• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV m1008 volt meter problems

CaptainAhab

Ok so I had a bad alt replaced it with a rebuilt (drivers side and my truck is charging perfectly I have read every volt meter thread in here and have not been successful at finding my fault. .. I have a problem with the volt meter gauge with the key off and testing the guage with my volt/ohm meter I have .02..... when key is turned and truck on I have 0 volts any help would be apreciated thanks in advanced its strange that it would due this with truck off .....let me add that the alternator I replaced it with was from local parts store and did not have the stud for the ground..acording to what I have read the driver alt couod be replaced with a normal non isolated ground alt

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the very bottom fuse? It controls the 24v stuff.

Okie Cowboy

I just replaced my voltmeter, did you clean the electrical connector clip. I had to clean mine it had corrosion not making good contact it's the black one where your power and ground for meter connect to harness. I say clean it and put some electric grease on it can't hurt.

CaptainAhab

Those relays seem to not be clicking or turning on I tried new ones and did no diffrence....I should have time to troubleshoot some more tomorrow I will post my new findings

CaptainAhab

OK so I checked voltage to the bottom fuse and I am getting 26.4 while idle ....and checked voltage at black plug for voltmeter and getting .4 volts but it's erratic I will trace all wires I suspect it may be a loose ground

rhinob

Old Thread.....anything come of checking the relay? Mine just gave up working too.

Relay location next to starter relay as I read in an earlier post? Thanks...

rhinob

Thread not to old .....still working on it hopefully weather gets better and I get to play with it

...and always relevant. I found the two relays next to the starter relay. Here's the BOSCH #: 0.332.204.151.

I'll have to get a couple as I don't have any sitting around to check. Will be back when I do...

harryhr

I'm having same problem with voltage meter on dash (not working at all). Where is the voltmeter relay next to Gen 2? What does it look like? I recently replaced gen 2 with new one and did not see a relay on or near the old one. Engine starts and runs great and charging system works great. I've checked fuses (#10 especially) and it's good. Thanks for any help. Voltmeter worked great till I tightened the slack on the belt for Gen 2 because belt was squealing and that's when it stopped working. Harry

cucvrus

Did you try taping on the voltmeter with your finger tip? It works for me on occasion. I had a truck that just needed a tap to wake it up once in a while. I eventually replaced the volt meter. Check the bottom 10 amp fuse in the fuse box. And also that you have both relays under the dash behind the radio cover plate.

harryhr

Yes, I did try tapping on voltmeter but nothing happened. Where behind the radio cover plate is the relay switch? Can I see it and is it easy to get to? I really don't want to pull the front of the dash off to get to it unless there is no other way. I checked the 10 amp fuse and it is still good but I replaced it anyway but that did not help. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having same problem with voltage meter on dash (not working at all). Where is the voltmeter relay next to Gen 2? What does it look like? I recently replaced gen 2 with new one and did not see a relay on or near the old one. Engine starts and runs great and charging system works great. I've checked fuses (#10 especially) and it's good. Thanks for any help. Voltmeter worked great till I tightened the slack on the belt for Gen 2 because belt was squealing and that's when it stopped working. Harry
The Voltmeter relay is under the dash next to the GEN2 relay and the Starter relay. They share a mounting plate. Remove two bolts on the lower center dash and it will come out.

Also there is a resistor inside the voltmeter that makes it work with the 24v system. They are known to go bad. Many guys will add a 300 ohm resistor to the terminals to make it work again.

You need to do some testing to see if it is the wiring or the meter that is having issues. Remove the meter and test the leads. You may want to disconnect the batteries first at the leads are hot at all times.

There is a picture of the Starter, GENS2, Voltmeter mounting plate in the Doghead Starter Relay Modification thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation

Last edited: