• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dangerous Trailer Loading

A

A/C Cages

We have some scrappers with their trucks piled so high that the rear bumper is draging going down the roads picking thru peoples garbage and the cops dont ever do a thing about them.

rickf

I hear a lot of bashing but did anyone ever consider that just maybe, due to our great governments financial fiasco, That the owner of that rig may have lost everything but what you see there? I am not standing up for what he is doing but desperate people do desperate things. What would you do if you lost your home and had nowhere to go? I am not talking about you guys with trucks big enough to live out of. Picture yourself with just what he has there, what would you do?
To the guy talking about putting them in his crosshairs......How do you think that makes our hobby look?

Rick

kastein

I hear a lot of bashing but did anyone ever consider that just maybe, due to our great governments financial fiasco, That the owner of that rig may have lost everything but what you see there? I am not standing up for what he is doing but desperate people do desperate things. What would you do if you lost your home and had nowhere to go? I am not talking about you guys with trucks big enough to live out of. Picture yourself with just what he has there, what would you do?
To the guy talking about putting them in his crosshairs......How do you think that makes our hobby look?

Rick
I'd fix the bigger vehicle and tow the smaller one with it.

Or failing that, park the bigger one somewhere out of the way with plates on it and move it a bit every few days while finding a way to fix it or get it home.

There is NO WAY I would tow like that. That is an accident looking for a place to happen.

abh3

I'm sorry but even if they are down to hauling the 'Burb off for scrap to keep the family farm out of foreclosure they need to do it safely because there are innocents on the road too, like me and my kids! It's the eternal po' boys' lament that ''we ain't go no other way to haul it, 'sides, we ain't goin' far..." so they feel entitled to put everyone else at risk.

I dodged what looked to be a 700R4 transmission in the middle of my lane not long ago, just south of the scrap place, yet when I left a chain piled in the middle of a lowboy deck the &^@#$% Alabama Dept. of Public Safety gets after me for 'loose dunnage'. So now I put the chains back in the bins, why can't the booger-eatin' morons of the world throw a piece of rope across their junk!? 2cents

Barrman

So Joe, did you chase them down and add that suburban to your collection?

As mentioned, it wasn't me. I did however pass at my warp speed of 62 mph for the 400+ mile drive home a big bumper pull camper. It was behind a Ranger pick up and the hitch/bumper was just off the ground. I passed them North of Dallas. I stopped, visited my father in law in the hospital, picked up Jennifer and passed them again once back on the road again. We stopped for food at a sit down eating place and passed them again further on down the road once moving again. They were having a long day in 100° plus temps and the windows down.

98taco3

see stuff like this around here all the time. Between the farmers/ranchers, illegals, and rednecks we get our fair share of dangerous stuff going down the road. had a guy pick up 12 tractors from the dealer i worked at. Didnt chain one of em down to his trailer and he had to go about 20 miles to his drop off point. Just kept taking one load after another up the interstate!

firefirefire90

I can't say that his car seems to be in the best condition to tow that vehicle, but at least our chevy astro van was rated to haul something like 6000lbs so I don't think he's overloaded. Probably close, but within the limits of his vehicle.

spicergear

Rick

You know what though...do you think if he's that desperate he's paid his auto insurance? Down or not, making excuses for this is, and enabling stuff like this to continue with a bleeding heart of 'whoa is them,' is A HUGE PROBLEM in this country.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Favorite Idiot

From a few weeks ago at a truck night.

Tow bar welded to the front of a 4x4.

Attachments

Drkhrs

I live by the following adage: If you want to risk your life doing something stupid, that's your business. You have no business risking my life, or anyone else's.:soapbox:

Pawnshop

I see that kind of stuff down here a lot, my house is only 244 miles north of Mexico... I don't know why, but for some reason people from our southern neighbor seem to have an aversion to trailers that are not SCRAP. I have seen new $50K one ton dually trucks towing overloaded trailers with bent axles, bad bearings, mismatched wheel sizes, no tail lights and twisted frames. I stay away from them if I can, but it's sometimes hard to do.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a lot of people just figure if something goes wrong, they will be safe out in front of the trailer.

I'll never forget my friend from High School that had his a trailer jump off his unlatched pintle, with no safety chains, as he went over a RR crossing. In his mirror he saw the trailer come off and hit the car in the other lane head on. It killed the driver, and it was his brother. I'll never forget that.

Pawnshop

I have seen the aftermath of a loose trailer head on collision, in this case it was a small travel trailer and a 78 Buick (the motor was in the front seat), and I was almost the victim once myself. In my case it was a porta-potty on two wheels with a hitch, in my lane, coming right at me in my lowered '62 WV with nowhere to go, it thankfully took a turn and flipped over the curb away from me, I may still have seat bottom in my hiney...

Tlauden

Those are some of the reasons I triple check every trailer I tow is connected properly.... I will not be the cause of someone's death cause I was to lazy to hook safety chains....

An ounce of prevention......

combat32

Sometimes you just have to ask WHY? See anything wrong with this?

Saw this on the way home today and thought I would share.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

He was going 35mph and was fishtailing like crazy. Also notice the donut spare on the van.

If it fits it ships for a low flat rate!:sad:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks