• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Wiper Problem

av8rnik

I replaced my wiper motor today. I cut the ground strap (to get the grommet off) on the old one because i didnt realize it was a ground strap. Any suggestions on what to do with the new one i installed? It didnt come with one because it is a remanufactured motor. THanks.

cucvrus

I replaced my wiper motor today. I cut the ground strap (to get the grommet off) on the old one because i didnt realize it was a ground strap. Any suggestions on what to do with the new one i installed? It didnt come with one because it is a remanufactured motor. THanks.
Just make a small jumper ground wire and rivet it fast tom the wiper motor housing. I hope that helps. Use a few star washers and cleans up the mounting areas to get a good clean ground. I hope that helps. Good Luck.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the parts dealers no longer have NEW wiper motors, everything is re-man , so it depends who is doing them, do not expect good quality as I'm sure all are being done outside Canada or the US, that means fast but not good , as for the wiper linkage you need to take it apart and lube it, it's been in there for 30 years without PMS, I have 3 trucks and my 1009 needs work on the system now, you may still find NOS on E-bay, hope this helps,

Hasdrubal

A while ago I bought a brand new OEM wiper/washer assy from CUCV parts supplier on E-Bay. It was $117. Mine was starting to squeak and the pump no longer worked.

blzrgb

My wiper motor works good, the wipers just won't park themselves anymore. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this besides buy the reman junk ?

joshuak

My wiper motor works good, the wipers just won't park themselves anymore. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this besides buy the reman junk ?
My wipers worked but they stopped in upright position.

In order to fix, I removed the windshield cowl, separated the wiper linkage from the motor, moved the wipers to the down position and re attached the linkage. They now stop in a horizontal position and still work :-D.

An option if nothing else.

Good luck.

Last edited:

blzrgb

i think you can replace just the park switch, but you have to pull the motor to get to it...i think.
That'd be an easy fix but I don't remember ever seeing a place that sells just the park switch. If you know where to get one, I'd appreciate the info.

cucvrus

WOW PA must be in the only area in the world that you can purchase remanufactured parts and they work as good as new. The wiper motor on a CUCV takes about 10 minutes to change. I even changed them in the parking lot of the parts store so I did not have to pay the core charge. (I have plenty of cores now.) But still change them out for other people and have not had any issues with the same motors. I did have 1 or 2 fail on plow trucks but that I understand. The wiper motor stopping in the non park position is an easy fix. Swap the motor for a rebuilt one. They are warranted for life. Not sure I may be doing something that others are not doing. I know you need to swap the linkage, ground strap and the mounting cushions. It is an easy fix and costs about $50 US. Good Luck and don't sweat the small stuff. I also never changed a wiper switch. And that I don't know how to do. I changed steering columns when the wiper switch went out. Did anyone here ever change the wiper switch?

blzrgb

I've changed a few wiper switches. It's not hard, especially if you invest in a hub puller. It makes it easier to compress the spring.

cucvrus

Getting the steering wheel off is only the tip of the ice berg in this case. I have a complete Snap On wheel puller set. And the lock ring remover tools I can get down to changing the turn signal switch but after that the pieces fall apart and I have no idea how to keep everything lined up and reassemble. The last time I looked in a TM about changing the wiper switch it said see your supervisor. And the GM shop manual is very vague on this wiper switch replacement. The switch is over $100. and a nightmare to change. A good nice used column is $50. I have made the smart choice several times. I have several tilt columns that also are a direct fit. Not that I wouldn't like to know how to change the switch. But on a skill level of 1-10 I give that a 9. Very time consuming and customers are not willing to pay for that time. I may be missing out on something easy but I ruined 2 CUCV columns practicing the wiper switch removal. Newer trucks are much easier to work on with column switches. everything is under the clam shell cover assembly.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
changing the switch is time consuming and is one of those jobs that takes a calm hand and a careful hand , take your time and be gentle , it's plastic, I've done them with no problem,

richingalveston

With the right tools it is easy, just take some pictures as you take each piece out so you have a visual reference when putting it back together. A steering wheel puller and the spring compression tool is a must.

you can do it in less than 2 hours.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wipers are starting to act up but have different symptoms. They will work great on all settings but every so often they will stop in the up position and not move for a unknown amount of time. I've not found a pattern of when they start doing it except when I need them most so it seems (murphy). I can't move them by hand from their up position but just today I slammed my hood down and they began to work again. I'll be bypassing the capacitors to eliminate a general known issue otherwise I'd like guidance before replacing the motors and etc.

cucvrus

My long distance guess and diagnosis is the wiper motor. Less then $50. for a lifetime warranted rebuild. And also check the ground to the motor. I sure hope it is not the switch in the column. I will never try and change one of them again. I will just change the column. Less expensive and less aggravation. Good Luck I hope I helped you out.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Wow, so glad I found this old thread. I only had low speed, no high speed, and the washer motor wasn't pumping in my CUCV M1010. Bypassed the 3 capacitors (on the right of the photo with maroon wires) and at first there was no difference. Then I scraped the connectors clean(just barely, I'll go back and do a more thorough job later) and blammo! Fully functional, even the mythical three spray setting. Thanks once again, steel soldiers. It doesn't rain much in my area right now because of a drought, but we're on the ocean and every now and then its very wet.

Attachments

Last edited:
Like Rick (cucvrus) said the column is a pita. I changed the switch a few weeks back and it was a puzzle. Im going back to swaping out the columns. I can do that in 15 min instead of changing the switch which was 3 hrs and the column ended up on the work bench anyhow!

Toby76

Due to the age the capcitors might be dry, so they refuse to do their job. This is a possible reason in the harness. The voltage reading means not very much, if the Amps do not flow.
I only had the problem with the wasche part, so I replaced it by a seperate wascher pump. Else the system worked.
But there might be an other problem: The shwich in the steering columne. If this shwich is having dirty contacts, the current does not flow in the required amount. Sometimes a change of the shwich helps.
Wolf from Germany
Hello,

I have the problem that neither the windscreen wipers nor the washer system have been working on my K30 (1028 A2) for about 3 weeks.

I tried to remove the switch on the steering column today, but without success. I removed the steering wheel and the indicator switch.

How do I get the switch for the windscreen wiper out? I am getting desperate here.

Best regards

Toby from Germany

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks