• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce age, or how old is it really?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The -72 is actually a suffix to the registration number - which is NK00VX - and in fact is the year of delivery. The 0539-15198 is the manufacturer's serial number - or what is commonly called the VIN.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's what I just found:

• The motor mount is riveted to the frame.
  • The tag on the dash reads: Truck Cargo M35A2 WW
  • The ID number is: NK00VX-72-0539-15198
  • The number stamped in the frame on the left side rail is 0539-15198 It does not appear to have been altered in any way that I can see.
  • The winch was also overhauled in 1988 per the tag on it.
Keep in mind that PVT Joe Snuffy punched this data in on a Monday after an all weekend I&I.

Organization:
372D MILITARY POLICE CO
MARYLAND
Nomenclature:
TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:
M35A2 W/W NSN:
2320000771617 Serial Number:
53915198 Registration Number:
NK00VX Year of Mfg:
1971 Manufacturer:
65909 Usage Miles: 6590Date:Sep80

Turned into Ft Meade Directorate of Logistics for disposition.

Hope this helps but if David Doyle says it's a different year, it is what he says.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm still a bit unclear; is that the date of delivery for the contract, or my particular truck?
YOUR truck - the date of the contract is in the contract number (at least during this time period).

The contract date is not (usually) the same as the delivery date. And in fact, counter to what a lot of folks think - the contract date is usually NOT the same as a delivery date.

Here is an example (this is a real truck):

0325-29661 is the manufacturer's serial number (often referred to as a VIN number)
04D08170 is the registration number. In this system the "70" is the delivery date (note, through the years Uncle Sam has used a number of registration number system, so this does not always hold true.

In the registration number, the 04 indicates it is a 2 1/2 ton truck. The first of these delivered in 1970 would have had the registration number 04A00070. After 04A99970 the next number was 04B00070 - so the truck in this example is the 4081st truck delivered in 1970.

The contract number for this truck was DAAE-06-68-C-0007 - a 1968 contract. Someone had an article not too long ago in Military Vehicles Magazine explaining the contract number pattern.

On another example:

0539-15538 Mfr's serial number
NKO1PL-72 registration number - with year suffix (I believe the suffix was dropped during 1972) the NK indicates it is a 2 1/2 ton truck with compression-ignition engine (it may even be specific to Multifuel - I simply don't remember at the moment)
DAAE06-70-C-0001 is the contract number

The registration number is pretty much useless for everyone but the military, and the novelty of knowing it and painting on the truck.

Hope this helps,
David

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Normally it is painted inside the doors about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. It is also on the dataplate but I'm assuming that's where you;ve already found it at.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a data plate with the "-72-" between the registration number and the VIN. I guess for some reason whoever stamped the plate decided to put in on there.

randyscycle

I've never seen a data plate with the "-72-" between the registration number and the VIN. I guess for some reason whoever stamped the plate decided to put in on there.

The data plate definitely has it, and it also says "M35A2 W/W" so it was definitely changed at rebuild time. Guess the guy stamping that day had his own little system. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks