• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit locker question

CUCVLOVER

I looked around and couldn't find what I needed to know to I guess I'll just ask my question.

I have a 1986 n1008 That as far as I know the running gear is stock and sometimes it will spin both rear tires and sometimes only one. I was on the side of a muddy hill and floored it the truck slung around spinning both tires. Today I backed down this slight incline (i did turn as i backed up) and it was wet and it only spun the passenger side tire I spun it a few times and still no locking why would this happen?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Smokinyoda

Have you checked to make sure your truck still has a locker? I bought a 1008 once with no rear locker and a Dana 44 in place of the 60 up front. Dont take anything for granted, always verify what you have before you need it.

CUCVLOVER

Have you checked to make sure your truck still has a locker? I bought a 1008 once with no rear locker and a Dana 44 in place of the 60 up front. Dont take anything for granted, always verify what you have before you need it.
I guess it does some times if I'm Setting still with the window down and I change gears I hear a clink followed by the normal truck rocking clunk of the slack coming out of the rearend. I just don't remember if it does when I go from reverse to drive or vice versa.

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

Jack up the rear end and rotate a tire to see which direction opposite tire rotates. Or better yet pull the cover to see first hand what you have.

Where in West TN you at? I just moved here 2 years ago from Ripley, which was about 50 miles north of Memphis.

CUCVLOVER

Thanks for the link.

Smokinyoda i live outside of Milan out past the arsenal like you are going to Lavinia or highway 70. The road I'm on is race track rd it cuts between little grove rd and 104.

Last edited:

Gunzy

It could have a "Limited slip" differential which acts different than a "locker" does and is capable of spinning both tires in forward motion but tends not to in reverse. The only way to be totaly sure of what you have is to pull the cover an visually inspect it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jack up one tire and spin it by hand. If it feels like something is broken inside, it has a Detroit locker :)
Could have a gov-lock swapped into it. I toasted a few of those back in the day. They sound like something is broken inside them too.

It could have a "Limited slip" differential which acts different than a "locker" does and is capable of spinning both tires in forward motion but tends not to in reverse. The only way to be totaly sure of what you have is to pull the cover an visually inspect it.
Visual inspection is difficult with a 14b FF rear since the carrier is "enclosed". Easiest way would be to jack up one wheel then try jerking it back and forth. If it unlocks and allows free movement, it's a locker. If it will not unlock. Lift both tires. If it rotates backwards, it's open or a gov-lock.

From the description, it sounds like it's a gov-bomb, I mean lock.

marks86

have a buddy watch you spin the back tires, if only one spins you do not have a Detroit locker. A Detroit is not like a posi where sometimes it works. A Detroit is both wheels all the time.

R Racing

It sounds like you have a limited slip differential instead of a locker. Lockers are extremely heavy duty and give you posi all the time. They unlock momentary when they bind in hard cornering. I had a locker jam once on my m920. I thought I had broken a axle. But when I took it apart I found the spider gear had cocked sideways and jammed. It was a easy fix to unjam it. And bought a spare axle for nothing.

CUCVLOVER

It sounds like you have a limited slip differential instead of a locker. Lockers are extremely heavy duty and give you posi all the time. They unlock momentary when they bind in hard cornering. I had a locker jam once on my m920. I thought I had broken a axle. But when I took it apart I found the spider gear had cocked sideways and jammed. It was a easy fix to unjam it. And bought a spare axle for nothing.
I had just made a very tight reverse left and I started to go forward and it only spun the passenger side tire I only spun it a couple times and put it in 4x4 to keep from ripping up ground. Today I was in some wet grass and stomped the accelerator and It spun both tires in drive without power braking. I tried power breaking and it spun the passenger side tire.
I backed up and put it back in drive and it spun both.
Then I Backed out onto to black top and it only spun the passenger tire in reverse.
I power braked in drive again and it spun the passenger side only.
Sorry for the long post.

CUCVLOVER

I should be in town tomorrow so I guess I'll get the stuff and check it out but it might be next week before I get time to yank the cover. But i should have time to try jacking up the back and try the tire turning thing.

This here is my truck I thought yall might like some pics

Attachments

Last edited:

rsh4364

Nice looking truck/rig.My bet its a posi unit,I have a gov lock in my 1009 and a Detroit locker in my ford 9 inch in my 79 Malibu,they both spin in forward,the 1009 in grass, mud and snow and the Malibu everywhere! Remember these trucks are old,who knows what previous owners have modified!Are you sure you still have 456 gears.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

The truck should have the original running gear. The previous owner said it was bought from the Arkansas forestry service.
He said it had all original running gear. With the 285/75/16 tires I run the mph to rpm ratio is right with the charts I have seen I'd like to see a pics of the Malibu just pm it to me if you would.

Keith_J

I've noticed these trucks are hard to turn when in reverse or more accurately, they seem to struggle to back up when turning. Lots of slip in the torque converter. This only happens on hard surfaces with good traction, off road isn't an issue

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks