• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily driven deuces???

b money

Just like the title states. Does anyone drive there deuce daily, or close too it(more than you drive a civil. Car/truck) and in what type of weather? Summer, winter, any and all Also do you just use it as a everyday truck or do you take it out on the weekends and off road, mud, etc

Maverick1701

I drove my deuce daily when i had it. I drove it to college and back everyday...rain, snow, hurricane, zombie holocaust, etc. as well as playing off-road at the 4x4 parks.When I pick up my new deuce its only going to be getting used on weekends and as a secondary vehicle...

I drive mine just about everyday to work (downtown Vegas), 40 min each way. I did the same at Fort Benning GA. In pretty much every type of weather (except snow). I use it for just about everything.

Brentzilla

Not everyday, but at least a couple days a week. I just get to work early to park it on a side street so I dont have to parallel part the thing.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i've been driving mine quite a bit....drove it to work a lot, but lately its been so nice i have been taking the bike because its cheaper. I got my deuce mid april this year and so far i have put a little over 2500 miles on it. i dont plan on driving it in the winter though unless i really need it. up here they salt the roads and i hate rust with a passion. dont get me wrong, its a winch truck and it'll be behind the shop with a full tank of fuel and tire chains on it just incase it is needed! :-D

Not to hijack this thread, but what kind of milage you getting with your deuces driven daily? i checked mine and combined, driving on my buddies field, letting it warm up some and cool down some, i am getting 6.8mpg and my max speed is 45 because i dont feel like throwing a connecting rod :roll:

redjordan

I have been getting surprisingly good mpg! its been getting a solid 10-11mpg and I do not really drive it easy. I keep freeway cruising to 50 max, high 40s more common, because I too have stretched too many rod bolts and caused other failures operating diesels at high rpms for extended periods.

airmech3839

I drive mine as my primary truck... 35+ miles a day 5-7 days a week 52 weeks a year!! Other than when it is down for maint! usually only a couple of days if more than one day! Burn WMO primarily and some Jetfuel and or Diesel !!

jwaller

the first 2 yrs I had mine it was my DD. still drive it a lot but only once a week now. my hmmwv is a much better DD. smaller and has PS and isn't the slowest thing on the road.

The deuce got about 14mpg. it's modified to say the least. 1100 tires and lockouts and water injection with fuel turned up.

ICFDeuce

I DD my M35A2C for almost a year through all weather all conditions and also took it trail riding on the weekends as well as downtown to some clubs and a few out of town trips hour to hour and a half one way. I still drive it about 80% of the time now but that will stop soon taking her off the road so i can service the rear axles and new tires and some other small mods.

srodocker

when i first got i drove it a cpl times a week to work and back and maybe if i feel good take it a whole week to work. carpal tunnel is killing me so i've cut back... A LOT...:confused:

Josh

Been Driving her every day (well almost). Been averaging about 20 miles a day, every day now for almost a year and a half. Im hoping to beat my 6800~ miles I put on her last year, this year. Also I've been running pretty much strait WMO for the last 6 months, I dont even know the last time I had to pay for fuel.

Also as this is my only street legal rig, I have no choice but to drive it.

Last edited:

jpekarek

I drive my 5 ton about every other day. I took my 6 year old to kindergarden in it last week. Yesterday I drove it to the hardware store 1 mile away to buy a 5/32" drill bit. Then back to buy another one when I broke it! I had to move my mini van, my Camery and a pile of brush to get it out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive mine 3 - 4 times a week, but only occasionally to work. Usually to town and back at ~25-30 miles. I've been getting around 10 - 11 MPG running straight diesel, which is an improvement over the mileage when I picked it up about a year ago from GL. Keeping the tires inflated to 50 PSI will help the mileage greatly. Mine seems to run better the more I drive it.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats what i need to do is start using filtered WMO..... i have been using straight diesel with additives the whole time. the idea i have is way too small of an operation to filter the WMO, so maybe before i build it, ill use at least a half inch line to the filter, then to a storage tank so when i fill up, ill have a bunch stored up. The lady at the autoparts store said i could have all that i wanted, so i might take advantage of that! thats all im going to say about that... i know there are other threads that talk about it a lot more. im just wondering why i only got 6.8mpg. i need to take it on a good trip and see what it is. 45 psi in the rears, 65 psi in the front....bone stock deuce. air filter looks good and all. i wonder if my timing is off or dirty injectors. thats what makes this hobby fun, i am always learning something new about my deuce! :beer:

toddm

When I first got my truck I drove it every other day for a couple months, now a little over two years later I drive it maybe once a week. Life is a little more hectic around here now but I still have a Deuce!

RetPara

Small point of order... The comment 'the more I drive it; the better it runs'... is dead on. Most military vehicles are hanger queens compared to civilian made vehicles. The best example of maintaining by driving was when I had a section with a M113, M109, CUCV blazer, and a deuce. Once I was able to get motor pool to get them all working at the same timeaua ... We started dispatching the puppies every week for motor stables. When we got them dispatched we practiced tactical convoy movement, reaction to ambush, crossing danger areas and all the other kind of **** MI weenies don't normally do. The kids loved it.

After a month of this we had a better OR rate than any other part of the Brigade staff... So the more you drive them, at least on a weekly basis, the better any military vehicle will run.

Last edited: