• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dear God what have i done

Fixx

So I am new to these 5 ton trucks, but have been drooling over them for the past few years online. I dont know why I think they are so cool, but for the price I dont think there is anything that could be more fun. I got on Gov liquid and decided to finally take the plunge and get into these.

M928A2.jpgm925 3k.jpgm9254k.jpg

I ended up winning 3 of them. apparently they are cheaper then i originally thought. I have to go pick them up in a few days. all of them run and have very low miles on them. 2 are M925 and one M928A2. all have the winches. I have some people to drive them back to the farm for me, but have no idea how to start them or what to even look for when i get there. anyone have a video online that shows the start up and running process? thanks.

PS. yes I am out of my mind. fun times.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I owned 9 deuces at one time, around 2008. I said the same thing after I won about 4 of them at one time out of Chambersburg, PA. "What the heck am I thinking?" Well, either you have the money, or you HAD the credit, if you can get them home safe and sound, look them over, fix up two of them and resell for more $$$ than you have in them, and keep one at a reduced cost to you. They are cool, no doubt about it, it's a disease with no cure other than buying more green iron. Welcome to the sickness...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it says they run in the description, then odds are they were driven into the lot and you should have no problems. It's when the description says "does not run" you have to worry. I'd still bring lots of oil, coolant, diesel fuel, and tools when it's time to truck them home. And just because they run, doesn't mean they won't have, say, brake problems.

We always urge folks to inspect the trucks before bidding. Blind bidding is like gambling - you hope you get a good payday, but sometimes the house takes all.

Bring friends, bring fluids, bring funds, when you go to pick them up. And expect some issues when you bring them back, even if they are just minor ones. It's surplus, after all, the military is getting rid of them for a reason. Just hope the reason is only that Uncle Sam has too many trucks.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The single best thing you can take on a recovery is a least one credit card with a high limit and zero balance.

I take 3.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am new to these 5 ton trucks, but have been drooling over them for the past few years online. I dont know why I think they are so cool, but for the price I dont think there is anything that could be more fun. I got on Gov liquid and decided to finally take the plunge and get into these.

View attachment 430802View attachment 430803View attachment 430804

I ended up winning 3 of them. apparently they are cheaper then i originally thought. I have to go pick them up in a few days. all of them run and have very low miles on them. 2 are M925 and one M928A2. all have the winches. I have some people to drive them back to the farm for me, but have no idea how to start them or what to even look for when i get there. anyone have a video online that shows the start up and running process? thanks.

PS. yes I am out of my mind. fun times.
The first thing you need to do is download and read this TM9-2320-272-10.pdf , you should also have your drivers read it before operating any of these trucks.

Fixx

would these things be limited to 40 MPH? i heard someplace that if they don't have anti lock brakes then the government limited them. (going to suck driving them home)

stupid question, how do I start them? guessing they dont just have a key in them.(edit: just saw manual. thanks)

what kind of oil should I use? and just normal engine coolant (autozone "mix with any color" coolant)?

Biggest question. what should I run over first?

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once last week and once this week we have a perfect example of a post that just begs for the OP to READ THE MANUAL.

Great, you bought three trucks and don't know the first thing about them other than that they are cool and have your drool on them. Read the operator's manual a couple of times and then you will know how to start the truck.

Do you even know where the dipstick is for the transmission? How to check it? Coolant? Type of oil? How much. Do they have ABS? Do you know how to shut it down properly?

Good grief man, you are taking three trucks capable of running over a family sedan and killing everyone and don't know that you have to have a special key to start a 939!!

(The last line is for people that actually do read the manuals.)

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove these trucks for a year in Belgium in 1985, and when I bought mine I had to refresh on all the operations. Amazing how much I had forgotten over the last 27 years. I can't even IMAGINE getting in one with these types of questions and not having read the informationon the trucks. To me that is a dangerous mix.........No one here is "bashing" anyone, but these are 21K pounds worth of human guided disaster if we don't drive them properly.

But, on a lighter note....those are some sweet looking trucks. My first auction I almost ended up with 5......

Fixx

thanks to everyone with the help. there are a lot of people here who have already reached out to me to offer assistance and I cant that you enough. as for those who knew how these things worked the second they where born, I apologize I am not to that level.

I have people with CDLs to go pick them up, and even flat beds to tow them if it comes to that, so no worries about my inexperienced butt trying to drive them and killing someone. If they work great, I have a use for them in our mines, if not then they will be a blast on the 200 acres I call a backyard. They are play toys for now and I cant wait to see what they can do.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is how I saw this post.

You are a new user and your very fist post you say you bought 3 trucks and have no idea how to operate them.

We have no idea of the following:

How old you are
What your skill set is
If you have ever been around heavy equipment
If you have been in the Military and have had proper training on any equipment
etc
etc

On a daily basis we have many new users post the same questions. Many of them are teenagers that saw a truck in a music video and just have to have one. Some new posters have years of OTR experence.

All we are attempting to do is keep people alive. Be it you or a member of the public. A couple of years ago we had one of our very knowledable members die during a recovery. His truck flipped during an accident.

So instead of getting upset that you didn't know everything about these trucks the second you where born (most of us weren't ;-) ), why don't you pull up a chair, introduce yourself and tell us about your life experences.

fireball

can't he download the TM to his smart phone and read it like a text message as he cruises the super highways of America. When in doubt, tow it home and then practice, its a lot safer

Fixx

This is how I saw this post.

You are a new user and your very fist post you say you bought 3 trucks and have no idea how to operate them.

We have no idea of the following:

How old you are
What your skill set is
If you have ever been around heavy equipment
If you have been in the Military and have had proper training on any equipment
etc
etc

On a daily basis we have many new users post the same questions. Many of them are teenagers that saw a truck in a music video and just have to have one. Some new posters have years of OTR experence.

All we are attempting to do is keep people alive. Be it you or a member of the public. A couple of years ago we had one of our very knowledable members die during a recovery. His truck flipped during an accident.

So instead of getting upset that you didn't know everything about these trucks the second you where born (most of us weren't ;-) ), why don't you pull up a chair, introduce yourself and tell us about your life experences.
My apologies. the excitement and "OMG what am I doing" of the entire situation made me jump into questions without the proper introductions. let me take a second to move back a few.

My Name is Chris. I am 28 and with no CDL or on road (semi or big trucks) heavy equipment knowledge. however, I do have some experience being around heavy equipment on site as we own some mines and have a number of big toys up there. I don't drive them, but employ enough people that do. I have a bag of resources to transport, fix, and room to play/learn about these trucks which is why I bought 3 without much thought. they were less then 100 miles away so I thought what the heck, why not.

My brother toured Iraq on a 4 year vacation, and while he never drove these, he has a lot of friends who did and can offer help once I get them back to the farm. they however were not available to help pick them up and I couldn't get a hold of them for information on them. so that's my plan B if I cant figure them out on my own.

my idea is to make 1 into an off road, off grid RV for hunting trips in Montana and Colorado. I want to be able to go as far away from the real world as possible and still not have to sleep in a tent. my other plan if these things work well enough is to turn them into dump trucks and use them to haul ore from the mines to the wash plants. the roads at the mine look like **** after the crap ton of snow/run off we got up there, and these 6x6 might just be the things to get around. **** of a lot cheaper then the cost for some new equipment from Cat.

I may also just Bob one and get the biggest freaking tires I can find for it and use it as a farm truck (we dont grow anything so its not like it would be used as a tractor).

Thanks yall for your help, and no need to be butt hurt over my comments, I am a bit of an arss and they will certainly not be the last time I post something snarky.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Chris. Thanks for the update. You should get along fine here.

Just a heads up. Watch your language in your posts. While we are not prudes, we do attempt to keep the site some what family friendly.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm jealous. It's not rocket science, but it pays to read the TM's I'd take any of the three! You said you wanted to turn a couple into dumptrucks, shoulda just bought a couple M929's. You can always sell me one of the winch trucks :)

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,
Welcome aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :tank:

You've already gotten a good start on the advice available and rendered. I'll simply say read, Read, READ ! And then check out the MEMBER MAP (in header of each SS page) and see if someone near you can give you a little seat time or a demo ride.

Again, W E L C O M E ! ! !