• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as daily driver?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what the insurance problem is. I contacted Progressive and got the insurance card emailed to me within the hour. Cost me $440 per year. Not cheep but livable.

DieselBob

I am considering my own Deuce. Have two DDs. This would be a fun vehicle. Weekend drives, trip here and there to the hardware store or supermarket. These trucks handle this kind of usage? Shorter trips (under 30miles) once a week? I have owned turbo engines before and understand caring for them.

So good for the weekend warrior? Are they reliable for that kind of usage?
This is how I use mine. Weekend short trips to the store and just cruising around town. The top priority is to keep on top of routine maintenance, filters, clean fuel, clean and repack hub bearings and check the brakes and then check the brakes again. Did I mention to check the brakes.

cleb

Never... and I say that as a guy who loves his deuce and has taken it on plenty of long trips (725 miles in one day last year).

Even bobbed and with a muffled rear exhaust, you will never be able to go through a drive through window with it. It will always be difficult to park, you'll never be able to go anywhere fast.... unless you have tall tires and Tom's overdrive and at that point you will be outdriving your brakes....... plus lack of a/c, music, etc.

Not to mention the short lifespan of the multi, which you could improve with a pre-luber and better filters..........

How about having to sit for 5 minutes and let the turbo spool down before you can shut it off? After a day of running errands, you will be ready to shut it off at once and let the turbo burn.
I took my 818 to the Sonic drive through here in Huntsville on 9/11. THAT got some looks, and it even fit :)

FrankOceanXray

This is how I use mine. Weekend short trips to the store and just cruising around town. The top priority is to keep on top of routine maintenance, filters, clean fuel, clean and repack hub bearings and check the brakes and then check the brakes again. Did I mention to check the brakes.
Arnold MD. We aren't so far away neighbor! Arnold is where I got my puppies from.

Well that is good to hear. How many miles do you put on it?

I just am trying to forecast how often I will need to do routine maintenance. I understand pre-trip inspections much like a CMV would need, checking the brakes obviously key. But am I needing to change the whole lot of filters and fluids every year? (I understand that to run about 500 bucks?)

Also, I don't have the shop or tools to do larger projects on it at my immediate disposal. Routine PMC I could do in the parking lot?

jkelly66

For now at least I am using my M35 as a daily driver dito on the maintenance. Alot of the inconveniences that most think are inconveniences are not for me. Climbing in and out doesn't bother me squeezing into parking is not an issue for me. The lack of power steering doesn't really bother me to much. I started driving commercial trucks before most of them had it.
Maybe I'm just used to larger vehicles in general below is a pic of what I drive all night when I get to work. People at work think I'm a bit touched in the head but they love my big loud war wagon too As far as music is concerned that multi in my ears is all I need.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
When my CUCV was sabatoged, I used my deuce as a daily driver for about 45 days. We're talking Atlanta traffic (which isn't anywhere near as bad as DC or NY or many other city traffic issues).

Fuel was a downside. Having to leave an extra 15 minutes was a down thing. Knowing that if the chips were down and I had to get to work NOW...knew I still wasn't gonna get there fast.

Everything else, I could care less.

Strykerboy

i drive my m35a2 to work every day for the past year or so about 20-30 miles a day, I run it on fuel oil, used motor oil, and just about anything else I can get that burns so far have gone two months in a row with out buying a single drop of fuel but sometimes i get to far from my house aka fuel point and have to pitch in some cash for some diesel. I hope you guys enjoy the pics
thanks to the patton museum staff for helping me paint my truck the right way and so on.
i just got done painting it back to OD green and hooking it up with a camo net for a cargo cover.

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselBob

Arnold MD. We aren't so far away neighbor! Arnold is where I got my puppies from.

Well that is good to hear. How many miles do you put on it?

I just am trying to forecast how often I will need to do routine maintenance. I understand pre-trip inspections much like a CMV would need, checking the brakes obviously key. But am I needing to change the whole lot of filters and fluids every year? (I understand that to run about 500 bucks?)

Also, I don't have the shop or tools to do larger projects on it at my immediate disposal. Routine PMC I could do in the parking lot?
I've only done about 3~400 miles in the year I have had it. I wouldn't think you would need to change the filters that often. I changed the fuel filters as soon as I got my deuce and then again after the first tank of fuel was used. A lot will depend on how much gunk is in the system. I got lucky and mine was in very good condition. A couple members offer filter kits with gaskets for a reasonable cost, IMO. Other than the lug nuts and spindle nuts most of the nuts and bolts are average in size 1" or less. Not any special tools needed for routine maintenance or basic repairs. No shop or garage here. I do all the work in my back yard.

CORNBINDER

alright after reading all this i just wanted to thank everyone who has added some input to DDing a m35,as is what im fixing to do,so what are the first things i should look at when i get my m35a2? what should i check to make sure its good to drive home? i know about 2.5 ton axels thats no biggie,but what about motor,tranny and all fluids:?:

thanks jake,

markshr151

Some have mention a 5 min. cool down for the turbo.I have driven heavy trucks and buses since I was 1979. the only time I wait is when I come off a load or just off the highway I have more then 5 min. easy driving before I reach my yard.Also my family drove a M151a2 as a grocery getter for years loved it and miss it to.

