• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV SAFETY?

TOBEXA

so what are the safety concerns on my m1009, driving 1200 miles average speed 70 for 2 days? will this thing hold up? can it take prolonged highway speeds? and how does it fair in an accident? roll-over? flat tire? etc etc.... what major things should i look at before i take the trip? and what should i take with me( that is likely to fail) since 95 percent of it will be in the middle of BFE....serious response please

CCATLETT1984

Check tire pressures and condition, take a spare (and the tools to change it, including a jack).
Take extra engine oil and check it every time you stop.
I would take an extra set of belts.
For sure take an extra fuel filter.
Take a roll of that radiator hose patch tape (seals a leak if you pop a pinhole leak).

They do ok in accidents, chance of rollover is slim. if its a front that goes flat it may jerk the wheel to that side.

ssgtwright-usmc

That a long trip, what 9 hours a day driving.
Id would bring a extra fuel filter and transmission fluid if needed.
I dont know if you just won the vehicle or if you have had it for awhile but I wouldnt take a chance of being in the middle of no where because your vehicle decides it wants to do 35 and not 70.
I had that problem and i thought it was the tranny. After replacing vacuum hoses, tranny filter, modulator and ect...
It all turned out to be a filthy fuel filter.
Carry a few extra jugs of water for the radiator, you are pushing some big milage in one day.

JAsher45

well it all depends on the shape as servicability of your truck. as mine is my daily driver about 80-100 miles a day i have had no problems going long distances at interstate speeds... do a good PMCS and make of log of what you find... check ALL YOUR FLUIDS including your diffs and transfer case... if your truck is in really good shape you should have no problems.. make sure you have a good spare tire, a good jack, extra oil, a gallon jug of coolant. and any other tools that you may need to trouble shoot if somethign were to happen. as for accidents... well you are sourounded by STEEL not plastic but roll overs would be higher then a car because of the high center of gravity but very stable as long as you are not making fast turns at a high rate of speed.

maritimer

wel for 1200 miles straight in nowhere you'll want a full compl;iment of fluids* oil trans collant brake* spare tire, jack, 5 gallons of diesel, spare belts and a valid credit card, valid AAA card and a way to call for SS members help.
as for accidents dont worry your surrounded by 5000+lbs of steel most todays vehicles will seem like a pot hole or speed bump.
roll overs again theres not much worries unless ytou have a high centered liquid load of at least 250gallons in the back your fine. i have some experience with "testing" the roll over limtis of my m1009 via 90 degree turn at 60mph and kept it it rubber side down surprisingly unlike my last vehicle it didnt end up on its roof

allrevup

More of a ovservation, then a sugestion. I read that sustain high speed (50+ mph) are hard on the rear engine seal of this engines, particularly the Military as they seat for prolong periods and tend to dry up.

JAsher45

the two piece rear main seal is no different then any other SBC engine.. if it leaks now it will continue to leak til it is replaced...one of many seals that dry up from sitting

TOBEXA

valid credit card, valid AAA card and a way to call for SS members help will not be possible since i will be shooting down the baja peninsula.........cash is king, queen, and everything there........ I just made the trip in my RV down mainland mexico and drove straight from san diego to culiacan mex the first leg, and did culiacan to puerto vallarta on the next. Hairy driving a 38ft rv that is 13ft tall. you really realize what crown in the road does to you...with zero shoulder.... plus, jackarse semi's booking past you at retarded speeds.....that is part of the reason i did not tow the m1009 behind me. the other is that the only m1009 i could have took was my camo( which i have put 1k miles on since i got it....no issues) and i figured i would have issues at the military checkpoints with it .....plus in mexico, camo would ironically call more attention to myself ....i posed a pic of the rv--- m1009 combo somewhere on this site (that is the only reason i bought my white one)but not surprizing to most, GL couldn't get me the SF-97 in time to get a permit, and i was having these fuel issues also. anyway's, this time i plan to go down baja instead of thru nogales arizona. cross into mainland mex through the port in la paz to mazatlan

pevrs114

Check out www.expeditionportal.com they will have some really good tips on what to take for extended backcountry travel. Many on that site have done Baja. You should be able to find some very detailed lists of what to take, both vehicle maintenance (spares, fluids, belts, etc) as well as camping/living gear.

Creo que usted debe hablar el espanol muy bien para una viaje larga en baja de mexico!

TOBEXA

Creo que usted debe hablar el espanol muy bien para una viaje larga en baja de mexico!

covered...........plus you should check your spelling in espanol

JohnFire

I second the earplugs. When I drove from PA to Missouri the engine drone and road noise would have driven me crazy and a little more deaf than I already am. I have a stereo and Ipod in there too.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
AJMBLAZER said:
TOBEXA said:
i don't get the ear plug part?
He's referring to the loudness of the engine drone.
My 1009 is NO WHERE near as loud as my 1008.....

The 1009 is quiet enough to have a cell phone converstaion with the window down at 70 mph.....

underdog

Last long trip we took in the M-1009 we learned why they had all those roadside motels way back when.
After a few hours at hwy speed with the windows down we were just covered in grime.
1/2 hour shower and still ruin the white motel towels.
Had to stop and buy seat covers as the stock vinyl would tranfer the grime into our clothes and just about ruined them.
Great now thats living. Please sir may i have another. Why yes -- we own two now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks