• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as a tow-rig? Am I crazy?

ATC

OK, I am pretty big into offroad, and have built up a '78 Bronco for trails and mud. Non-street-legal of course, and currently I have nothing to tow it with. I was thinking about getting a Deuce to use as a tow rig. I've always wanted a Deuce anyways :-D

Distances would be about a 50-mile round-trip once, maybe twice a month on country roads during the spring/summer, and maybe two trips in the fall. And possibly once or twice a year to Richmond (2.5hrs one way), although I could get a friend to tow it that far if needed. Total weight of the Bronco, trailer, and parts/supplies would be around 6k-7k lbs

I will probably drive it on the weekends to a friends house, a car show, parade, or just out for a drive to keep everything lubed up and "in shape". It will also be used occasionally for work duties (hauling rock, mulch, supplies, etc...)

So what do you think? Good idea? My financial status is keeping me from a nice one-ton pickup ($5k is my max limit), and I do have a Toyota pickup to drive any other time.

I do know the differences between the Deuce's electrical system and a civilian car trailer's, and I think I have a solid plan already layed out for that.

The big question is, has anyone ever made a receiver hitch for the Deuce? I would love to see some pictures to get an idea. I am a hobby welder and can make my own. I am also going to college for welding, so I could turn it into a "class project" of sorts.

If I got the pickup, I would have to sell my Toyota, and I would be stuck with a gas hog when gas prices go back up to record high's. If I got the Deuce, I would be able to keep my 'Yota as a DD (currently, I can go all week on $12 of gas)

Blythewoodjoe

To answer your question, MY OPINION is, yes. To the tow rig not your sanity. That kind of weight range will work well and if you look around you can find a nice running deuce that might need a little work for under 3K. For your needs you don't need a winch, that's just extra weight and money but if you find a nice truck with a winch, don't pass it up. Avoid GL unless you know what you are looking at and how to fix stuff. All the other concerns you bring up have been covered here. You might also find a usealble surplus trailer that would work for your needs with air brakes. I will watch this thread and see if I can help. Gotta go.

Joe Trapp

I use my dueces almost daily they will work fine for what you want if you watch g/l you can find a good one dont get in a hurry a if you can go inspect them and check them out . i got both of mine from g/l and am very happy with them and the g/l people at the sites .

Flea

I think it would suit just fine. The Curt 14082 model hitch is a direct bolt-on (you'll have to drill the frame for bolting, but it's the proper width), and it has a 12,000 lbs rating. If you're going to run electric brakes, you'd need a way to wire in 12 volts, so figure a DC-DC converter of some sort. The rest should be easy; make a bank of relays from the existing turn signals and other electrics. If you're running 12 volts for the brakes, may as well run 12 to the lights.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the relatively short distances and the lack of significant weight would make a deuce ideal for your needs plus it has so many other great qualities. Makes a nice off the ground tent, hauls mulch and other items, great for conversations, excellent at pulling out the little truck (1tons etc), perfect recycler of used motor oil and stale gas, 12' of bed for Home Depot runs and so much more. The only drawback that some folks don't like is the top speed of 55. If you drive at 45 it's so much quieter. I'd say it's darned near perfect for what you want. Do an advanced search using the term hitch and look in the deuce or deuce hotrodding forums for some threads and many pics relating to the hitch.

Jones

Check on what it takes to drive one in your state; CDL?, insurance--Gateway is great, keeping neighbors happy about the army moving in next door...
Once you've covered your bases, plan on becoming addicted to the deuce. It's one of those things that you can't imagine ever needing until you get one. Then, a few months down the road you'll find you can't imagine ever getting anything done without it.
Heck, you may even end up selling the Bronco and just going off-roading in the deuce.
Hey... stranger things have happened.

jfnemt1ff1

Think about this pick up a M109 and that way you can turn the back into a little shop. And a place to stay out of the weather if it gets bad. As far as using it as a tow rig go for it, I have towed a lot more weight then that with out any problems. Read through this site and you will find a ton of info.
John

rmgill

I used my deuce to tow my Daimler Dingo (just sold). That was on a 5 ton flat trailer that worked VERY well. Single the truck out with 1100x20 tires and you'll get a higher top speed allowing you to run at 55mph (eventually) and not be right at red line. It's a handy way to go.

dburt

If you are taking a welding class, make the hitch a class project. I used to teach welding, and have done alot of fab work in my life, so I just fabbed up a hitch for my deuce. I went with 8-inch by 6-inch by 1/2-inch plate between the D-rings mounts and the frame behind the bumpers, used grade 8 1/2-inch bolts, 3 per side, and welded the cross members, etc to the plates. You could also use plate behind where the bumpers mount to the frame with longer grade 8 bolts to bolt thru the extra thickness, and fab the cross mounts and hitch tube in welding class. You can tow with the deuce, I like the suggestion that you go with a M109 van truck, you could have shelter, a portable shop, etc. Go get 'em!

Attachments

hobie237

I'll chime in, since I was once considering using a deuce for towing cars to race tracks. Obviously race cars aren't that heavy and don't need much of a trailer or tow vehicle. I was planning to use the bed essentially as a shop as well. Seemed like a good idea.

Then I looked into alternatives. 1-ton pickups were out due to the lack of sufficient space for a shop in the back. The pluses of the deuce were that it could haul what I needed and was sort of inexpensive. And it had the multifuel engine, which could be a good thing to have in the middle o' nowhere if there was a need for fuel and diesel wasn't available for whatever reason.

Disadvantages were parts cost and availability*, as well as purchase price for a good truck, not to mention the lack of highway driving manners, and the time/distance required to find a good one for sale at a decent price.

In the end, I determined that an Isuzu NPR/NQR or similar box truck (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Mitsubishi, etc.) was more suited to my needs. Available cheaper than the deuce, well proven for daily hauling usage in the civilian world (yeah, the deuce can haul the load over a mountain, through a swamp, and even across the Arctic tundra, but the most "off road" use it'd see from me would be a gravel approach road, so all that other stuff is meaningless), more usable, and the parts are readily available, and cheap, since many are shared with other models of trucks, and in stock at most auto parts stores. And these trucks are for sale, sitting on dealer lots everywhere, just waiting for buyers.

I don't want to be stocking a bajillion spare parts for a tow rig. I'm not a surplus dealer or an auto parts store. I don't even want to have to work on a tow rig much, if at all. I want to spend that time working on and improving the vehicle that will be BEHIND the tow rig.

Then, of course, is the "cool" factor of the deuce, which cannot be overlooked. The question is whether the "cool" factor is worth putting up with the other issues. For me it became a moot point, as the race car stuff got canned and the tow rig needs nixed. A deuce makes more sense as an off-road tow vehicle, as the off-roadability of it could, maybe, possibly, be put to use, at some point in time.

*I know I'm going to get flamed for this. Yeah, deuce parts aren't that expensive and can be ordered pretty easily over the internet. Great. That's a lot of use to me when the truck is broken down in the middle of nowhere, or even when it's in my driveway, if I need it to start NOW. I'm willing to make a run to an auto parts store. I'm not willing to wait for UPS, the mailman, another SS member or the deuce fairy to drop something off.

ATC

If you are taking a welding class, make the hitch a class project. I used to teach welding, and have done alot of fab work in my life, so I just fabbed up a hitch for my deuce. I went with 8-inch by 6-inch by 1/2-inch plate between the D-rings mounts and the frame behind the bumpers, used grade 8 1/2-inch bolts, 3 per side, and welded the cross members, etc to the plates. You could also use plate behind where the bumpers mount to the frame with longer grade 8 bolts to bolt thru the extra thickness, and fab the cross mounts and hitch tube in welding class. You can tow with the deuce, I like the suggestion that you go with a M109 van truck, you could have shelter, a portable shop, etc. Go get 'em!

Perfect! Thank you for the pictures...that almost looks factory :p

Flea: Thanks for the hitch suggestion. I will look into it when I get off of work tonight.

hobie237: I have thought about the parts aspect of this and the meticulous maintenance these things need. Compared to some people on here, I won't be using it that much. If it were to break down, or I need to wait for a part, it's really no big deal. I don't have to tow the Bronco. I could ask a friend to tow it, or I could just drive my 'Yota down there and play around a little.

I did manage to find one here in town that is in great shape for $3k. Much more afforadable than a F350.

Keep the suggestions coming :-D

rmgill

I gotta ask, if you're going to buy a new trailer or a used one, what's wrong with a tag setup rather than a ball setup? the Lunnete Eye/Pintle hook are FAR more solid and if you need to go off road to get the 4x4, you're going to stay connected with a lunnete eye which a ball might not handle very well.

I'd reccomend a deck over axle type trailer, get a longer one and install a large box for tools and parts and jerry cans and the like. The deck over axle type will allow you to get better off road clearance. If you size the trailer correctly, you could even put a small ISO container on the bed in the front for some SERIOUS stowage over and above what's in the bed.

I've used my deuce to drive to and from PA several times with minimal issues. I did have a transmission gear loose some teeth in 5th gear but this is an usual failure mode based on what I've seen.

My rig:

Attachments

hobie237

hobie237: I have thought about the parts aspect of this and the meticulous maintenance these things need. Compared to some people on here, I won't be using it that much. If it were to break down, or I need to wait for a part, it's really no big deal. I don't have to tow the Bronco. I could ask a friend to tow it, or I could just drive my 'Yota down there and play around a little.

I did manage to find one here in town that is in great shape for $3k. Much more afforadable than a F350.

If you can find one locally that's in good shape (not only does everything work, but typical wear-out parts have been recently replaced) and has a good asking price, that's 90% of the battle, really.

And, if you're using it infrequently for non-critical things, then I doubt it'd be a big deal.

As I said, there are pros and cons, you just have to weigh each in how they relate to you.

davidkroberts

get a deuce the chicks dig it..... until you marry them anyway. besides a deuce isnt really ever going to go down in value if you take care of it. A 75 deuce is worth the same as a 65 if they are in comparable condition. That means you will get most if not all of your money back when you sell it if not make a profit. Try that with a late model 1 ton truck.

dburt

As for dependable, I have a couple of friends here in the Pacific Northwest who made alot of money in the past few years doing Forest Fire fighting with a small fleet of deuces. Of course both were mechanically inclined, and could work on thier own trucks and keep them well maintained, but in the fire fighting business, you have to have really good reliable trucks or you get passed over by either the state or federal forest service fire fighting centers. And the buy-in cost of a deuce compared to other more modern trucks is really quite low if you are careful about what you buy and get a good one to start with.

ATC

Thanks again for the help everyone. I think ya'll have helped me make up my mind :twisted: I guess it's all up to the bank now...

TaylorTradingCo

One more thought

Just a thought, but rather than towing it, what if you made some ramps and drove it up in the bed? I have heard of some guys on here talk about hauling a vehicle in the bed. It is certainly strong enough and probably big enough, just high off the ground.

Derek Taylor

ATC

Just a thought, but rather than towing it, what if you made some ramps and drove it up in the bed? I have heard of some guys on here talk about hauling a vehicle in the bed. It is certainly strong enough and probably big enough, just high off the ground.

Derek Taylor
My buddy actually suggested that at one point. For one, it would be way too top-heavy. My Bronco weighs around 5000lbs as an estimate. It stands over 6.5 feet tall (without the 6" lift that is about to go on it), so I would be cutting it close with some of the low bridges, powerlines, and hundreds of low branches over the road. It would also be too wide. The tires hang off the sides of a car trailer a few inches each side...

I live in the Appalachian mountains, so windy, twisty roads are the normal.

Attachments

papercu

I live in the Appalachian mountains, so windy, twisty roads are the normal.
Deuces don't like mountain grades and twisty roads without power steering are not easy on the arms. Why not see if you can rent the one in your town or maybe even take the owner on one of your off-road weekends and see how you like it. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks