• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv no power to starter relay

aspen2hhi

HI Yesterday I was cutting dass in my m1009 for radio install all the sudden starter started cranking and wires started smoking pulled the battery cables removed starter relay put cables back on no smoke did the doghead relay mod truck fired up everything worked except voltage gauge. all good. today went to install radio the metal case slid through and sparks from the top of relay went to start truck starter wont turn. I tried jumping the rad and purple wire with screw driver nothing got out electrical tester no light on either red or purple. is there a fuse or fuseable before the starter relay
help please

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the link posted above, in the second picture(starter circuit), above the word Suppressor, there is a red "thermo wire". Thats the fusible link that supplies the starter relay power. You probably blew that. It is under the hood, on the passenger side connected to the buss bar.

wrong schematic, there SS

Last edited:

mistaken1

The number one rule when installing electrical gizmos (or doing any electrical work) is to remove the negative wires from both batteries. That prevents the electrical fireworks from appearing right before things stop working.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clear up a question from Doghead, on the Starter Relay hot feed wire, the wire to the relay is 3 RED-2Y and the fusible link protecting it is 1 RED-2Z

Using the cheatsheet from the first couple of pages of the Troubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 or TM 9-2320-289-34 technical manuals,
the sizes and types of the wires are:

3 RED-2Y (SXL) is a 12 gauge Heavy-walled, high abrasion, cross-link polyethylene

1 RED-2Z (Thermo HW) is a 16 gauge fusible link, heavy-walled, silicone over cross-link polyethylene

So you will need a a 16 gauge fusible link wire.

And for future reference, the wire size of a fusible link is molded into the black plastic barrel connector. In this case you should see a "16" on the flat surface.

Hope this clears up some confusion

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Warthog, for the correction. I was looking at the fusible link and thinking that was the wire number, then adding 4 to that gauge number, and came up with 20ga(incorrect).

I should have followed the wires complete path, and I would have seen the correct number for the wire. Then I would have realized the fusible link info was right there and did not need to add 4 gauge sizes to it(oops).

I appreciate your prompt reply.

Sorry for the confusion.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your radio tray still laying on top of the start relay under the dash? Wasn't that the source of the recent issue?

mistaken1

12V (or more) of DC acts like a welder. Did you check the circuits you repaired to make sure they are not grounded (or open) somewhere else along the path?

IOW you could have melted some metal onto a terminal that is now more or less fused into a dead short.

aspen2hhi

so I replaced the link and when i hooked up the battery it started to smoke I have looked for areas where the wires look messed up and cant find anything wrong anyone have a clue where to start

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at your relay? is anything touching it?

You could disconnect the wire at the relay, then connect your batteries and see if you still have a short.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better look over that wire, from the buss bar all the way to the relay.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try disconnecting the "new" relay and see if you still have smoke when hooking up the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks