• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

Funny thing. A guy at work said he had a distributer for a Dodge V 8 Army engine distributer (his words) that only had the 1 coil wire. He mentioned it several times over the past 3 months. He said it was for a military sealed waterproof ignition system. He called it a magneto and said the engine had coil over wireless spark plugs. I said I wanted to see it. He never brought it in till today. The 1 wire distributer for the Dodge V8 Army engine was in fact a brand new CUCV vacuum pump. He said he brought it home from the Army 10 years ago and wanted to put it on his 2010 Dodge power wagon but his truck was too new. I laughed told and showed him what it was. He said Chevy junk. He gave it to me. I told him it was all in fun. He understood and wondered for years how the other wires hooked up to it. Just when you thought you heard it all. Be Safe. He was in the NG. All is well. Enjoy the week end and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I don't always work on CUCV's. But when I don't I try and work on interesting stuff. My current project I will touch on lightly. I don't want to offend anyone. 2010 Ford CVPI ex New Stanford CT PD supervisor car. Its got a cop motor in it a 4.6 liter plant, Cop shocks, cop tires, cop suspension. Not a CUCV but I blindly bid on a few CUCV's that were listed in police auctions. Anyway have a Great Weekend and Be safe. DSCF6880.JPG

cucvrus

Today I worked several hours getting a class 3 receiver on the 1987 M1028. DSCF6892.JPGDSCF6893.JPGDSCF6894.JPGI need to pull my trailer and haul a lot of scrap this Spring. I will not use my new truck for that task. Not when you have an old truck that can do the job. Putting the hitch on turned out to more of a job then I had imagined it to be. I was looking at the bumper and frame section from Big Red M1008 where the donor hitch came from.DSCF6895.JPGDSCF6896.JPG Someone really hacked that hitch on that truck. I also liked the grounds I found on the bottom side of the bumper braces.DSCF6898.JPGNot 1 ground but 2 grounds. Double grounded for safety. I drove that plow truck for 20 years and never noticed some of the hacking that was done while in the shop for repairs. It worked well but it could have been better maintained. When work was done by me it was right or I didn't do it. I was off work for 10 months back in 2006 and the hacking was done by another guy that drove the truck and plowed snow. Oh Well. All Is Well. Be Safe and Have a Great Weekend. The Blues Mobile is gone and back in the owners hands. Check out that military body workDSCF6897.JPGIt looks like a piece of aluminum has been placed under the filler. been that way for 10 years since buying it from Indian Town Gap.

cucvrus

Try as I may I could not get the spare tire carrier back up in place. The age limit should be posted for no one over 50 to tackle it. I read that danger to personnel injury or death. I am a believer. I used the Sawzall and eliminated that big PITA set up. I had in the past installed the winch style spare carrier on a CUCV. That stock set up is terrible. Hitch looks good and I drilled no holes and did have to remove the lower mounts. I doubt I will ever have the CUCV air lifted or tied down again. I do like the class 3 receiver. Very useful. DSCF6900.JPGDSCF6901.JPGI looked at the rear shocks. They look quite OD. Any opinions? DSCF6903.JPGDSCF6904.JPGDSCF6905.JPGI think they may be the wrong shocks or the wrong upper studs. Not sure. I will have to study it further. They are tight. Very odd looking. I will work on these when the weather changes. Be safe Good Luck on your projects.

Attachments

cucvrus

A local body shop called and ask me to stop by today . They said they had an Army truck I sold years ago and wanted to know if I had any parts they needed. I stopped in and I knew the truck as soon as I seen it. It was a job I walked away from last year. I didn't want to get involved. They needed a few parts from a cab floor. Shame was I had a cab that had rust in the roof and cowling. Would have been easier to fix then one they have. I could never justify spending this much time and money on an old Chevrolet truck. No matter what it will rust again with a vengeance. So I could start a new thread about CUCVRUS repair jobs he refused to do. Could you imagine spending $4K + and still having an old rusty truck? I donated a used CUCV GM right fender that had a minor rust spot on the inside just to help out. Be Safe.

Attachments

richingalveston

Thanks for donating what you could. I can understand not wanting to do that work for what you would have to charge we all have to be able to live with our own actions.
But I am glad someone is willing to do the work.
You have to keep in mind that some peoples money is not as valuable as yours. It is good that someone is willing to do the work as well as someone is willing to pay for it.
So we should all be happy that another truck is being saved.

cucvrus

I was thinking the door opening should be completed first and get the rocker and doorway opening fitted properly before going at the floor pan. In the end with a strong squared and properly aligned A and B pillar the rocker would need to be in place and door aligned before working from the inside out. it is not my project but the owner had it cut apart and I went to look at it and the doors were hanging 6" down from the strikers. That is why I refused the job. Too many variables were cut and compromised. My scrap cab actually needed less work. I am trying to share how not to cut into one. And both sides at the same time makes a weak cab that is sagging at all corners and badly out of alignment. See my point? Sometimes I walk away. this one I ran from. Many are beyond saving. IMHO this was one of them. I think smart money would have bought another truck. But who am I to say that? You got to know when enough is enough. I sold him that truck years ago. They are not made to last forever.

cucvrus

Really no one has any opinions on the shock absorbers? I was thinking about this and think maybe the steel sleeve is rusted fast to the mount from the original shocks and someone just removed the steel sleeve from the new shocks and pressed them in place. I also think that the mounts are a large carriage type bolt welded in place. I will find out when I go to change them. Now with the spare tire carrier gone the access is much easier and I may just get to that job this weekend when I am searching for something to do. Last weekend I was engaged in remodeling and cleaning out birdhouses. makes the Wife happy and is a big change from mechanical work. Anyone have any opinions on the shocks and mounts I am open to entertain them. Thank you. I still have the rear frame section from Big Red is the mounts are hacked. Seems easy enough.

cucvrus

I have a Honda that has a hard start condition. It starts if I push start it and pop it in second. New battery and starter. That is what I was told. I said bring it over. This is what I found. Nice connection. Hose clamp with wore ties.DSCF6913.JPG You can't make this up. Fixed in 15 minutes with a cable clamp and crimpers. The clamp was new the other one broke when they tightened it. Go figure. I also went and picked up the trailer plug for the M1028. DSCF6914.JPGI did plan on hooking this up but helped out a poor unfortunate instead. Then I grilled some chicken outside. Why? Because I could. DSCF6915.JPGBe Safe.

chevymike

I believe what you are looking for is something like this.

shockmount.jpg

Not sure if this is the right size for the CUCV/K30 trucks but this is what they look like. GM used this style in the front upper shock mounts for 2WD trucks from '63-'87.

cucvrus

My long SOLD Crown of Thorns M1009 has appeared on a used car lot in Ephrata PA. If anyone is interested. I chuckled because it has a clean Car FAX. https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1G8ED18J2GF115312
But here it is if anyone is interested. Very reliable vehicle. They are only asking a few dollars more then I sold it for in July 2018. He it is.

WOW and just like that it was SOLD.

cucvrus

OK. The time has come. I have been outside cleaning the yard and sweeping my shop. I have found and discarded many things I didn't need and forgot I had. Making several hundred feet of steel shelving helped a bunch. I also sorted and used the many parts bins I acquired during the past 30 years. If you live at the same place for 30 years you can accumulate a lot of things. And many of my interests have changed over the years. Today the sun is shining and the thread is dead. I want to take full advantage of the nice weather and wire the M1028 for trailer towing. I also want to reduce my scrap pile down to next to nothing. Been managing to grow every week lately with all my parts sorting. Not worried about the price of scrap. Just want to get it gone. As spring approaches I will eyeball the M1010 bodies and make some decisions there. Not easy decisions but none the less they need to be made. I will report back on my success later. Have a Great Day and Stay Safe. I have an ala-cart of projects from lawn mowers to tractors at this point. I hope someone else is having a successful day also.

cucvrus

Well very successful day. I only completed 1 task but it was difficult one and time consuming. I changed the transaxle from my Honda wood hauler. I was planning on converting it to dual tandem drive but lack of a welder at this point will put that on hold. It will be so easy I have to do it. Anyone else see how easy that would be?

Attachments

ScottG2005

A local body shop called and ask me to stop by today . They said they had an Army truck I sold years ago and wanted to know if I had any parts they needed. I stopped in and I knew the truck as soon as I seen it. It was a job I walked away from last year. I didn't want to get involved. They needed a few parts from a cab floor. Shame was I had a cab that had rust in the roof and cowling. Would have been easier to fix then one they have. I could never justify spending this much time and money on an old Chevrolet truck. No matter what it will rust again with a vengeance. So I could start a new thread about CUCVRUS repair jobs he refused to do. Could you imagine spending $4K + and still having an old rusty truck? I donated a used CUCV GM right fender that had a minor rust spot on the inside just to help out. Be Safe.
I have a 1984 chevy c30 that has the same rust issues. Ill go get some photos later. My grandpa had it before my dad. It had no door seals and my grandpa used house carpet as floor mats. Also he put the spare tire on the roof so its starting to rust up there

ScottG2005

Here's them photos

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks