• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom bumpers

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have to make the 3 cover plates for the front, since I haven't been able to source them, but I'm considering it done for now.

20151001_184443.jpg

20151002_172207.jpg

20151004_222235.jpg

20151002_222346.jpg

20151004_222226.jpg

20151006_182006.jpg

20151007_234423.jpg

20151008_204829.jpg

20151009_103102.jpg

The grill guard portion of the bumper will be done after this is installed.

20150913_213810.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding job on the bumper install Swamp Donkey. The channel iron was a good idea and your boxes turned out good.
Thank you for the kind words. I wouldn't have it without your, or Andrmorr's, help. GA and OK aren't exactly the closest states.

The C-channel came about after I decided to close those large holes in the back. I could imagine those holes being a perfect place for a wasp nest, and getting stung while working the winch. After closing them I saw that it would be a good spot to tie in another mount. My winch will be mounted to the extensions but the fairlead will be mounted to the bumper. After everything is said and done, I'll have the bumper completely sealed.

I must say that reusing the shackle plates was a good idea you had. It's simple and effective. I probably would've come up with something overly complicated that'd require a lot of welding and drilling, lol.

The winch mount will be mounted on top of the frame rails and I'll use the 6 holes in the back of the bumper to tie it back into the winch mount. This will make everything easily unbolted if need be and strong enough to support the top guard. I also have to take into acount the forces on the bumper from the fairlead in angled pulls. I'll start working on the rest of this after the rally.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made and installed the 3 cover plates for the access holes in the front.

20151014_224649.jpg

If anybody has any NSNs for some of the parts for this bumper I'd be interested. I don't necessarily need the parts but I can get the dimensions from the NSNs. Two main parts I'm interested in are the Slave Port Bracket that mounts on the top left and there was a Winch Guard on some versions that mounted between the winch and the fairlead. There is also an identification placard that goes on the front left with a bracket I'd actually like to find. The placard can be seen in the picure below. Any help with the NSNs would be appreciated.

bae_rg33_haga_plus.jpg

Andrmorr

I made and installed the 3 cover plates for the access holes in the front.

View attachment 588052

If anybody has any NSNs for some of the parts for this bumper I'd be interested. I don't necessarily need the parts but I can get the dimensions from the NSNs. Two main parts I'm interested in are the Slave Port Bracket that mounts on the top left and there was a Winch Guard on some versions that mounted between the winch and the fairlead. There is also an identification placard that goes on the front left with a bracket I'd actually like to find. The placard can be seen in the picure below. Any help with the NSNs would be appreciated.

View attachment 588053
Even though our bumpers came out of the same crate...yours has the studs on the front to mount that placard whereas mine didn't...both were factory new and the same NSN...the cage codes were different so I'm thinking one was a later build and the difference was a design change...did you see the build date stamped on the back of yours? I think it was June something...

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though our bumpers came out of the same crate...yours has the studs on the front to mount that placard whereas mine didn't...both were factory new and the same NSN...the cage codes were different so I'm thinking one was a later build and the difference was a design change...did you see the build date stamped on the back of yours? I think it was June something...
I think it was June 2012. It was ink stamped and is now painted, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

For reference, here is a picture of the winch guard and slave port bracket I need NSNs for. I can make them but I'd like for them to at least look correct. I come across a lot of MRAP stuff but it's hard to tell what's what when you don't get to see the whole thing up close.

RG33_USSOCOM_special_forces_operations_command_MRAP_mine_protected_vehicle_United_States_US_Army.jpg

tucker79

Heres mine 10in baby chanal topped with aluminum diamond plate, beefed up with some angle around 20k winch I added. Need one last piece of linkage to hook to PTO n Ill have it fully operational. Been real happy with the bumper as it gives you a nice platform to work under the hood n lay out tools.
KIMG0103.jpg20151015_142148.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bumper had the little threaded mounts as well but I ground them off and filled the holes. I also filled the round and oval holes on the top.
I'll most likely do the same if I can't find the parts I'm looking for. The winch plate is a necessity because with the winch mounted on top of the frame I need the fairlead mounted on top of the bumper. The top bolt holes will be used for this. The large round and oval holes will most likely be filled in though. I'll probably keep the holes in front for now since they don't go all the way through in hopes of finding a placard.

I know you had to cut some of the center out of yours for proper operation of the winch, which created a drain. With mine being sealed, the holes must go so it doesn't hold water.

Firewood duty has already started and now I don't have to worry about bending the front bumper. As usual none of the trees that fell are accessible from the trails so the new bumper will be put to work shortly.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would wrap the front and sides of the winch with 1/2 AR 500 plate. You will need to cut out the oval in the front plate to match the oval in the fairlead. I would make it where it has a 1/4 inch gap between the winch and 1/2 inch plate so you have a minor gap area between the winch and fairlead in case you bend it in slightly! But that is up to you. I would also put a cover door over the winch attachment port. I have had some folks splice in an in out power panel in the truck for their winch. At that point you can add a wireless remote to the circuit easily. After seeing what happens to the winch in a shoot out you will be replacing it! So it is easy to make your own plate. I have some plates from various places on the vehicle. I will measure them. I also have the mounting brackets for the winch on my website surviveforanotherday.