• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V in a 5ton

madsam

I would not mind going up a hill at 45. Last monday I was doing 10mph on the highway. I then went up the dirt road at 5mph when pulling that truck with my 816. I don't expect this to increase the top speed, but as I live in the mountains, I am going uphill 1/2 the time.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
About 8 years ago I went to a big rig truck show/ big rig drag race and the fastest truck there was an old POS cab over with an 8V92 Detroit in it. It was ugly but fast and revved higher than I ever heard a diesel rev before. I think it will be a cool swap.

madsam

since the truck I am thinking on putting it in to has no engine or tranny, it is not really a swap. It is a mod though.

madsam

That means my 816 at 10k feet, assuming it raised both trucks at 1 foot/second up the hill, has about :
48000lbs / 550lbs = 87hp at the road... That sucks.
This all depends on how much vertical lift there actual was and ignoring the friction. But it still sucks.

mightyhammer

I'm sure there are slushboxes you could run behind the 8V-92. Take it for what it is worth from a guy whos been driving big rigs for quite some time. Shoot for a manual tranny. You might even go as far as a thirteen or even an eighteen speed if you can find a good deal on one. My future project for my dumper is a Big Cam 400 Cummins(believe it or not same block/head configuration as a 250) these engines can be built way bigger than a silver 92 (8V-92). Autos break and wear out under high torque loads...Nothin' like a good bulletproof(depending on who is grinding it:) manual...COOP

mightyhammer

By the way....This is my real job...In case anyone was wonderin' if I know what I'm talkin' bout....2001 KW T800, 550 CAT, 18 Double overdrive, Two speed Eaton rear axles with double lockers.....Any questions???

Attachments

Armada

Any questions???
Yes. Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn last night? LOL Seriously, good info. Same block/head configuration as a 250, eh? Keep us posted on your build-up. Great picture you posted. Looks like northern MI. Roughly, what is the weight of a load of green logs?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that 92 Series would do you a good job. It has all the potiential that you need for a 5 Ton. You can run it easy enough, to 2500 RPMs without doing anything extra. Mine is rated at 475 hp, but you can also increase the injector size. Doubt that you will need to. Not sure you can fit in a newer tranny. They are much longer then the straight 5 speed. But maybe you can set the whole works a little farther ahead. But with a 92, I think the stock tranny would work. It has enough low end torque to keep you going. I'd go through it first though. They aren't too expensive to work on, and you could make it a point to seal all the threaded fasteners. That is usually where all the leaks come from.

Lee in Alaska

mightyhammer

Yes....Both a 250 and 400 cummins and all in between and some larger(455) are 855 cubic inches.. Difference is injectors, cam and some other minor things, but basically same heads and block. Load of green logs for legal weight is around 32-35000 lbs. depending on how close to legal you need to be. I think that an 8V-92 would be awesome in a 5 ton....Might have some clearance issues...depends on how handy a fella is:) COOP

truckdoctor

I am coming in late on this thread, so please forgive me. An allison ht-750 would be the right bellhousing size for that 8v92. It would be the same trans that is in an oshkosh m911. If you look for one out of a euclid haul truck or terex haul truck, you can get the tranny with a retarder in it. THat with jake brakes on the engine, you would never use the wheel brakes ever again. The 8v92 can be pumped up to 750 or 760 hp with factory parts. It'll go higher with some massaging. Good luck on the project. 8v71's and 8v92's are the same block and head outer dimensions, just the bore is different. Most 71 parts will fit 92's if that helps you with the swap.

madsam

Thanks for the info, I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do with it. (Or just sell it. )

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroits are another of those love/hate items. We have a 8v92, a 6v53 we just redid the heads on and an 8v71, all of which we like very well. You can so easily modify the power rating on these engines by just changing out the injectors, no fuel injection pump to mess with. These engines have gotten the bad press of being oil leakers, but we can tell you without a doubt that if they are properly assembled by a careful and knowledgeable mechanic, they are as oil dry as any other engine. Also, if proper attention is not given to fuel rack adjustments, they can lose power, again adding to bad press. I still have to laugh when someone says "You have to wind them so high to get any power!!". They do not stop to think it only sounds like it is winding high because it fires twice as often as a four stroke. Very few other engines on the market will match them for torque output. The auto trans best be matched to the engine characteristics, or it will take it out to lunch very quickly.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks