• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Aux 250 gal. fuel tank

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be better to move the spare tire to the bed and install a second fuel tank in its place. Trucks commonly have a fuel tank on each side. That will double your range and not make you an enforcement target.

Even with the stock fuel tank, you should be able to go at least 300 miles. That will probably get you out of a danger zone in the event of an emergency. If there is a large scale emergency, I would put whatever fuel tank I need or have in the back and not worry about it. DOT is not going to be stopping anyone fleeing a disaster.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is true, but in the event the power goes out then all gas stations will technically be out of fuel. So no diesel or gas. You could try and siphon fuel from other vehicles but if the area is a "hot zone" you need to get out of Dodge fast. Having all the fuel you need to get somewhere safe is not a bad idea.
Who said anything about gas stations? Fast Food restraunts, oil change places, liquor stores. It is limitless on places you can stop to get fuel that other people cant. I would be more concerned on having a couple cases of filters though.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For diesel fuel (a combustible liquid), you can carry containers with a combined volume of up to 119 gallons with no issues or special requirements. If you wanted, you could install a 100-110 gal DOT-approved transfer tank in the bed, and keep several drums of diesel stored at your home and one empty one.

When you want to load up all the fuel into the truck for emergency use, put the empty drum in the truck and use the transfer pump to move fuel from the full drum on the ground to the empty one in the truck. Repeat as necessary unless you own a crane or forklift. Regular diesel (non-biodiesel) stores very well for years in sealed drums.

As suggested, you could store the drums in a M105 trailer, and just hook up to bug out.

Last edited:

rustystud

Who said anything about gas stations? Fast Food restraunts, oil change places, liquor stores. It is limitless on places you can stop to get fuel that other people cant. I would be more concerned on having a couple cases of filters though.
Again, if your in a hot zone who is going to waste their time trying to find a fast food restaurant or oil change place ? For one thing the type of fuel you would get from them would have to be refined to actually run it. If you tried to run it straight you would only make a few miles out of town before the filters all clogged up. Yes this is a Multi-fuel engine, but remember that only means it is meant to run already refined fuels like gasoline, kerosene, Aviation fuel. Anything else needs to be refined or you will have troubles fast ! A lot of guys here are under the impression you can just dump straight engine oil into the fuel tank and it will run just fine. Not true. You would need to mix it with gasoline to get the proper viscosity for the injection pump and injectors to run right. It is even worse if you plan on using cooking oil as that has it's own problems. When I was in the Marines in Motor Transport we went on a field exercise with all our trucks. They didn't provide enough fuel ( I think on purpose) so we had to improvise. We had engine oil and gasoline and a little bit of aviation fuel (basically kerosene) . So we blended them to get a good viscosity to run the trucks. It worked fine but we knew what we where doing to get it to work. So my earlier statement is true about having your extra fuel on hand before you need it.

Last edited:

OldDuke6

A long time ago, in a land far, far, away... I had a crazy friend.. And he for many, many years, used to FLUID BALANCE his spare tires with DIESEL. And when ever he needed to top off his rig, he would simply hook up an air chuck, and pop it in the tank.. It was nuts, and I often wondered why he carried 4 spare tires on his 53 ft flatbed.

he explained to me, that there is no legislation that prevents fluid balancing tires, and it is a common staple in heavy equipment operation to do so. He did make mention that should the rims corrode, that he had a line that did have a in-line filter hose clamped in it.

i was honestly shocked at the simplicity. The best part, was with the spare supported horizontally, it gravity fed. And he could transfer fuel to a can to either filter again, or use in a tight spot.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A long time ago, in a land far, far, away... I had a crazy friend.. And he for many, many years, used to FLUID BALANCE his spare tires with DIESEL. And when ever he needed to top off his rig, he would simply hook up an air chuck, and pop it in the tank.. It was nuts, and I often wondered why he carried 4 spare tires on his 53 ft flatbed.

he explained to me, that there is no legislation that prevents fluid balancing tires, and it is a common staple in heavy equipment operation to do so. He did make mention that should the rims corrode, that he had a line that did have a in-line filter hose clamped in it.

i was honestly shocked at the simplicity. The best part, was with the spare supported horizontally, it gravity fed. And he could transfer fuel to a can to either filter again, or use in a tight spot.
Sounds good in theory, but I doubt it would work. If theres no weight on the tire, it would create a vacuum and fuel will not flow. If the tire is on the truck, you'd never get more than half the fuel out - and thats if your lucky. Spending time to inflate the tire so fuel flows would be tricky as you'd have to pull the schrader valve to get fuel out, so you'd be moving a heavy fuel spewing tire.

That would be my last option on earth if I ever needed fuel.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to mention the risk involved in a system with no grounds....imagine having to continuously inflate the tire with air to get more and more of the fluid pushed out... compressed air.... accelerant...no ground... Yikes:shrugs:

quickfarms

Sounds good in theory, but I doubt it would work. If theres no weight on the tire, it would create a vacuum and fuel will not flow. If the tire is on the truck, you'd never get more than half the fuel out - and thats if your lucky. Spending time to inflate the tire so fuel flows would be tricky as you'd have to pull the schrader valve to get fuel out, so you'd be moving a heavy fuel spewing tire.

That would be my last option on earth if I ever needed fuel.
It works great

You add a second large valve stem to each rim so that the air is at the top and the fuel is at the bottom.

The air is used to force the fuel out.

The fuel flows through the large valve without any issues.

Grounds? Tires are great insulators but the mount will ground the rim to the truck

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can use your popcorn container to transport fuel also, if you run out of room inside your tires!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already do, the popcorn just floats to the top. Pop the top for a handful any time, no need to reach to the bottom of the container. An oltimer taught me this trick years ago...

snowtrac nome

I would suggest checking with your local authority on what you are doing if running multiple states I would check with them to. in the state of Alaska combustibles just have to be in a tank that doesn't leak flammables have to be in dot approved containers. if you are placarded for flammable materials you will be restricted from using tunnels. you may also require the cdl with hazmat endorsement to haul that much fuel in a container not plumbed into your system.I would suggest a pump out of the top of the tank rather than gravity feed I had a valve malfunction once and made a big mess.

rustystud

It works great

You add a second large valve stem to each rim so that the air is at the top and the fuel is at the bottom.

The air is used to force the fuel out.

The fuel flows through the large valve without any issues.

Grounds? Tires are great insulators but the mount will ground the rim to the truck
OK first off, do you realize what diesel fuel does to rubber ? There is a reason you "must" use special fuel hose for in-tank use. The diesel will turn the rubber into a gelatinous mess. Second, having the second air valve installed in the rim will not allow you to take advantage of the tires full volume. Either way your going to have a mess. Third, how many spare tires are you going to install ? For the few gallons you might get out of one tire and all the cost of those tires you could install five gallons tanks all along the side of your truck and be miles ahead in volume of fuel stored and cost of tires.

59apache

Chipmaker
ok....jfyi....
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/long-term-storage-diesel.pdf

If you storage that much fuel, you should use it and keep it fresh. You'll need stabilizers, fungicides/biocides like Grotamar or equivalent.
http://www.schulke-us.com/schulke_grotamar_71.html

A few jerry cans, regularly used and a allways full tank should give you the range you need. Maybe a second tank mounted under the driverside door or instead the spare tire....more doesn't make sense to me.
Just my 2 cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks