• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

ssdvc

OK. I went and picked up a customers M1009 that I had at the transmission shop for the differential overhaul and the TH400 transmission. Ouch it hurt to pay that bill. The issues was it had a lo speed big clunk on occasion and spit transmission fluid out and sprayed the gate with ATF on long over the road trips. View attachment 845062 This piece was all scored and needed replaced. The clutches were burnt.View attachment 845063 View attachment 845064 View attachment 845065 I am not a transmission guy and never wanted to be. I took the M1009 for a ride it shifted perfect and ran smooth. No more clunking and grinding in the rear and the transmission works smoothly. Now I have other things to do. I almost fell victim to a scam deal on my Trail Boss. The dealer that sold it to me 2 1/2 years ago offered me what I paid for it if I traded it on a new truck. I was in the dealership for service and he approached me. The new truck had the 6.2 gas engine The 6.2L with DFM — the largest and most powerful gas V-8 in the segment — is SAE-certified at 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (623 Nm) and is paired with a Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission. I took it for a ride while they appraised my truck. I was really not impressed with the power. My Trail Boss has a 5.3 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 (L84) EQUIPPED WITH DYNAMIC FUEL MANAGEMENT 355 horsepower and 383 lb.-ft. of torque 8-speed automatic transmission. I could barely tell the difference when climbing the same mountain pedal to the metal. They wanted 25K out and I went home with my Trail Boss. I guess they kept their word giving me what I paid for it on a fully loaded truck they had in stock. No Deal. I only have 21K on my Trail Boss. Not even broken in yet.
Rick,

Is that my girls transmission?? Looks ugly !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
May be an image of text that says 'What does it mean when this light comes on?''What does it mean when this light comes on?'

I have looked everywhere and I know it must have been covered before. I just missed it.
I have done a lot of things.
I have broken a lot of parts too.
Even had a drive shaft tumbling down the highway - but I have never seen that happen!

THAT would have been exciting.
Mine was a rattle, rattle, clank, clunk, and then quiet.
The roaring silence! Quick to grab the key, punch in the clutch and shut it down but not fast enough...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was thumbing thru the want ads of the Lebanon County Tribune when a classified advertisement caught my eye. It said take immediate delivery of a nice K5 Blazer. Needs a little work but out side of that she is Cherry.
May be an image of car and outdoors

No photo description available.

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of car

I think I will pass this one up.
Just a little light coat of paint is all it needs...

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thumbing thru the want ads of the Lebanon County Tribune when a classified advertisement caught my eye. It said take immediate delivery of a nice K5 Blazer. Needs a little work but out side of that she is Cherry.

No photo description available.

May be an image of car

I think I will pass this one up.
Simply see my add in the "classified" and let me know!! LMBO....less cost and better shape

cucvrus

That was a nice K5 in the day. It had A/C, power doors, tilt wheel and everything. I imagine it is a 1978. That snow plowing killed and still kills many good vehicles. I had a 1977 K5 with a 400 in it. With the lid on the air cleaner flipped it sounded like it was ready to take off. I was out working on a customers M1009. I was looking at the hitch ball. It was loose on the mount. I tried tightening it. No way. I used a 1200 ft lb impact and could not budge it. I used a long bar and a pipe to break it loose. I see why it was tight and why it wasn't going to tighten. I was thinking torch but it came off. I was able to use the HD impact for the last inch of threads. WOW. That ball was not part of that pintle combination that ball was added later. Any thoughts? DSCF8118.JPG DSCF8119.JPG DSCF8120.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That was a nice K5 in the day. It had A/C, power doors, tilt wheel and everything. I imagine it is a 1978. That snow plowing killed and still kills many good vehicles. I had a 1977 K5 with a 400 in it. With the lid on the air cleaner flipped it sounded like it was ready to take off. I was out working on a customers M1009. I was looking at the hitch ball. It was loose on the mount. I tried tightening it. No way. I used a 1200 ft lb impact and could not budge it. I used a long bar and a pipe to break it loose. I see why it was tight and why it wasn't going to tighten. I was thinking torch but it came off. I was able to use the ND impact for the last inch of threads. WOW. That ball was not part of that pintle combination that ball was added later. Any thoughts? View attachment 846002 View attachment 846003 View attachment 846004
I can remember that Quadrajet sucking big air when the breather top was turned over. Especially on the Buster Boyd Bridge between North and South Carolina over Lake Wylie. Back then it was two lanes wide with solid concrete on the sides of the north side. That made the car sounds even more exciting!

I have seen that sort of thing before.
I found a quick picture where it is an insert for a 2 inch receiver.

Pintle & Ball Hitch Combination.jpg

cucvrus

M1009 Black Lock Out Hub housings. OEM used. I am posting these pictures here for a prospect. I can not post pictures on PM. Let me know via PM if you are interested. It is a Steel Soldiers member that ask if I had them. Here they are. DSCF8121.JPG DSCF8122.JPG DSCF8123.JPG

cucvrus

I can remember that Quadrajet sucking big air when the breather top was turned over. Especially on the Buster Boyd Bridge between North and South Carolina over Lake Wylie. Back then it was two lanes wide with solid concrete on the sides of the north side. That made the car sounds even more exciting!

I have seen that sort of thing before.
I found a quick picture where it is an insert for a 2 inch receiver.

View attachment 846005
My 1977 K5 with the 400 in it sounded like NASCAR with the 4 barrel. It really had no power it just sounded bad. The 1977 400 shows 175 net horsepower and 290 net torque. WOW that is a dog. The new 5.3 engine is basically a 325 CI. Introduced in 1999, the 5.3-liter (325-cubic-inch) Vortec engine is based on General Motors' "LS" engine platform that was launched in the 1997 Chevrolet Corvette . We have come a long way in engine technology. I still love the sound of a 4 BBL. My 440 Plymouth howled like a wolf when you floored it.

Type:5.3L V-8 VVT DI with Dynamic Fuel Management and Stop/Start
Fuel Delivery:Direct high-pressure fuel injection with Dynamic Fuel Management
Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm):355 / 265 @ 5600 (SAE certified)
Torque (lb.-ft. / Nm @ rpm):383 / 519 @ 4100 (SAE certified)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks