• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I spent the past 2 nights attempting to get the lug studs from a 2007 VW Jetta. I was only successful in getting 8 of the 20 studs loose and off. I broke 2 1/2" Snap-On breaker bars, 1 1/2" Craftsman Breaker Bar, 1 1/2" Wizard breaker bar, 1 Snap-On 1/2 ratchet, 5 1/2 to 3/8" adapters, I split 4 Snap-On sockets. I used a 17 mm salvage socket and it was 3/8" drive as I was out of 1/2" drive tools. I stripped the stud down to 16 mm and used that and it bit so hard and I managed to break my Snap-On 3/8" breaker bar and 3 Snap-On 3/8 ratchets. Now as soon as the Snap-On man replaces the broken tools I will continue my quest. The owner had the car since new and the wheels have not been off in years. They are aluminum wheels and the depth of the wheel holes is not accessible for heat. I am NOT a VW fan in any way. I am only doing it because my Son bought the car and he broke every tool he had before I arrived. I am getting out the heavy equipment soon. A 3/4" drive and a welded 3/4" socket to the salvage socket. Somethings got to give.

ssdvc

Damn, that seems like a tough nut to crack !

I have had VW's for the past 37 years. When I tried to rotate the tires on my first Jetta, I had a hell of a time trying to get the wheel bolts off. After that I use anti-seize on every bolt or stud I come across AND the back of the wheel where it rests on the hub. A friend of mine had the same issue you are experiencing now and he wound up using a lot of penetrating oil and finally, heat. He ruined the finished on three of his wheels, but he was VERY happy to finally get those bolts out.

cucvrus

1661595485868.png
The job is done. I had a friend that had a friend that had these marvelous tools. In 10 minutes I had all the lug studs/bolts off the VW. After that I was Fahrvegnugen. But I quickly came to my senses and recovered from that illness quickly. Take Care and have a great day. My Son is going to do a wheel stud conversion kit. ECS News - ECS Tuning Wheel Stud Conversion Kits | VW I would have fixed it this way.
1661595909697.png

cucvrus

What happened to small town auto parts stores? At one time a man could go to work and come home from work eat supper and stop and buy some auto parts up till 7PM. Saturday you were good till 2. Now the parts stores are down to one in the town, and they close at 5 M - F and 12 on Saturday. People like me like to buy local but NOOOOO. I work till 5 M-F and 12 on Saturday. I am forced to go to big national auto parts stores or order online so I can have the stuff up till 9 at night. I need a lousy AC PF1218 oil filter for a CUCV I am working on and am headed for the zone. I do like the free delivery of online parts. I have an old project back and must do the annual maintenance. I remember back in 2015 when I rebuilt this truck how bad it was. It has been a great truck requiring mild repairs ever since. Meet Mr Rusty | SteelSoldiers

Keith_J

I miss Wal Mart open 24-7. Used to work nights so shopping at 0445 was a treat. Then a stunted bureaucrat threw out edicts and shut the economy down. No more early morning shopping. And yes, they had oil filters for my CUCV.

cucvrus

Mr. Rusty has returned. DSCF8832.JPGI have him here for annual maintenance and Mr. Rusty rusted more over the past year. Mention was made by a friend that they would like to have this truck and do a frame off on it. I looked at him and said GOOD FLUCKING LUCK. I had it apart 7 years ago and the frame was thin. I can only imagine what it looks like at this point. But for now, it is still fully operational. It went a total of 145 miles. Check out the A C Delco Original GM parts oil filter. DSCF8834.JPG DSCF8835.JPG DSCF8836.JPG DSCF8837.JPG The box has many languages on it, and it makes no mention of where the filter was made. I know they cheapened up the filter. It used to be a heavy plate where the filter screwed to the engine. That whole base was solid. Now just the threaded part is heavy and welded to a thin tin base. As long as it filters oil I don't care where it's made. During the servicing I noted the small front reservoir on the master cylinder was low in DOT 5 brake fluid. I took Mr. Rusty for a ride, and I was impressed with the power and shifts out perfect. Mr. Rusty has 3:73 gears and that made a world of difference. Getting back to the brakes. I pumped them and they were firm. I looked under the truck quickly and seen no fluid. After coming back from a fast long test drive, I noted a small drop on the anti-lock bracket. I checked and the small leak was at a fitting. I removed the fitting and completed a new double flare on the line and reattached. I bled the brakes and rechecked seal. No leaks. All is well. DSCF8838.JPG Mr. Rusty lives on to fight another Pennsylvania winter. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

I am outside multi-tasking again. I have all good intentions and many things I can do. After a long, hot, dry time here to mow the lawn again. I have saws to put away and hope to make some progress on the M1009 over the weekend. First, I must clean the shop again and get all my tools put away. Funny how that works everything is out and about. Chainsaws are all dirty and dull and all the other projects have been sidetracked and slowed my forward motion. All will be well. I am going back out after lunch and will report back. Have a Great Day.

GunnyM1009

I am outside multi-tasking again. I have all good intentions and many things I can do. After a long, hot, dry time here to mow the lawn again. I have saws to put away and hope to make some progress on the M1009 over the weekend. First, I must clean the shop again and get all my tools put away. Funny how that works everything is out and about. Chainsaws are all dirty and dull and all the other projects have been sidetracked and slowed my forward motion. All will be well. I am going back out after lunch and will report back. Have a Great Day.
Not enough time in the day. I feel like there needs to be three of me at times. My wife probably wouldn't like that though lol.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not enough time in the day. I feel like there needs to be three of me at times. My wife probably wouldn't like that though lol.
I have to agree with the idea of having three of me sometimes. One could go out in the yard and dig up that leaking pipe. The other could get out the weed sprayer and walk around doing that job - and the third (the real me) could go out in a big green truck for a joy ride. And if I had a fourth, he could be repairing one of the green trucks...

cucvrus

As I mentioned before I wanted to clean the shop and get some yard work completed. The work bench was a disaster. DSCF8839.JPG No room to walk along the sides of my project. DSCF8840.JPG Amazing this all happens in 2 weeks of normal duties. DSCF8841.JPG I make wine crates and bushel crates as a side job and my day was almost cut short. Pun intended. DSCF8844.JPG I needed a piece of wood for a repair job and was not attentive when I lowered the saw to cut. Bang the pieces flew and the saw was broken. No blood was spilled. The potential was there, and the scare was real. At lunch I went on Facebook market and located a saw almost exactly like it and it was 15 minutes away. $50. later I had a replacement and finished a few repair jobs on the property. DSCF8845.JPG I was looking at my M1010 lawnmower, tool shed and over the past 25 years it has tilted towards the north. I thought about it many times and wanted to lift it so I could open the doors completely again. DSCF8842.JPG I used a steel sawhorse and the trusty old Hi-Lift jack. And just like that it was up and ready to use again. DSCF8847.JPG DSCF8848.JPG While I was in there, I noticed a lot of paint seeping out of cans and knew I had another project to add to the list. Shame it is all CARC and flat military paints going to waste. I had every color even the lime green and earth colors that were on Vietnam era Camouflage patterns. I guess the cans can only last so long. I still have cans of artillery grease and motor oil in OD green cans from the 60's. I used the oil for lawnmowers over the years. it was disposed of because it was outdated. I found an alien living in the pinch point of the M1010 hinges. He was ugly and freaky. Even the chickens would not eat him. DSCF8843.JPG After a long hot day and enjoying my hands still attached, I called it a day. Everything is cleaned up and organized. The saws are all sharp and for the first time this year they are back in the cases and put away where they belong. Progress. Now if I could get some work done on the CUCV I would be Golden. Time marches on. I have a handicap ramp to build for my mother-in-law. Sad how that works out. I feel it in my bones today. 3-day holiday weekends are extended work weekends for me. Have a Great Day. It is Labor Day so I will labor to celebrate in laborious fashion. Be Safe.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks