• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decode A3 Axle Tag

Being interested in knowing everything about my new A3. Can someone help me decode the axle tag. All three were painted over and I just scraped/stripped away to get the information off the first axle.

It say's
Overhauled At : MM 558
Overhauled Date: 4 5 99

Where is MM 558 and would the Date mean the truck is a 1999 or 2000?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I determined that my A3 was a 1998 by the tags. I looked at all three axle tags, the winch hydraulic tag, and several other tags. My tags were all Nov 97 - Feb 98 and mostly in the Jan - Feb 98. I then put 1998 on the SF97 application so mine is now titled as a 98.

Thanks all. I did do the Vin info and it came back as 1998. However, given the condition of the truck its VIN at the very end of the A3 sequence), it doesn't appear the axle was swapped out (however, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife). I guess it's back to stripping/scrapping the other axle tags to get a consensus. Best 2 out of 3 wins!!

Also, any clues on the overhaul location. I'm just curious about this. :?:

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The A3 trucks were made from two A2 trucks. None of them were new truck originally. The axles were probably made on an assembly line and installed during the "build". No way to tell from the axles.

Totally understand that. However, my logic is, if I end up with three axles on an A3 with rebuild date tags of 1999 then I would say the truck is a 1999 or 2000. Is this flawed logic?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes sense to me: 1999 or newer.
Assuming yours still are the original A3-axles installed during the A2 -> A3 remanufacturing process.

G.

G - agreed.

I guess it's time for me to get a beach chair and spend some quality time under the truck scraping tags. I'll be sure to share the outcome. If only they used a couple pieces of masking tape when they painted.

OK - the vote is in, here is what I found.

The serial # stamped on the data plates for all three axles are within 31 of each other.
The stamped overhaul dates are within 3 days, all April-1999. In fact, two are the same day and serial #'s within 2 of one another.

Therefore, my logic leans to the truck being a 1999.

Also, I've read the true number of A3's produced is unknown. Estimates I came across are in the range of 500000 to (505484 or 505600). From what I witnessed on GL, the highest number I saw was 505515 along with about 4 others in that 5055xx range for sale in Puerto Rico. Being generous, I would guess 5550 were made. Mine is easily in the last 75 of them. My understanding is they stopped making them in 1999.

But these are the comments of a rookie MV owner. Feel free to throw sticks, preferably in the form of tarp bows... I need some. :wink:

willy

Why would you want a 1999 building date as mine A3 is a 1971
So I get historical plates and made it in to a (house car)
So I can drive it with my C class lic and do not have to stop at the scales
Am I the only one who thinks I did do the right thing
Willy

RealCavDog

And the point of this exercise is . . . .

Never seen a 2000 A3, built, completed, delivered or documented . . .

Highest number known , a members truck, was a 1999, per contract records.

My 1999 was a late 1998/early 1999 and is WELL within the last 200 known.

Wish it was a split brake 1986, or older, for insurance reasons !

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All M35A3s built after VIN # 504923 came from AM General with composite hoods. This occurred in 1998. Does your truck have a composite hood or a steel hood?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you want a 1999 building date as mine A3 is a 1971
So I get historical plates and made it in to a (house car)
So I can drive it with my C class lic and do not have to stop at the scales
Am I the only one who thinks I did do the right thing
Willy
I don't know about the laws in California, but in most states a Class C license is all that is required to drive a deuce because it does not have air brakes and is under the weight limit. My total annual tag and taxes on my 98 A3 are $43.00. To me it makes no sense to register the truck other than what it really should be registered as.

Composite.

That is good information. Is that about the same time they moved the cold start canister off the engine and adjacent to the radiator. Were there any other tweeks they did t that time?

RealCavDog

I thought you said in your other thread that 505490 was the serial number ?

That would have to make it a 1999 . . . I believe.

All the monkeying with titling and registering these trucks is what is creating many of the issues in some states.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK - the vote is in, here is what I found.

The serial # stamped on the data plates for all three axles are within 31 of each other.
The stamped overhaul dates are within 3 days, all April-1999. In fact, two are the same day and serial #'s within 2 of one another.

Therefore, my logic leans to the truck being a 1999.

Also, I've read the true number of A3's produced is unknown. Estimates I came across are in the range of 500000 to (505484 or 505600). From what I witnessed on GL, the highest number I saw was 505515 along with about 4 others in that 5055xx range for sale in Puerto Rico. Being generous, I would guess 5550 were made. Mine is easily in the last 75 of them. My understanding is they stopped making them in 1999.

But these are the comments of a rookie MV owner. Feel free to throw sticks, preferably in the form of tarp bows... I need some. :wink:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/65890-last-deuces-service.html

Check this out for the last deuces (highest serial #'s). The A3wo/w was sold out of Puerto Rico BTW. (the Army has it listed as a 2001)

Last edited: