• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV: What glow plugs to buy? (24volt origial military)

MuddWeiser

Yes.

I have followed the advice of many who suggest running a single 12v battery feed from the front battery lug all the way back to the solenoid. I no longer get 24v at my glowplug harness and the truck now fires right up (after a new set of glowplugs as the 24v killed the old ones...)

HERE IS A LINK TO PICTURES, Video to come soon too!

ftp://steelsoldier:cucv@72.47.20.138

Armada

I saw your pics. Nice looking truck. I really like how the radio rack is mounted between the 2 front seats. It gives more room in the back seat, easier for the driver/passenger to use, and you can fold the rear seat up too.

CCATLETT1984

I have what i am pretty sure is a good set in the garage, and a bad set in the truck (mine went and fried the voltage sense transistor on the GP controller card) then I switched it over to the 12v source and found a source for the transistors and fixed my card.

Juan

You can buy 24v gp (HMMWV) and get rid of the resistors. Just bypass them and everything will work ok. They have round connectors like civvy ones.
The resistors on the oem system, under full draw (8 working glow plugs) gives like 13v to 15 volts to the GPs, (a little high for GPs taste) if one GP fails you immediately get 18 volts on the others wich causes them to burn on a row. Each burnt GP raises the voltage a couple of volts until reaching 28v.

Sorry, I`ve never introduced myself but I´ve been reading the forums for a while now. and couldn´t resist on this one as I´ve suffered myself with the GPs a couple of times.

Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina

mangus580

Jaun, I had thought about going that route, but I am worried about the controller then. There is a voltage sense wire on the controller that determines when to shut the GP's off based on how far the voltage has dropped. I suspect this wont work right if you use this method.

Juan

it works, otherwise when your 8 glow plugs pass out, and you get 24v at the glow plugs (no amp draw, no voltage drop from the resistors) the glow plug module wouln´t cycle, but it does. It happened to me when I tried ot start the engine the first time, I couldn´t get it started and the glow plug relay ticked and controller cycled, voltage reached the GPs but no heat. All 8 were dead, and badly distorted.
Now it´s been 5 years with the same GPs.

ida34

resistor...

Ambulancechser said:
we should find out what the resistance is per foot or inch in the factory bank...resistance wire is fairly common stuff,maybe we can build our own or rebuild the stock units.
Taken from the -20 trouble shooting section on glow plug system operation.

Disconnect batteries, pull out bracket and resistor assembly (see paragraph 4-44,
REMOVAL, step 4), disconnect output (red wire) from relay, disconnect input (blue
wire) from input to resistors. Connect positive lead of multimeter to blue wire;
connect negative lead to red wire. Check resistance between resistors and ground.
Resistance should be 0.28 ohms.

I think they have a little misprint above. I think you should check for .28 ohms between the terminals then check for resistence between the terminals and ground. I think it should be an open circuit to ground.

Chuck

Juan

Yes, AC 15Gs for the HMMWV $8.50 ea plus shipping (EMS)from Mac Auto. Bought two sets just in case but the second set has been sitting in my shed since then.
I´ve made adapters for the connectors since they are round and I didn´t wanted to mess with the harness.
Now if the gp controller goes south the 15gs tips are going to distort as I discover once my other truck controller got wet and blew the GPs. (the lesson: never take the truck to a car wash don´t be lazy and do it yourself)
In this case I´ve never replaced the controller, I´ve added a starter button to energize the relay, now I count to 8 missispi and crank the girl.

Removing those distorted Gps was a pain until I´ve work out a removal tool with a strip of aluminum or copper and a vice grip, to thread the GPs out.

This 24v glow plug idea was not mine, I have to credit a guy that I can´t recall his name that was a regular poster in the old M-37 dedicated forum (Big Electric). He was sargeant in a Motor Pool and they have two m1028 or m1031 with contact maintenance bed modified this way. Credits are all for him.

I must add that my trucks are an M-37 and an M-43 both with M-1008 engines and Spicer 3053A tranny. Both running the CUCV electrical system harness for the engine, alts, starter and GPs.
The cowl vent was slightly open while the M-43 was beeing pressure washed, that´s how the controller got wet. (In case you ask how that could happened)