• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Wiper Problem

Rebelpride

Problem#1: Wipers have always been slow since I have had my M1009, but one day I cut on the wipers one afternoon after it snowed and the fuse proceeded to melt/burn to nothing. Pulled what was left out of the fuse block and only drove the Blazer on good days.

Problem#2: Installed new reman motor today, and it does not have the stength to move the wipers at all unless I assist it. If i assume correct, the plug at the bottom is the power wire, on 1 terminal i get 12.4V on the other 2 nothing. What are the other 2 plugs for, washer fluid and ....?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem #1 may be your wiper arm linkage bent and/or binding up causing the motor to work harder therefore drawing excessive amperage.
Problem #2 may be the same.
My experience though has been these motors have always been slow.
Check page F22, illustration F20, Appendix F, of the -20 TM. This is the schematic for the motor/pump assembly.
I recently had an issue with what appeared to be a brand new motor/pump assembly that once activated would continue to run (slow I might add) and pump washer fluid until I turned the truck off. I solved it by replacing it with separate motor and pump/tank assemblies from a wreck at a local salvage yard. No problems so far.

aboonski

If you still have the three capacitors that I think are in-line with your wiper motor's wiring (used for radio noise suppression) try by-passing them to see if things improve. My M1008A1 had a bad connection in one of these which prevented my high speed from working. When I did a direct connection to the wiper motor, instant improvement!

NPD732

The pink/white plug is for the washer. The white/black plug is to park the wipers. The power plug : gray is low speed purple is high speed and white is power. Check for a weak ground. There shhould be a brass strap from the motor body going to one of the mounting bushings. If thats missing or damaged you wont have a good ground.

Wolf.Dose

Due to the age the capcitors might be dry, so they refuse to do their job. This is a possible reason in the harness. The voltage reading means not very much, if the Amps do not flow.
I only had the problem with the wasche part, so I replaced it by a seperate wascher pump. Else the system worked.
But there might be an other problem: The shwich in the steering columne. If this shwich is having dirty contacts, the current does not flow in the required amount. Sometimes a change of the shwich helps.
Wolf from Germany

msoumas

If you still have the three capacitors that I think are in-line with your wiper motor's wiring (used for radio noise suppression) try by-passing them to see if things improve. My M1008A1 had a bad connection in one of these which prevented my high speed from working. When I did a direct connection to the wiper motor, instant improvement!
Seconded. I had a lot of problems with my wipers over the winter and when I bypassed the capacitors (the harness unplugs and goes right into the wiper motor), it improved a LOT. Bypass them either way.

CUCV85

The pink/white plug is for the washer. The white/black plug is to park the wipers. The power plug : gray is low speed purple is high speed and white is power. Check for a weak ground. There shhould be a brass strap from the motor body going to one of the mounting bushings. If thats missing or damaged you wont have a good ground.
My washer fluid does the same thing now.
It used to pump like 3 or 4 squirts them stop pumping.
I had to turn off the wipers of course.
I don't believe any of ours work when you push the washer select forward
to mist and wipe say 3 times and stop all on it's own!?
If I was to take the pink/white wire -
disconnect it and run a momentary switch, would this work?
I did unplug the 3 Noise suppressors plugged it into itself and plug the wire that went to them into the bottom of the wiper motor.
No difference.

yodeler

I know it's an old post, but my wipers were completely dead. After mucking around in the garage for about 45 minutes I came back inside to warm up and happened upon this post. I bypassed the three capacitors - and success! Once again another problem solved by this forum (and thanks aboonski).

Yes this is an old thread. I just found it on a search trying to figure out if these motors were rebuildable as I saw an armature in eBay. I had the same issue as the OP where the wipers would move very slowly and stop on longer trips until cooled down. The washers did not work either.

I started out by bypassing the resistors and cleaning connections. Still the same issue. The wiper motor felt like it was under high load while operating. Linkage torque caused quite a bit of flex at motor mountings. I lubed up the wiper linkage pivots under the cowl and they work full speed now.

I took the cover off the motor and saw that the washer pump was operating on command so I took the 4 screws out of the washer top. Not much to this pump at all, just 3 simple rubber valve flaps in the head and a plastic piston going up and down in a bore. The rubber valve flaps looked ok but there was debris inside the head. I cleaned the valve head and soaked it in hot water before putting it back together. Wipers AND washers work fine now. No money spent. Hopefully this will help someone else. :beer:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine start slow and slowly speed up.

Sometimes they will stop wherever they happen to be when I turn them off, other times they'll park themselves like they're supposed to. May or may not be related.

Can someone post a picture or really good description of where the capacitors are located? I'll try bypassing them.

Last edited:

Skinny

My motor was starting to slow up from age. I replaced it with a reman from RockAuto...it blew the fuse immediately. They sent me another one which worked great. It also came with all the hardware and ground strap which the first one did not. I believe it was a Parts One or something like that name brand and not a Cardone like the original. Fifty bucks was a good price for me.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bypassed the caps, difficult as the wires were almost too short, and the wipers seem to function properly now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks