• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CV BOOT INSTALLATION

Inspector 1

I replaced half shaft boots. I did not want to disassemble half shaft to install new cv joint boots as only the boots were torn. I replaced boots with new old stock. These boots are much thicker than aftermarket boots. I spent two hours trying to use the cone method in trying to install cv joint boot over the hub of the cv joint. No way the boot would stretch over cv hub. I purchased this tool from Dorman. It paid for itself in the 1st 5 minutes. Hooks up to air compressor, expands boot, fits over hub and there you go. A bit expensive at $200.00 but well worth it in saved time.

Attachments

Inspector 1

May I ask where you got the NOS boots? Are those 7 or 10k axles?
The Boots were purchased from SECO Parts :
HMMWV HUMVEE M998 M1025 HALF SHAFT BOOT KIT 5705605 NSN 2530-01-191-8741
( 163461050964 )
My HMMWV is a 1989. This axle I was assuming is a 10k. The large outer hub is round. The other 3 axles appear to be upgraded as they are different. They seem heavier. The outer hubs have flat spots on them. I was assuming that they were upgrade to a 12k shaft. I could be wrong. Maybe the shaft in pic is a 7K and other 3 are 10k. Any advice on that would be appreciated. I do know the boots were a bit large on the bigger end. I had to go to auto parts store and by the next smaller size band as the bands that came with the boots were to big. Smaller band compressed perfectly.

Ajax MD

@Inspector 1

I recently learned that there are "early" and "late" 10k axles. In order to upgrade to 12k, you need to replace the spur gear in the hubs and other things.
It seems doubtful that someone would upgrade 3 axles to 12k along with the spur gears and other work, but not the last one.

Based on that, I think you just have a mixture of 10k axles or maybe 10k and one 7k axle.

Reactions: cwc

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AWESOME device. Thanks for posting.

That being said, autozone sells H1 axles for about $113 apiece. Still, I want to buy that tool for my HMMWV and my other vehicles.

Thanks for posting!!!

T

Inspector 1

@Inspector 1

I recently learned that there are "early" and "late" 10k axles. In order to upgrade to 12k, you need to replace the spur gear in the hubs and other things.
It seems doubtful that someone would upgrade 3 axles to 12k along with the spur gears and other work, but not the last one.

Based on that, I think you just have a mixture of 10k axles or maybe 10k and one 7k axle.
After a bit of research is does appear that the half shaft that I replaced the boots on is in fact a 7K. The other 3 had been replaced and upgraded to the 10k half shaft. I'm grateful for the information received from you . Thanks again.

donquijote

AWESOME device. Thanks for posting.

That being said, autozone sells H1 axles for about $113 apiece. Still, I want to buy that tool for my HMMWV and my other vehicles.

Thanks for posting!!!

T
Got a part# on those autozone cv's? I want to add them to my part cross reference excel spreadsheet. Search on autozone shows nothing for an H1 under CV. Thx

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful. There are three part numbers.

The two front axles are not symmetric and require two different sizes. The rear axles are of equal length and require the same part number.

Read the fine print at autozone or you might buy the wrong axle for your requirements.

Best,

T

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a bit of research is does appear that the half shaft that I replaced the boots on is in fact a 7K. The other 3 had been replaced and upgraded to the 10k half shaft. I'm grateful for the information received from you . Thanks again.
7k and 10k CV boots are not interchangeable

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not try to figure out 7 vs 10k but take measurements and get boots to match. I described this in the thread "CV boot on HMMWV" along with info on the the EMPI/NAPA selection. Since posting in that thread I have put on several more NAPA boots including one that was silicone. Seemed like a high quality product but was gray in color rather than black...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Because apparently I have too much money on my hands, I've purchased the Doorman CV boot spreader tool. It arrives today and I'll let you all know how it works out.

The tool has been out long enough that it sells on Amazon for $80 less than previous offerings with free shipping. If you want to keep American made axles on your truck but you don't have $800-$1000 to drop on new, US-made 10k axles, this is the way to go.

Face it, even if you do upgrade to new, 10k US-made axles, you're eventually going to tear a CV boot especially if you off-road. Are you going to just keep dropping $250-$300 on a new axle or are you going to get dirty and replace a $25 dollar boot?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because apparently I have too much money on my hands, I've purchased the Doorman CV boot spreader tool. It arrives today and I'll let you all know how it works out.

The tool has been out long enough that it sells on Amazon for $80 less than previous offerings with free shipping. If you want to keep American made axles on your truck but you don't have $800-$1000 to drop on new, US-made 10k axles, this is the way to go.

Face it, even if you do upgrade to new, 10k US-made axles, you're eventually going to tear a CV boot especially if you off-road. Are you going to just keep dropping $250-$300 on a new axle or are you going to get dirty and replace a $25 dollar boot?
replacing a boot on 10k shafts is much easier, the boots also last much much longer...

Ajax MD

replacing a boot on 10k shafts is much easier, the boots also last much much longer...
Do the boots last longer because they have more pleats and flexibility? Or perhaps made from a better material? I can believe that.
I'm not sure I agree that they're easier to replace. There's nothing I found in the TM procedure that would indicate that.

In any case, the Doorman tool could make that discussion moot.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the boots last longer because they have more pleats and flexibility? Or perhaps made from a better material? I can believe that.
I'm not sure I agree that they're easier to replace. There's nothing I found in the TM procedure that would indicate that.

In any case, the Doorman tool could make that discussion moot.
yes, material is one, and 7700’s have press fit bearing retainer as opposed to the large wire clip for the inner bearing cup for disassembly. Your doorman tool is for the soft boot, I only see bad things happening with the new style boot using the tool. Maybe it will work, But I really want to see how you take a 1.25in opening and stretch it to 4.5in without destroying the boot. I’ve replaced hundreds of boots in 30yrs as a mechanic, just did 8 boots an ITV last week.

Ajax MD

yes, material is one, and 7700’s have press fit bearing retainer as opposed to the large wire clip for the inner bearing cup for disassembly. Your doorman tool is for the soft boot, I only see bad things happening with the new style boot using the tool. Maybe it will work, But I really want to see how you take a 1.25in opening and stretch it to 4.5in without destroying the boot. I’ve replaced hundreds of boots in 30yrs as a mechanic, just did 8 boots an ITV last week.
Yeah, it could be a fool's errand. We'll see. AMGen and Kascar (IIRC) were out of stock on the inner boot so I have one AMGen outer boot and one NAPA/EmpiUS inner boot. The style is the same but they do feel different.

The nice thing about the tool is that it's controllable. I'll pump it open slowly and if it looks like the boot isn't going to take it, I'll stop and tear the axle apart the hard way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks