• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Details on ringmount plate rivets.

ida34

A member asked me to measure the spacing for the rivets on my cab reinforcement plate for the ring mount. Mine came installed by the government. I was the first civy owner. Here are the pics with measurements.

Attachments

ida34

I almost forgot. The rivets are 1 1/2 inch between rivets while the upper small plate in the corner had rivets closer together along with being welded.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From another thread, I understand that the rivets needed for installing the cab reinforcement plate are:

55-1/4" Blind rivets NAS1398C8-5 Grip Range(Thickness of Materials) .251-.312"
40-1/4" Blind Rivets NAS1398C8-3 Grip range(thickness of materials) .126-.187"

Are these the correct rivets, and if so does anyone know where these can be purchased in these quantities? I've found so far that no one is interested in selling anything less than very large quantities. I'm ready to install my reinforcement plate.

combat32

Was the plate added for the weight of the ring or the recoil from the .50? I have everything now but the plate, wondering if I would be good to go since I probably won't be firing from the ring with anything more than a .22;)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the plate added for the weight of the ring or the recoil from the .50? I have everything now but the plate, wondering if I would be good to go since I probably won't be firing from the ring with anything more than a .22;)
Both! The M66 ring is HEAVY! The M49, not so much. The .50 mounted up there adds another 90 then the cans, trolley and cradle add another 90 or so. I'm curious to see what happens when a .50 is fired from way up there!

jwaller

A member asked me to measure the spacing for the rivets on my cab reinforcement plate for the ring mount. Mine came installed by the government. I was the first civy owner. Here are the pics with measurements.
that plate in your last pic is std. my truck came with it and most I have seen have that one.

there is a vid on youtube of firing a 50 cal off a deuce. when I find the link I'll post it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Both! The M66 ring is HEAVY! The M49, not so much. The .50 mounted up there adds another 90 then the cans, trolley and cradle add another 90 or so. I'm curious to see what happens when a .50 is fired from way up there!
There is a video here on the site that shows an M2 being fired from a Deuce with an M66. It's been posted here multiple times, I looked for awhile and couldn't find the link. I think it's in a thread and has it's own thread.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after Dirtbag, hopefully I'll have vid up on my youtube acct :wink:

gunboy1656

I bought my plate last year, never installed it yet. That's an upcoming project. Although that migh change if I cant get the funding for the rest of the mount.

jesusgatos

I just bought a brand new cab, NOS, still in the crate (er, what was left of the crate). Anyway, it's got that reinforcing plate in it. Lemme know if you guys need any measurements or pics before I install it.

saddamsnightmare

April 17th, 2010.

There is a reason for the reinforcing plate gents...... The dead weight of that ring and mount, along with it's height above the cab floor places tremendous strain on the back wall of the M35 cab. Without the reinforcement, my bet is a tear will start in either the top flange or the bottom of the back wall center and proceed to run right to the top or bottom. In the best of all possible worlds, Uncle Sam's engineers would have mounted it to brackets rivetted to the frame rails, but the initial design did not admit of that, so what we have is an expedient reuse of the WWII ring mount designs.... So, if you want to keep your cab intact and have a ring mount, drill and rivet away!! Just my opinion, 2centsfor what its worth....8)

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:???:

gunboy1656

I just bought a brand new cab, NOS, still in the crate (er, what was left of the crate). Anyway, it's got that reinforcing plate in it. Lemme know if you guys need any measurements or pics before I install it.
By all means post all the pics you can. I am sure it will help someone. be nice to see without everything in the way.

jwaller

all the A3's came with the plate and it's a great way to stiffen up the cab of any truck. with or without the ring. it should be about 100 rivets and yes you can drill them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks