• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dan's M1081 Pick-up and Build

DanM7890

That's the same feeling I have about my M998 because I went through the whole truck taking it apart and repainting it. Now that my M998 is done I'm focusing on this one. I went by the parts store yesterday and got the o-ring, under $3 out the door and I haven't had a chance to put it in yet.

I also have to make an extension for the manual cab lift since mine is missing.

Overdrive

That's the same feeling I have about my M998 because I went through the whole truck taking it apart and repainting it. Now that my M998 is done I'm focusing on this one. I went by the parts store yesterday and got the o-ring, under $3 out the door and I haven't had a chance to put it in yet.

I also have to make an extension for the manual cab lift since mine is missing.
LOL, I bought that little o-ring even before I got my truck after reading that thread! My cab lift works great but I did notice last time I raised it the little mist puff come out of the hydro unit so I am keeping an eye on it... When you do yours take pics if possible for us :)

Lmtv772

Banned
LOL, I bought that little o-ring even before I got my truck after reading that thread! My cab lift works great but I did notice last time I raised it the little mist puff come out of the hydro unit so I am keeping an eye on it... When you do yours take pics if possible for us :)
I remember seeing a thread about the unit and how to replace the pump seal, somewhere here before.

DanM7890

The fluid from the beginning must have been the hydraulic fluid dripping from the seal being broken. I traced it all the way down. I found a couple loose connections by the starter. One looks for an o2 sensor and the other I'm not sure yet.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fluid from the beginning must have been the hydraulic fluid dripping from the seal being broken. I traced it all the way down. I found a couple loose connections by the starter. One looks for an o2 sensor and the other I'm not sure yet.
The O2 sensor looking part is your magnetic pickup for engine RPM measurement. Needs to be hooked up.

DanM7890

That goop is EVERYWHERE haha. Thanks for the heads up NDT. I had to call it a night because it started to rain so I'll get to it tomorrow.

DanM7890

Also that second connection is for the troop alarm switch which I don't have. It's connector P39 so that explains why it's unplugged and just sitting there.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does the truck crank when you jump the 2 big terminals on the relay? When you push the start button do you have voltage going to the relay coil?

DanM7890

I have no crank right now. I have not tried jumping the two big terminals because that wasn't in the manual. Everyone told me to start following the no-start TM so that's where I started. Is there a way to bench test the solenoid, because I have it removed right now.

Last edited:

DanM7890

When you push the start button do you have voltage going to the relay coil?
This was one of the first steps, and surprisingly when checking voltage I had more voltage when the button is pressed than what there should be. Almost 30v which makes no sense to me. The manual just says if there's 24VDC present.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Check all the fluids and jump the solenoid see if it cranks. While you are at it check and see if you have 24v at the fuel solenoid with the power switch.