• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv munitions question

Cletus09

I hate to ask such an ignorant question, but I did not know where else to ask. I have no experience with the military and no experience with "fire sticks."

I was just curious as to what the standard weapon was during the period of the the CUCV. I would like to find a replica to fill those empty rifle racks behind my seat.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were some replicas listed in the classifieds a week or so ago , no sure if they are still there or not.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a airsoft want-a-be M16 off of fleebay for ~$20. Not high quailty but from 20ft looks good enough.

Now for the moderator stuff.

Okay, just a word of warning. This thread was started asking about what type of weapon would be used in a CUCV. Amazingly the thread has stayed on on track. Good job guys.

Now be aware as soon as it derails it will be gone. Just keep that in mind.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dummy ones are referred to as "Rubber Ducks". 1958M274 was the member selling them. From the curb, the airsoft version would be fine. Considering when the vehicle was issued, I would agree with many of the above posts, the M16A2 was probably the most CUCV carried small arms.

Tornadogt

I never thought of using Cheap airsoft stuff for dummy weapons great idea and much less expensive that you can normally get RubberDucks sure the weight isn't right but good enough for a 20 ft. look. Humm where to find a M2 from Airsoft?????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a popular auction site where they can be purchased cheaply. They have A1, A2 and M4 versions as well as most anything else. I am looking at a lot that has an A1 and an A2 for less than $50 shipped.

MarcusOReallyus

Fabrique Nationale USA has been making M16's for the US military since 1991 before that it was Colt who bought the patent for the rifle from Armalite in 1959.
During Viet Nam everybody and his mother's brother was making them, like with many small arms during WWII. I clearly recall some in our arms room were made by Harrington Richardson, and I seem to recall some other no-name names on them. Colt didn't have a sole-source contract in those days.

I don't know how long those would have lasted in inventory, though. This was mid-70s.

If I remember what I read on the subject it was colt themselves who outsourced to keep up with demand. They still owned the patent but due to the needs of the military they allowed other manufactures to make the rifles to meet demands.

123mack

It would also depend on the unit portrayed by the markings and time period. The National Guard and Reserves had M16A1s long after the active duty units had transitioned to the M16A2.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can personally attest a m16A1 would be equally at home in a CUCV as late as 1999. Last time I held a M16A1 in service was 2001, though M16A2s have been around quite awhile- You'd be accurate with either version.

If you can find one, a true military "rubber duck" wins for either standing in as a look-alike OR for true military accuracy, as rubber ducks were and still are used in military training. An airsoft replica only serves as a look-alike. As a side note I wish I could find a source for military "rubber ducks". They're hard to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks