have to worry about it going out again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks