• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV manual glow plug switch install issue

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if I am reading this right, putting the switch in doesn't affect the operation of the relay or control modual right? If the glow plug modual is working than it will still work correctly but if it fails, then you can use the momentary button to override. Am I right or did I miss something?
Yes, thats correct.

sgt deangelo

which blue wire

i have 2 blue wires, one light blue the other dark which one do i con. the switch to? mine is an 84 cucv blazer thanks for your help

rsh4364

My most recent 1009 has manual glowplug activation,its wired to the pos.post on GP solenoid and the neg. post on solenoid with push button in between.This does not seem right .If I cant find light blue wire can I run ground to push button then to ground on solenoid? Which would be best?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck has stock wiring then your setup is not correct.

the stock system works this way:

1 - the small pink wire is hot with 12v whenever the key is on
2 - the small blue wire is the ground for the internal coil, the glow plug relay controls it
When the controller senses the need for the glow plugs it closes the ground circuit and the relay energizes
3 - to add a manual switch all you need to do is close the ground circuit

add a wire to the light blue wire, a push button switch and a wire to ground. Very simple

rsh4364

Thanks,Is there anything wrong with the way its currently wired? I have been under the truck and under the hood but have not made it under the dash yet.

Last edited:

kikbut

I purchased one that has the push button override... how much time is required to hold in the button in say at a 70 degree day and a 32 degree day???? new to diesels

cucvrus

30 seconds on either day. Possibly longer in below freezing. Put a circuit card back in the vehicle and let the system work as designed. So easy a caveman could do it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The time it’s taking to ask questions and figure out how to bypass a system could be spent actually fixing the system to work as designed.
If you particularly want a button for some reason, then disregard.

Mine works perfectly, all stock and no buttons or bypass's.
Been flawless down to -6*

Get in, turn key, watch the wait light, start truck when light goes out.
Doesn't get any easier than that.
No buttons to push and counting the seconds to yourself.

MarcusOReallyus

30 seconds on either day. Possibly longer in below freezing. Put a circuit card back in the vehicle and let the system work as designed. So easy a caveman could do it.
If you want to take Rick's excellent advice, you can take advantage of the expertise of one of our members, antennaclimber, who started a company just to make new cards for CUCVs. You can buy them at his site:

http://www.glowplugcards.com/

Or you can buy one from one of the site sponsors:

http://www.hillbillywizard.com/cucv-and-k30-parts/cucv-glow-plug-card-new/

acthomp781

I agree 100% with just buying a new glow plug controller. I bought my M1009 and it had a manual push button. One of the first things I did was remove it, replaced the controller, and relay, and truck starts very well. The coldest I started it was about 12 degrees, fired right up!

cucvrus

I just use a piece of wire in case any of the components fail. The solenoid/relay on the fire wall at the master cylinder is what normally fails on my vehicles. Not often but I has happened. Jump across count to 10 and hit it. Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you. I am liking driving the new truck much more in the summer heat.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok
It depends on if you want to hack into the stock wiring.

I don’t want too, no matter how cheap and easy it is and actually have three brand new spare GP cards.
Original one that came with truck is still working perfectly.

It’s an investment in the truck.

Now if I were on a tight budget......I would only have one card.

cucvrus

Or sell the truck and never need to worry about it again. But really no need to hack any wires. A simple switch/button between the 2 studs on the glow plug solenoid and done. 2 eye terminals will fit right on the studs and 2 wires will sneak thru the firewall grommets no problem. No holes, No Hacks that you don't need. Glow plug switch is bad a_ _ deed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks