• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce age, or how old is it really?

randyscycle

I have been getting my 85 M35A2 all set and finally is on the road and operational. Love driving it!

Anyway, as I have been under it a fair amount, I started wondering after finding some old exhaust hangers how old this truck really was?

I remember that there was the article on Deuce ID by Mr Doyle here sometime ago, but it was pulled due to copyright issues. Does anyone know a way to approximate a year of build somewhat easily? Wouldn't have to be exact, just a general idea.

What I do know:

• It has several exhaust hangers on the right frame rail.
  • There is a provision in the floor for a starter switch, but looks like its plate has never been knocked out.
  • It has a 1989 rebuild tag on the engine, and the truck is an 85. Seems pretty sudden for a rebuild.
  • It has the box drivers seat.
  • Everything else indicates 1985 vintage
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most deuces are 1950-2008 vintage, in one part or another.

My truck is a 1967, with a 1988 tranny, 1978 transfer case, and a 1984 engine.

jasonjc

That does NOT sound like an '85 to me. What in the vin number stamped on the frame on? That will tell what it is.

randyscycle

The VIN on the data plate and the title match, which is the most important to me. Where on the frame is the VIN stamped?

I don't have my TM's with me right now, but I can look that up later. Not trying to be lazy.

I will also try contacting CARNAC later. Thanks for the lead!

dittle

Sounds like you had an old M35 w/out turbo that had been upgraded to the A2 status. The ones w/out turbo had the exhaust coming out beside the right side duals.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean when you say " everything else indicates a 1985 vintage"? If it's a 1985 the first two numbers on the regisration number should be "85" and the first two numbers of the S/N should be "09". With exhaust hangers under the truck I'm going to say it's going to be a mid to late '60s truck.

randyscycle

What do you mean when you say " everything else indicates a 1985 vintage"?
The fact that the guage panel looks like all the other similar vintage trucks I have seen or seen pics of, and the switches are all of the later design, and don't appear to have been changed. That of course isn't to say that the whole dash wasn't switched out at some point or it was a really clean job.

I also just went by the ID plate, which obviously was replaced during a rebuild as well.

Seems quite possible from all the info above, this truck was a rebuild and is older than its current title states. Not at all an issue for me, but I'd just like to know the history of it if possible.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If the truck was a gasser that has been repowered the panel containing the gauges will be a flat piece of plate. Trucks that were built as multifuels have a rolled seam around the perimeter of the plate.

HTH,
David

hole

I'd have to agree that its a mid / late 60's truck with exhaust hangers on the frame. I also thought ( might be wrong) that in 85 they started the dual curcuit brake system. If your truck still has the " hood # stenciled on the inside of the doors that could help ID it too. My trucks original Vin was restamped but the hood number was what ID'ed it as a 52 studebaker ,as they almost never changed the hood number according to D Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The numbers will tell the story. The foot starter hole that wasn't punched out is more likely the stamp from where the pedals would come up if the cab were installed on a 5 ton. In the absence of numbers, take a look at the right rear frame mount for the engine. It's right behind he right shock mount. If this is bolted in place, it was a gasser. The 85's also had different "Handles" on the frame. Earlier handles look like a U bolt where the newer ones more like a drawer pull.

randyscycle

Well, the dash panel has a rolled lip, but could it have been changed?

The hood numbers are long gone or covered by the thick layer of CARC on it now.

I will check the motor mount to see what it looks like.

I tried to see the frame numbers, but they too are covered with a heavy layer of CARC, so I will need to do a little scraping to see what that reveals.

The frame "handles" are U-bolts for sure. Not the drawer-pull type or formed ones.

Again, Thank You all for this information! It is much appreciated!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Factory gauge clusters have an embossed rim whether for gas or multifuel, but I don't recall ever seeing a converted truck with an embossed rim on the gauge cluster.

Kenny is sending you in the right direction with regard to the motor mount. And of course, the stamped frame numbers don't lie. Could be nine numbers, six numbers, or five numbers preceded by an M, and should be stamped on the frame under the either front fender. Sometimes you are really lucky and the date is stamped in there too. BUT 10872QQ5 is NOT the VIN number.

Regards,
David

randyscycle

Here's what I just found:

• The motor mount is riveted to the frame.
  • The tag on the dash reads: Truck Cargo M35A2 WW
  • The ID number is: NK00VX-72-0539-15198
  • The number stamped in the frame on the left side rail is 0539-15198 It does not appear to have been altered in any way that I can see.
  • The winch was also overhauled in 1988 per the tag on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks