• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV - No start with smoke from the wiring

tbearatkin

Yeps sounds like the fuse-able link. That is what smoked on mine in that location. However WHAT caused it? Find out or you will repeat the magic smoke. In the case of mine it was the drives side alternator. Only required a easy rebuild of positive connector on the alternator. Mine did it at start up. Except mine started up immediately and died like the key had been turned off. Then smoke came out from under the hood.

84cucv1ton

if you dont have something help full to post why bother posting?? thanks you to those who are actually trying to help instead of being a prick.
back to it now. pulled both batteries. load test said they are fine. relay did fail. put in a new one. failed in about 3 hours. aaa towed me back. didnt find any burnt wires. was thinking all was ok.. must of missed something.

you mean your alternator failed and took out a fuse-able link?? ill pull it out and have that checked to thanks

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

1. Pointing out that there was no reason to suspect the starter relay is educational (if you choose to accept the correction), and therefore helpful.
  2. Which relay failed? If you don't communicate clearly, you can expect unclear advice.
  3. It's fusible link, not "fuse-able link".

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you dont have something help full to post why bother posting?? thanks you to those who are actually trying to help instead of being a prick.
back to it now. pulled both batteries. load test said they are fine. relay did fail. put in a new one. failed in about 3 hours. aaa towed me back. didnt find any burnt wires. was thinking all was ok.. must of missed something.

you mean your alternator failed and took out a fuse-able link?? ill pull it out and have that checked to thanks
You should look in the mirror.
Obviously you missed something.

Possible causes are poor workmanship in the relay install such as poor grounding or wire connection. You took little to no effort to diagnosis the problem before starting a NEW thread and blaming the Doghead relay mod . Maybe it would be helpful if you spent some time reading in the CUCV forum and learning about your truck rather spending your calling other members vulgar names you wouldn't have needed to start over 300 threads many on the very same topic as threads you already started.

cucvrus

Oh no not spelling class again. I am failing at findy any humor in not helping this guy out. 84 cucv 1 TON just hang in there. Every dog has his day. I get the same treatment and ignore it. If I can help PM me I will check back later. Stay the course. If I were closer I would assist. I don't spell or talk no how no way. And she and he still get me what I am talking about. we works and gets the work done and that be all. Good Luck Sorry for the negative. Just be resilient. Find the smoking wire and double check your starter in may be stuck on. Just a thought.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please clarify what relay failed and where the smoke came from. Without the correct info we are all just guessing

tbearatkin

Yes my + connector on the alternator failed and caused the fusible link to fail. I bought a whole roll of the stuff, butt connectors and some heat shrink to pretty it up.

I also had smoke when the big 24v resistor heated up but this did not kill the power. My GP relay stuck on, burnt all the GP up. I then bypassed the resistor and went with 12V to my GP. No issues since then.

MarcusOReallyus

I also had smoke when the big 24v resistor heated up but this did not kill the power.

Even in normal operation, that thing can get pretty hot. It's carrying about 100 amps and dissipating about 1300 watts or so. Something like a small room heater. Add a bug's nest or even some dust, and smoke from the resistor is not surprising.

My GP relay stuck on, burnt all the GP up.
Now add a stuck relay and that resistor is likely to be red hot.

the skull

Mine did everything except crank the engine over. I had failed to correctly
crimp the electrical connectors when I replaced the Doghead relay. But it worked
fine for 2 years til I moved the plate everything is bolted to off the dash.
Double check the stuff you think is good also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks