• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily driven deuces???

b money

If I would use it as a dd it would be with either WMO or WVO I don't know which I could get easier. The first thing I would do would be to get a second fuel tank and put a tank heater in it, and run 100% WMO or WVO. My plan would be to sell my dd car and use this, because it would be free.

PaulbusMax

OK, you're probably tired of this question, and if i owned one i probably wouldn't care, but what type of fuel mileage do these vehicles get? I'm starting my piggy bank to save for one. Hope i live that long.

In the fire service, for some reason the thing to do is to drive a ridiculously big pickup truck even though you really don't have a real reason to own it. I don't own a pickup truck. I don't own a deuce yet. When I get one, I'll be driving it to work. I think I'll win the contest of who has the biggest and baddest truck then :) Driving to work every shift isn't daily driving, but close enough.

b money

Haha I'm sure you will win by a long shot. I also don't own one but from what i'v read on this site they get between 8-12 mpg depending on a number of things. But again for me a huge buying point is the multi fuel capability therefore I don't care what they get for mpg's

Capt.Marion

I averaged 6 MPG on a 50+ MPH highway drive over 180 miles round trip. I can feel and hear that my truck's sweet spot is at about 44 MPH and also at 48 MPH. At those speeds I get around 10 MPG.

Running AMSOIL synthetic lubricants in all 3 differentials, the transfer case, the transmission, and the crankcase, and also running Michelin XL 11.00x20 radial tires; I've heard 12 mpg reported.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have been using mine as a DD since I got her tagged. So far I have about 4800 miles on her in the past 9 months. In town I get about 6-8 and on the road I get 8-10. It all depends on how hard and fast you drive.

I have been using hydraulic fluid to run on, was given to me for free. Once that is used up I will be using WMO.

I cut a full tank of hyd fluid with 3 gallons of gas during the summer and run 75/25 hyd fluid/diesel in the winter.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the fire service, for some reason the thing to do is to drive a ridiculously big pickup truck even though you really don't have a real reason to own it. I don't own a pickup truck.
You made me laugh out loud - so true, at our station, too. I have no manhood issues and drive a turbo diesel VW Beetle. The guys at the station laughed about it (I am 6'3''). They accuse me of having a split personality (Beetle/Deuce) but I get 50 mpg in the Bug and have money left for ice cream at the gas station while they wipe the tears off their faces after fuelling the F-350..gasser...LOL

More to the point; I do not drive my Deuce daily and also prefer to take it on shorter runs on rural side roads (preferably unpaved) when I do. I do drive it to work sometimes. It simply is not fast enough for the "need to get there quick" runs that are far enough to take a while longer each way in the Deuce.

Part of it is that I find whipping the Deuce along at 50 mph on a highway in 5th just to get from A to B is a little boring, compared to driving curvy, hilly side roads (which I like for pleasure).

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 71 M-35A2 and I drive it to work at least 3 days per week and almost always on the weekends for errands etc. it has a hard top and the wipers etc. all work great, never an real problems unless its REALLY hot out side then I will probably drive my pickup, its always a lot of fun to drive though!

flyxpl

Thier is no way I am getting 10 mpg . I have not checked it , but went through a full tank pretty quick . Drive mine at least 3 times a week , and when the temps drop out of the 95-100 degree range I will drive more .

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am going some distance with my 35 I plan on more in the 8 mpg range, I do not believe I have ever seen 10 mpg with mine

rlwm211

I ran my deuce 2500 miles in the last 12 months. I have the LDS motor and it gets between 6 to 7 miles per gallon. I live in a fairly rural area so it is easy to get around here. I would not be as willing to get into the little back streets of some old New England town if I did not have to, but it is doable.
The truck always turns heads and it is a blast to crive for that, and all sorts of other reasons.

RL

RL

b money

Thought of one more question for you guys. I'm sure most of you offroad atleast a little bit, and I plan to take it off roading with my buddies, so how do you like the deuce for mudding/off roading? Would you rather have a humvee or a jeep(mostly stock).

Maverick1701

Thought of one more question for you guys. I'm sure most of you offroad atleast a little bit, and I plan to take it off roading with my buddies, so how do you like the deuce for mudding/off roading? Would you rather have a humvee or a jeep(mostly stock).
they do pretty well off road.
If you wheel w/smaller vehicles (almost anything is) i would advise geting a winch otherwise you are pretty much SOL if you get bogged down
(check out some of the SS rally youtue vids of m35s in the mud)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fdU31KvTM[/media]
skip to: 0:41

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKjtwSw794[/media]
skip to: 0:27

I would also love to have a hmmv too lol

Last edited:

TheDuke

Am I missing something? You guys are running your Duecers on used oil? "WMO??" And full tanks of hyd fluid, cut with a few gallons of diesel??:cookoo: Details please??

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what guys I may be a wimp or something but I have to say I would be on the winch LONG before these guys in the vid, I mean seriously what do we have winches for in not for situations like these?
KK

kastein

I drive my 5ton to work 1-3 times a week depending on what I'm up to. It gets some pretty lousy gas mileage (~5mpg) but as soon as I start running WMO (I know the guys at three different autozone stores and used to work at valvoline instant oil change, so I figure I can probably get WMO pretty easily) I'll likely drive it more. Drove it twice last week and so far once this week. I usually drive it when I know I'm gonna be picking up large amounts of metal stock or construction materials or something after or before work, so much nicer to just throw 400lbs of 12 foot long metal stock in the back and roll out rather than scratching my head trying to figure out how to tie it to a pickup with a 6 foot bed.

My boss's comment on hearing it was parked in the parking lot (I work at a computer engineering / tech firm) was "OMG, that thing is in the parking lot?!" followed shortly by "that thing must be such a chick magnet"... little did he know it actually is...

Also drove it to southern NH last weekend... and by random chance saw my aunt driving to church. She was a little surprised to say the least, though she did know I bought it already.

cyberspace_7

TheDuke - I see you are new to the site...WELCOME! Checkout the top navigation bar and click on "Forum". Then scroll down to "Alternative Fuel". Most dueces have multifuel engines, that can pretty much run on anything flamable...check it out! :twisted: