• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as a tow-rig? Am I crazy?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see 50 mile trip at 45 mph in a ruff riding truck get out a little sore and then beat the heck out of yourself in the mud truck then climb back into the Deuce and inflict some more pleasure to ones self, yea sounds like fun to me.

The Deuce can be a very jealous toy and the time with them should not be diminished or compromised by thoughts of any other machine.

You asked but I do like comfort once and a while so guess it is all what you can afford.

toddm

I built a hitch for my Duece a couple of months ago. Works great. I think I made it a little stronger than needed, but overkill is good in this situation. By the way the straps in the pictures were only to hold the hitch in place while I drilled eight holes.

Attachments

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i didnt like towing my mud truck with my deuce cause im always i a hurry. i didnt like being hammered to death in my beater and then having to with driving a deuce home and backing up a trailer in tight spaces in the dark with no power steering. the one place we used to frequent to wheel at was usually a camp out adventure. it was great for that because i could jam half my shop in the bed along with camping stuff and then tow my truck out there the whole entire way, 28 miles, through the woods down fire roads. if you got time on your hands and dont mind roughin it deuce towing isnt a big deal. its also fun to laugh to yourself when the cars line up in the mirrors at 45 mph and cant pass lol:-D

ATC

Trust me, manual steering and a rough ride are the least of my worries. My DD is an '85 Toyota with manual steering (on 33x12.50 tires). The suspension in it is so worn out it, the front leaf springs are in a severe negative arch and are nearly at the bump-stops.

Needless to say, "Rides like a brick" is an understatement. I was hoping to get a Deuce so I could have a smoother ride :lol:

toddm: Thanks for the pictures! Looks great!

ATC

Well...I'm still trying to convince myself that I need one of these things over a more practical and reliable pickup. Everyone I talk to is trying to talk me out of the Deuce. Now I admit, it's not the most practical, or best tow-rig out there...but damn is it cool :p

The biggest topic in my head is whether I will be able to afford the maintenance and upkeep costs. Filters and fluids get mighty expensive...not to mention anything else that might fail. Some parts are getting very rare and very expensive (even remaned units (staters, airpacks, compressors, etc...). Heck, I'll still need to design and build a hitch and do a bunch of 12V wiring, and buy a brake controller before I even think about towing...

Anyone have a monthly average ($$)? How often shoud I change the fluids?

Alex400

Well...I'm still trying to convince myself that I need one of these things over a more practical and reliable pickup. Everyone I talk to is trying to talk me out of the Deuce. Now I admit, it's not the most practical, or best tow-rig out there...but damn is it cool :p

The biggest topic in my head is whether I will be able to afford the maintenance and upkeep costs. Filters and fluids get mighty expensive...not to mention anything else that might fail. Some parts are getting very rare and very expensive (even remaned units (staters, airpacks, compressors, etc...). Heck, I'll still need to design and build a hitch and do a bunch of 12V wiring, and buy a brake controller before I even think about towing...

Anyone have a monthly average ($$)? How often shoud I change the fluids?
There is several threads going right now on how to get the deuce lights and stuff to work with 12 volt systems.

Blythewoodjoe

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of up keep. I don't think it would be any more than any other vehicle of this size. GL-1 gear lube is cheap (that's what you put in the axle and so forth), It's a little more oil than a small truck, but the miles you sound like you will put on it won't kill you. The fuel isn't a big deal if you are used to a larger truck. It's no mazda but my NEW F-350 gets 12 MPG empty and 6.4 loaded. The deuce will get at least that in most cases. Parts are available and not as bad as one would think. The trick is to know where to get them. NAPA has a lot of what you need. Things like head lights are expensive, but how often do you replace one? I have been playing with these things for 6 years and yet to buy a head light. You will also never whare out the tires for what you are doing, and if you do whare out the front ones, you can find them for $100 new if you look hard enough.

The above is opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Steelsoldiers or any one with any common cents:roll:

Elwenil

ATC, I would probably have to recommend a normal pickup for your tow rig. I think a Deuce, while very cool, is going to be a bigger pain in the butt than it's worth. If you want a Deuce and are willing to deal with all the quirks and then tow with it, fine. If you are looking for a Deuce specifically to tow with, look elsewhere. Especially if your trip to Richmond is going to take you up I-81 and then out I-64. I don't think I would want to deal with all the monkeys on that road in Deuce towing a wheeling rig up Afton Mountain. Keep in mind that the top speed of a Deuce is only about 55 MPH and that's on reasonably flat ground and unloaded. I'm no expert but you can imagine what will happen towing close to 10k lbs of rig, trailer, tools and spare parts up a mountain while dealing with a rather dangerous traffic corridor. About the only thing that will help is the slow zones on 81 that will bring everyone down closer to your speed, but they all seem to try and make up for it in between them, lol. again, if you are used to a Super Duty or a Dodge Cummins, the Deuce is going to seem horribly heavy and underpowered. They were designed to haul loads at a max of 45 MPH in convoy on rough terrain, not play tag with RVs and Semi trucks at 80 MPH. Just my .02

hobie237

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of up keep. I don't think it would be any more than any other vehicle of this size. GL-1 gear lube is cheap (that's what you put in the axle and so forth), It's a little more oil than a small truck, but the miles you sound like you will put on it won't kill you. The fuel isn't a big deal if you are used to a larger truck. It's no mazda but my NEW F-350 gets 12 MPG empty and 6.4 loaded. The deuce will get at least that in most cases. Parts are available and not as bad as one would think. The trick is to know where to get them. NAPA has a lot of what you need. Things like head lights are expensive, but how often do you replace one? I have been playing with these things for 6 years and yet to buy a head light. You will also never whare out the tires for what you are doing, and if you do whare out the front ones, you can find them for $100 new if you look hard enough.

The above is opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Steelsoldiers or any one with any common cents:roll:

Yeah, the gear lube and tires aren't that bad, but go driving somewhere, and lose a waterpump. Or an alternator, or a power steering pump, or fuel pump, or whatever. If it's a Ford/Chevy/Isuzu/Dodge, and running a Duramax, or PowerStroke, or Cummins, the part will be available at any auto parts store (sure, they may not have a lookup for an Isuzu NPR, but if you're smart, you just ask for the same year Chevy 3500). Even if they don't have it in stock on the shelf, chances are that they can have tomorrow morning. For a Deuce, it's a bit more complicated. Sure, where there is a will, there's a way, but I like the easy way. ;)

Edit- Now, if you live near one of the surplus places, I guess they could be your "auto parts store," but it's still more likely that you'll find used rather than new or reman parts, and the used part may or may not have any more life left in it than the busted one you took off.

rmgill

Saturn Surplus can overnight smaller parts for not too much. What's the entry cost for a deuce vs a F350?

I just drove my deuce from Virginia. I need to start doing oil analysis to know what's going on in the engine. BUT the truck pulled fine all the way south with no issues of problems. When you have a good truck, you have a GOOD truck. In my case, my truck was owned by a first class mechanic before I owned it and was apparently cared for well by the army before it was disposed of.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please let me share this from my 2006 road trip:
"Going by way of mEMPHIS, I took a side trip to Grinders, TN. The home town of Minnie Pearl. From I-40, I took HWY 50 southeast, and then north 1/4 mile to the city square. It's an olde-tyme city square for sure, with a huge bronze statue of Minnie Pearl right there. I didn't take the time to explore, since the 18 miles of highway from I-40 to Grinders took almost 40 minutes. The reason this might be of interest to MV'ers, especially M35 and other large vehicle owners, is the very steep grades on HWY 50.

Not to be satisfied with this, take HWY 100 from town and then HWY 48 back northeast to I-40. Throw 6000LBS of top-heavy load in the bed of your truck and this route is sure to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, with its snaking banked hairpin turns going up and down thrilling steep grades, engine braking was a must and I spent most of this in 3rd. There is literally nothing to the right, no guard rail, just a steep drop into the woods! Oncoming traffic has a rock face for their passenger's entertainment. The lanes were very narrow and the few bridges way too narrow for two trucks to pass. Maybe this is business as usual for some, but we have nothing like it in Texas. I wish I had been rolling video for this ride, it was very much like an amusement park thrill ride but for keeps and my knuckles were white. And I thought it would be easy when
the clerk at the store said "It's all downhill". ":twisted:

Last edited:

hobie237

Saturn Surplus can overnight smaller parts for not too much. What's the entry cost for a deuce vs a F350?

Yeah, if you're willing to pay the overnight rates, and sit around the next day waiting for the UPS/FedEx/mail guy, and you get the order in early in the day so that it makes it out in that day's shipments, then it's fine. Auto parts stores generally get the part in the next day, as long as you order it before they close, and then they have it when they open the next day, and hold it until whenever you can swing by to grab it, on the way to work, the way home, whatever. And it doesn't cost anything for shipping. And most of them will match online prices- I always print out the RockAuto.com price and Advance matches it. Face it- having a vehicle with readily available, over-the-counter parts is just plain more convenient.

That said, if you're willing to pony up the extra money and deal with the inconveniences, it's not the end of the world to have a deuce, or whatever else.

Price of entry is a hard thing to call. There are decent deuces available cheap (the OP said there's one in his town for $3000), or they can cost much, much more. F350s and the like are also hard to call. I've seen some decent box trucks and 1-tons going for $1500-$3500, to way, way higher. Mileage. Year. Engine. Options. Tough to call. Basically a wash, I guess.

The other factor is that, quite frankly, the newer technology is usually better, as much as it pains me to admit it. The early 1970s wasn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability, in terms of any vehicle.

When I was weighing the same choice, it came down to the "cool" factor of the deuce vs. the annoyances of ownership. In my case, practicality won out over "cool," but I have other vehicles for the sake of "coolness."

Blythewoodjoe

if you are used to a Super Duty or a Dodge Cummins, the Deuce is going to seem horribly heavy and underpowered. They were designed to haul loads at a max of 45 MPH in convoy on rough terrain, not play tag with RVs and Semi trucks at 80 MPH. Just my .02
I respectfully withdraw my recommendation. If you are going to haul on hilly roads, don't get a deuce. Around here it's fairly flat. I have driven on hills and the deuce sucks. The deuce would be cool, but those hills will kill you. What you need is a 5 ton.:twisted:

Joe Trapp

ATC

Yeah, we do have quite a bit of hills around here (not mountains however...well...not where I'll be towing), but the maximum speed limit on my routes will be 45mph.

It takes me 20 minutes to get to where I'll be going in my truck. So if that stretches to 40 minutes with a Deuce...that's really no problem, as speed is not a big concern.

ATC, I would probably have to recommend a normal pickup for your tow rig. I think a Deuce, while very cool, is going to be a bigger pain in the butt than it's worth. If you want a Deuce and are willing to deal with all the quirks and then tow with it, fine. If you are looking for a Deuce specifically to tow with, look elsewhere. Especially if your trip to Richmond is going to take you up I-81 and then out I-64. I don't think I would want to deal with all the monkeys on that road in Deuce towing a wheeling rig up Afton Mountain. Keep in mind that the top speed of a Deuce is only about 55 MPH and that's on reasonably flat ground and unloaded. I'm no expert but you can imagine what will happen towing close to 10k lbs of rig, trailer, tools and spare parts up a mountain while dealing with a rather dangerous traffic corridor. About the only thing that will help is the slow zones on 81 that will bring everyone down closer to your speed, but they all seem to try and make up for it in between them, lol. again, if you are used to a Super Duty or a Dodge Cummins, the Deuce is going to seem horribly heavy and underpowered. They were designed to haul loads at a max of 45 MPH in convoy on rough terrain, not play tag with RVs and Semi trucks at 80 MPH. Just my .02
IF I tow my Bronco to Richmond (Cartersville actually), it will be 460 all the way to Rt. 60 in Appomattox. 460 is relatively flat once you get past Lynchburg. But like I said earlier, I can get someone else to tow it if needed (The Bronco won't be ready to go there until September anyways...)

Price of entry is a hard thing to call. There are decent deuces available cheap (the OP said there's one in his town for $3000), or they can cost much, much more. F350s and the like are also hard to call. I've seen some decent box trucks and 1-tons going for $1500-$3500, to way, way higher. Mileage. Year. Engine. Options. Tough to call. Basically a wash, I guess.

The other factor is that, quite frankly, the newer technology is usually better, as much as it pains me to admit it. The early 1970s wasn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability, in terms of any vehicle.

When I was weighing the same choice, it came down to the "cool" factor of the deuce vs. the annoyances of ownership. In my case, practicality won out over "cool," but I have other vehicles for the sake of "coolness."
Right now, my max spending is around $5k...which is what led me to a Deuce in the first place. A relatively cheap investment to get started. Now with a $3k Deuce, I would have $2k to play around with (12V wiring for trailer, build/buy hitch, and to save for any mechanical problems I might run into while getting her in "top" shape).

I'm picky when it comes to vehicles. I am looking at F250's and F350's from '94-'97 with the 460 or 7.3PSD with a 5-speed. 4x4 highly preferred, no duallies, and under 150k miles (or under 200k if it has the 7.3L). I found a '96 in SC for $4500. Very nice condition, 460/5spd./4x4/118K miles. But being in SC, I can't just go look at it after work and make up my mind.

I can't find one around here for less than $6k. They are either beat-to-turds ex-work trucks with a utility box on the rear, or they are in mint condition and the owner wants $9k+ for it. Makes me mad :evil:

Basically, I'm trying to figure out whether the "cool factor" is worth the extra hassle and expense. The Deuce will also take some modifications before I can tow (probably a month's worth).

Gotta pay to play, right?

rmgill

Yeah, if you're willing to pay the overnight rates, and sit around the next day waiting for the UPS/FedEx/mail guy, and you get the order in early in the day so that it makes it out in that day's shipments, then it's fine.
Well, se don't buy these trucks because we're in a hurry.

That said, if you're willing to pony up the extra money and deal with the inconveniences, it's not the end of the world to have a deuce, or whatever else.
Well, for the purposes of a truck that can tow a 5 ton trailer and get to a broken down car of 3-4 tons off road, I'm not sure the entry costs are comparable.

Blythewoodjoe

Well, what ever you do, don't get in a hurry to buy a deuce. There are lots of them coming off the bases right now and some are had pretty cheap. I don't think you will miss any deals. I sold a truck last year for $3000 that was practically brand new. It would still be here if I wasn't broke. Do your homework, take your time and you won't get any surprises. Heck I sold my bobbed deuce for under $6000 and it had four 14.5 x 20 tires on custom rims, 24 and 12 volt systems and it dumped too:cry:. I would have driven it any where, at 61 mph too.

Attachments

hobie237

Well, se don't buy these trucks because we're in a hurry.

Fine, but when I need something to work, I need something to work. I have no use for ANOTHER project vehicle that winds up diverting time from projects that I enjoy more.

Well, for the purposes of a truck that can tow a 5 ton trailer and get to a broken down car of 3-4 tons off road, I'm not sure the entry costs are comparable.

Let's just be clear- YOU asked a question about the cost of entry and how it compared. I answered it. In the future, don't waste my time if you don't want to hear about the answer, just tell us all how the deuce is the ultimate vehicle for everything and everyone. I'm sure it'll help your resale value.

Fine, I guess they're not. I don't really care about getting to a broken down car in the middle of the boonies. And no, IMO a deuce CAN'T tow a 5-ton trailer. I mean, it can, on level ground, at less than 50mph, but that's kind of, what's the word... useless to me. I need something that can move at highway speeds, and maybe, <gasp> over hills. Sure, I could dump on giant tires, and kill the gearing, to get higher top speed, but there's no way in hell that it'd be any good getting up to speed.

The reason I'm posting here is to balance out the "Yeah! Get a Deuce! Best thing EVER!!!" Crowd. They don't seem to even acknowledge that there are disadvantages, much less say what the disadvantages are.

rmgill

Fine, but when I need something to work, I need something to work. I have no use for ANOTHER project vehicle that winds up diverting time from projects that I enjoy more.
Well, it's going to depend on the vehicle you buy as to whether you're going to have to spend time working on it or not doesn't it?

For example. If I spend $35,000 or more and go out and buy a new (or slightly used) 4x4 truck with the 10,000 lb+ towing package, I get the vehicle with updated everything off the shelf and I can go and go to a trailer lot, hook right up and go. But that's a LOT of money spent on a vehicle that could be used elsewhere.

Let's just be clear- YOU asked a question about the cost of entry and how it compared. I answered it. In the future, don't waste my time if you don't want to hear about the answer, just tell us all how the deuce is the ultimate vehicle for everything and everyone. I'm sure it'll help your resale value.
It was a rhetorical question for the original poster of this thread (ATC). He wants a tow vehicle for a hobby vehicle. He doesn't already have a use for the vehicle (ie a farm, or towing function for a private business). He's not going to be able to amortize the larger cost of a bigger heavier vehicle.

In my case I collect WWII british armoured cars. While they're NOT as big as a Bronco in most cases, they weigh a LOT more and I use them off road, at WWII events and I envision that I will have to go recover one, from the field at some point OR help someone else recover their vehicle from the field. A 1 ton dually pickup with a beefy towing package and a dinky electric winch ain't gonna cut the mustard for recovering a broken down little 2 person armoured car that weigh's 3 tons (as much as the pickup). The same can be said for a broken 4x4 in some places and cases. If the car is bogged down it's going to take something with some OOMPH to extract it. Up to the hubs is 2x the weight. Up to the fenders is 3x the weight. Those factors are true for a jeep or for a tank.

I know the math, I've done it myself, and me and the guys in my WWII group are doing the math again for a brace of heavier 8 ton armoured cars we're currently importing or have imported and are restoring. We're aiming for M818s and compatible trailers and have an intent to upgrade to line haul tractors later on. The advantages of the M818s is their capabilities to easily take a rear facing 20,000 PTO winch and a front mounted winch of the same size. How much does an equivalent 6x6 civilian tractor go for? A lot more than $5,000 to $10,000.

Fine, I guess they're not. I don't really care about getting to a broken down car in the middle of the boonies.
But ATC is. He's looking at a truck to go and get a 4x4 that may have busted an axle shaft or a transfer case or may be BADLY hung up on a rock. A 10,000 PTO winch like what the M35s have is FAR and away better than anything you'll find on MOST civilian 4x4 rigs. It has more power, more oomph and more safety factor. You go 4x4ing and you have to expect, on the outside chance, that something will break and you'll have some issues. If he's up where a deuce can't get to, he's probably up where a normal civilian tow rig can't get either. Worse comes to worse, with a deuce, you can at least rig a towbar and drag a broken 4x4 out of the woods. You can't do that with a normal vehicle. Heck, add a winch and some ramps, you can extemporize a way to get it into the bed and haul it out that way with blocks and some poles and the like too.

And no, IMO a deuce CAN'T tow a 5-ton trailer. I mean, it can, on level ground, at less than 50mph, but that's kind of, what's the word... useless to me. I need something that can move at highway speeds, and maybe, <gasp> over hills.
Sorry to burst your bubble with a bit of experience here: :|
Attached is the photo of my truck, the trailer and my Daimler Dingo (just now sold to a friend). I've hauled it to Pennsylvania and Virginia and back from Georgia several times now. All up weight is right at 26,000lbs (that was at a Cat scales). The deuce weighs ~7 tons. The trailer, dingo, and cargo of parts, kit, spare tires and other materials was another ~6. My route has been I85/I77/I81 and in other cases, I85/I95. I have 1100 Singles on it now and I can JUST keep up with traffic on the flats, I get some slower speeds on the bad hills. My absolute moving average on my last trip down with 1 ton on the trailer was 48.8 mph (that includes ramps and feeder artery street movement where I drive slower). With the trailer total average speed was 47 mph. I had no breakdowns, no faults, no failures of the truck. On the flats I was getting to 59mph when I wanted. I try to cruise at 55mph to save wear on the engine. Sitting at red line isn't a good thing, no matter what the engine.

The truck's limitations are the gearing overall. Most of the time, I can barely tell that there's a trailer behind my truck even under load going down hills, it feels like one complete package. Milage doesn't show much of a difference either. 5 tons of trailer doesn't push the 7~ ton's of truck around very well at all, especially when the truck has the extra leverage of a longer wheel base than most civilian trucks AND a significant amount of weight from the trailer on the tag transferred through the rear tandems. Trucks like a deuce, 'Like' the weight transfer from a trailer onto the rears under braking. Put the load on the trailer well forwards (mind you don't exceed the trailer's tag weight limits) and you're going to find that the load is MORE stable, no swaying and no squrrelly bits like you see on a civilian truck. I've towed heavy loads on a smaller pickup and it's like night and day. The deuce, despite the NDTs is more planted. Put some radials or grooved road tires on the truck and I expect it'll be MORE deliberate about it's direction. Even so, the roads in PA are awful. The turnpike and parts of I81 are LOTS of bounce. The deuce with the 5 tons behind it takes it all with aplomb.

The reason I'm posting here is to balance out the "Yeah! Get a Deuce! Best thing EVER!!!" Crowd. They don't seem to even acknowledge that there are disadvantages, much less say what the disadvantages are.
I didn't say that. I was pointing out, that for the cost of entry, you get a LOT of truck with a limitation on top speed and creature comforts. I'm HIGHLY aware of the lack of frills of a deuce. Again, Atlanta to PA and back. New years eve I drove back from Virginia, drive time was 12 hours. 10:30 am to 11:30pm, with 1 cumulative hour's worth of stops to check the truck, cargo control, lights and fill up fuel at a flying J in Virginia. With two tanks on the truck, I can fill up once and make it ALL the way back to Atlanta. I need to stop more and take a shot than the truck needs to stop. :roll:

If you get a deuce, unless it's been abused, it won't let you down before your own body does.

So, to recap, the pluses for a deuce are:
1. Low cost
2. HIGH cargo and tow capacity for the price In my case, I paid $8500 for the truck, $1000 for the trailer and I've invested around $2000 in technical things like new brakes for the trailer and truck. (I paid a premium for the truck by buying from a friend who'd cared for the truck over the years (Dave Sheaffer and his son Joe) and the condition of the truck and it's reliability shows. )
3. Higher than usual winch capacity than you find with civilian rigs. Options for easy rear facing winches too. 10,000 lb capacity, add some snatch blocks of the correct size and you can up that.
4. Simple design with late 40s technology in most cases.

The minuses are:
1. No frills. It'l be hot or cold in the cab, dress appropriately.
2. Lower than average speed. Don't try to hurry.

Pound for pound, a deuce is a LOT of truck for the usual amount of money you pay for it.
:wink:

Attachments

Last edited:

hobie237

Yes. A deuce is a good vehicle for some, not for others. Yeesh. Is that what you wanted?

And who the hell was saying for him to spend $35,000 on a truck? That's a REALLY good way to make sure that the comparison falls to the deuce. $8500 will buy a LOT of truck nowadays. So will $5000, or whatever he plans on spending on a deuce. And chances are that whatever more recent truck one is to buy, won't require another $2000 worth of work.

And yes, it is very, very possible to get a busted 4x4 rig out of rough terrain with a "normal" vehicle. People do it every single day. People who have never even THOUGHT about getting a deuce do it all the time. If he's really all that hung up somewhere, he's going to have to find his way back to the deuce (which may or may not even FIT down some of the tougher, more technical trails) and then get back to the vehicle that is stuck and pull it out... or he could just go wheelin' with buddies who can pull him out as needed, like EVERYBODY ELSE does.

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, A DEUCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE A GOOD VEHICLE, DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION. IS THAT CLEAR NOW?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks