• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death of a Multifuel

o1951

General, I believe it would have kept going until there was no oil left and pressure dropped. Honestly - I think you could get the rod out of the way, put a plate over the hole in block add oil and drive it quite some distance if you keep RPM's below 1800.

I expect you will find the rod bolts failed from being continually overstressed.

That being said, you will get many times the life out of these engines if you absolutely limit RPM to 2200. Sorry to say, 2500 is on the edge, beyond design operating range. Overstresses engine, shortens life.

Note to guys who rebuild multifuels - suggest you replace rod bolts at rebuild.

F18hornetM

Thats the bad thing about having to run these on modern highways. The speeds even when 55mph posted, are usually higher than that really and if you dont keep up you'll get run over.
Where ever possible we use back roads and stay away from traffic. Good luck in getting it fixed.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Several points.

First, glad you didn't get stuck in the middle of an intersection or something like that.

Second, the discussion of over-revving, rod bolts and general multifuel reliability should be carried over to one of the pre-existing threads.

Third, I totally agree, when rebuilding an engine, always have the rods re-sized and checked and use new rod bolts.

Fourth-to the OP, you will find swapping a multi isn't difficult. I have done multiple swaps, using forklifts, our gantry crane or the #7 wrecker hoist mounted in a deuce.

Fifth, use this opportunity to pull the front clip, pressure wash and degrease everything and repaint the engine compartment. Fix all the little things like oil leaks that are difficult with the engine installed.

Thats the bad thing about having to run these on modern highways. The speeds even when 55mph posted, are usually higher than that really and if you dont keep up you'll get run over.
Where ever possible we use back roads and stay away from traffic. Good luck in getting it fixed.
Yupp-I think everyone who drives these pretty much anywhere should be trying to figure out as way to afford m35-tom's od kit and some 11:00 tires.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In viet nan, I have seen mulitfuels take a round in the side of the block and keep going at speed, pissing oil everywhere, BUT got the truck and crew out of the kill zone and to safety, It seems that at times you REALLY have to work at killing a multi.

Vintage iron

Sorry to hear about your baby. A&H Recon. Shop is here to help. Like I said on the phone, this would be a good time for a DT466 upgrade. We can find you a multifeul ldt or lds too!

barefootin

I think it may have been a little noisy.......

Just like a good soldier, it got you where you needed to go.......

I hope you get back on the road soon!

Capt.Marion

When you get a new engine, shoot me a PM. I'd definitely be up for helping swap it in. I'm just 90 mins away in MA, so if you'd be interested in a hand (or just some company), give me a holler.

-Ken aka capt.marion

pyro1955

Wow, After seeing this and reading the thread, I'll never run my machine over 2200 rpms again. Previously, what i had read, and assumed based on the "Danger" sticker on the tach, was that 2600 was the redline, apparently 2200 is really the truth??? Good luck and hopefully you can get the truck fixed quickly.

F18hornetM

Run over in a Deuce? ROFL

Maybe I should rephrase..Run under, for the most part!!!
You may not have noticed that alot of OTR trucks and dump trucks weigh 6 times what a duece weighs.

Actually in MD, its illegal to drive a vehicle on any road where the vehicle cannot exceed the posted speed limit by 5 mph. Its right on the registration. So if you get run into, it may be your fault. Good thing for me is top speed around here is 55 mph, but I doubt my duece could do 60.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks