• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV with no title or 97... Buy or run away?

combat jump

Towing yard "owns" (lien paperwork) a CUCV, and has it for sale. No plates, no record of the VIN number in CARFAX. No form 97. If I bought this truck, could I somehow convince CA DMV to title it? Or would they believe it was a stolen military vehicle? Or would GL have a record of it somehwere, and send me a 97?

91W350

I am not familiar with CA law, but you would be good in Kansas. The towing yard can get a title, at least they do here. Glen

combat jump

Thanks, Glen. Since California seems to do things the hard way, I am doing some checking with GL. I spoke with a rep just now who says if I email them wit the VIN, they could tell me if they had auctioned it within a day or so. BUT, they will only issue a form 97 to the original purchaser. Not sure if there is a work around yet.
Kurt

91W350

It did not have to come from GL. I got my first one through the local sheriff's office. They used it as a jail truck for several years. GSA also disposes of some. There are probably numerous ways to get the trucks out of service.

kc5mzd

The tow yard should be able to get the title as long as no one says anything about it once belonging to the gov't.

combat jump

Just sent an email to GL with the details. I just asked a San Jose PD officer, who has no idea. He says to call DMV (they never answer phones, though). Glen, I'll PM you the VIN. I ran it on CARFAX, and saw it has never been titled/registered.

fitz

Like 91W350 said, they can come from different places. I've owned 5 and bought them from GSA, Police auction, and private party.
In Mass You could get a title for it several ways.
1)The tow company could aply for one (they should do that if they hope to sell it).
2)Any used car dealer could aplly for one.
3)You could take it to the State Police Vehicle Indpection Site. They will inspect the truck to make sure it's not stolen and also they will make sure that your bill of sale is legit. If all checks out they will issue you a title and a Mass VIN # for the vehicle.
It can be done, just takes some work.
Just ask yourself it the deal to good to pass up?

combat jump

Fitz,
Good info (from all - thanks!)
Yes, it is a good deal and when this whole thing plays out, I'll share the details. For now, I'll wait until tomorrow and see if it was a GL auction - and if so, will they give me a form 97. Second option is to call the tow company and convince THEM to apply for a title or... contact CHP about the process.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A storage lein is the best and only real legal way to attain ownership. If GL were to send you an SF97 (and they wont) the tow yard could zing you for storage charges. I wouldn't touch it unless the tow yard produces the documents of a storage lein which you could apply for title with.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ca does Lean sale at towing the item is vin is run through law enforcment and the wait is 15 days it is cleared and then you will half to take to the DMV to verfiy the vin no
and you will have title in hand.
Ca has weard laws you can have a lean on a car if it is towed an in impounded and no anval 15 days they can sell it and you are still have to pay your loan. and I know first hand
my brother used my car and it got towed he did not do any thing about it I was in Iraq in 08 09 and got back from 3 tours of duty and no car and he left me one bill to pay it off.
I had to take him court to recover my loss. so much for 2008 ford bullitt. and when I parked in my work shop it had only 1,800 miles on it. and it still makes me mad.

Last edited:

combat jump

CJtroutt - Three tours? I appreciate your service! I was in Iraq in 2008 doing contract work from Camp Slayer.

I sure do appreciate all the info that you guys have shared. I finally got through to DMV, and explained what I had - no title, etc. They said that with towing company lien/storage records of ownership, I could title it, even if it had never been titled before.

I pulled the trigger on this on, and its being towed from the yard in Sacramento to my home in San Jose tomorrow morning! I'll post pics.

WARWAG

The towing yard should beable to get a lien title. If not walk away from it. California is the hardest state to get any type of titling done without a title. In Nevada I purchased a truck that had a lein title. No issues there. Good Luck. California DMV is a nightmare to deal with. Unless of course you speak Spanish and look mexican. Then they would hold your hand and walk you to the front of the line and hand you everything you need.