Last edited:

SilentSpeedy

I dunno bout a deuce, I am using my 5 ton pretty much for everything, doing groceries, to the mall, and just in general bumming around, I just don't shut it down until I'm home again in order to keep it running as hot as possible.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im using my bobbed duce as a DD, and have taken it on a 1700 mile trip this fall, drove it 850 miles non stop except for re-fueling.

Freight Dog

“Deuce”, daily driver? I answer a resounding, “YES”.
However, since everyone has a different daily mission, it’s like talking about a boat.
Are we talking the Queen Mary or an 18’ Canoe. Sure they are both, “Boats” but…
I use my M35A3 as a daily driver. As an old, retired guy in Forest Lake, Minnesota, my mission isn’t quite the same as a 40 mile commute to the Twin Cities would be. I live about 7 miles from town and usually travel about 30 MPH, 40 tops. I love firing up that reliable CAT 3116 from the cushy air seat in the cab. She starts growling and settles into a steady, 850 RPM idle. I switch on the heater and it goes into the, “Thermonuclear” mode.
The truck had 5000 miles on it when I got it last Christmas. Let see! I have a truck built to last a quarter to a half million miles…It’s probably safe to expect it will out-live me.
I basically bought 7 new tires from G.L. and they threw in a truck with the deal.
I can buy a LOT of diesel fuel with what I saved over purchasing a new pick-up truck. Beside the economic practicality of driving my, “Deuce” to town for bread, butter, milk and eggs, there is the, priceless, ego-stroking factor.
I doubt I would have nearly as many young kids giving me the, “Honk Your Horn” signal or envious Dad’s giving me a, “Thumb’s up”, if I rolled by in a new F-350.
At my age, the miles-per-gallon are low priority, compared to
smiles-per-mile!
Occasionally my wife will ride with me. I have a little folding step-stool that I put in front of the passenger door to assist her into the truck. Guys ought to open doors for the ladies anyway!
Last night I took my wife shopping and let her out in front of the store. I said, “I’ll wait in the truck.” She knew she wouldn’t have to worry about finding me in the parking lot when she came out. The truck stands above most other vehicles. Besides, there’s usually a group of people milling around it. While I was out there, two different guys…strangers…stopped to talk for about 30 minutes each. They wanted to know all about the M35 and Steel Soldiers.
One of your initial questions: Is it hard to find parking space?
Since I live on the periphery of the urban sprawl, parking has never been a problem. Getting away from curious people, after you park; that can be sporting!
(I add at least 15 minutes to every trip for Q+A with new friends I meet.)
Should you use a, “Deuce” for a daily drive? Absolutely!
It will be the highlight of your day!

Freight Dog

Attachments

66kaiserld1d

i drive my 66 m35a2 as a daily driver :) in northern virgina heavy traffic at peak hours of the day i work at a shop use used filtered out oil then diesel 50/50 mix and it runs fine and dosnt smoke that much at all.. its great in heavy traffic so i dont have to worry about hitting my 83 audi quattro as a daily and plus no problems parking and evey person grabs their cell phone to take a picture :) so what the tires dont last if you choose to drive it deal with the expenses :beer: what do you need the radio for or any of that fancy stuff ? the whistle of that machine is good enough for me and you cannot get a speeding ticket and maitenence is cheap have you driven a car with the same miles? brakes are double if not tripple i dunno in my eyes it gets me from point a to b and can have a lot of fun with it also and parts are easy to get and cheap

mktopside

Banned
i drive my 66 m35a2 as a daily driver :) in northern virgina heavy traffic at peak hours of the day i work at a shop use used filtered out oil then diesel 50/50 mix and it runs fine and dosnt smoke that much at all.. its great in heavy traffic so i dont have to worry about hitting my 83 audi quattro as a daily and plus no problems parking and evey person grabs their cell phone to take a picture :) so what the tires dont last if you choose to drive it deal with the expenses :beer: what do you need the radio for or any of that fancy stuff ? the whistle of that machine is good enough for me and you cannot get a speeding ticket and maitenence is cheap have you driven a car with the same miles? brakes are double if not tripple i dunno in my eyes it gets me from point a to b and can have a lot of fun with it also and parts are easy to get and cheap
This is reassuring to hear!

I live in nova (Gainesville) and my M35A3 is at work just waiting for me to service it and start driving it on a regular basis. Part of me was thinking "Jesus dude, are you sure you can drive this thing through NOVA traffic?". But the "Screw it you only live once" side got the best of me. I'll make sure to honk if I see you on the road. Maybe we can drag race and create a traffic jam at the same time! ;-)

66kaiserld1d

haha good deal and where is there to go 6 wheelin around here i dont mind to drive i just would like to get together with some people and work these trucks to bad im on 28 commin home from work haha and my soft top stitching to the front rubber moulding ripped haha and almost ripped my top off haha when i get to work tomm im going to put bumper repair glue 04020 and staple that bitch back on or rubber o ringed aluminum body rivets with the glue and hope it holds for a couple weeks before i can get another top :grd:

tamangel

resurrecting an old thread on driving your Deuce or MV on a regular basis..Who puts the most mileage on their rig each year?

Mike W

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks