• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce breakdown?

maxpanic

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1972 deuce AM Gen. I love it. It starts right up so long as its over 20 degrees f.

Anyhow, my question is. If I drive my deuce around or take it on a trip and it breaks down then I feel rather toasted. Since its 24 volt I won't be getting a jump start from anyone or my other cars. getting someone to tow it seems difficult. I am coming to the conclusion that I can't own just one but I need two so that I can fall back on the second one to rescue the first in case it needs help. Then I would need a tow bar and a slave cable to help recover or tow. Am I on the right track here or is there some simpler solutions I am missing?

Thanks,
Max

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am coming to the conclusion that I can't own just one but I need two so that I can fall back on the second one to rescue the first in case it needs help. Then I would need a tow bar and a slave cable to help recover or tow. Am I on the right track here or is there some simpler solutions I am missing?

And thus..........the addiction.........begins..............MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

gunboy1656

And thus..........the addiction.........begins..............MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
This is how most people on here started, well I need this to do this..then that. And the fall into the looney bin is a fast drop, I am on my 3rd vehicle right now.

Yes there are easier ways then just getting a second truck, Like hooking up 2 vehicles to charge up the batteries, get a pick up to pull start you...blah, blah, blah.

Take some time read through all the nice forums that are hear for you to learn from others trials and tribulations of their experiences.

And last but not least welcome.

bratpackdad

I have insurance that offers RV towing. I used it once with no problem. However, if I get stuck.....like buried; then I will need a deuce. So I have been looking for a second.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You have to remember that most military vehicles spent their lives in a motor pool among their friends. It is their natural state......they are not happy being alone. It is actually cruel to keep them by themselves.

A lonely deuce is an unhappy deuce....that's why they break down....in the hope that one of their own comes to rescue them.

Be a good MV owner....buy your MV a companion....keep it happy.

panshark

you're in one of the best places in the country to own such a truck! No humidity, wide streets, etc. If you're able to put decent batteries in it, the peace of mind you will have knowing that your truck will fire right up will be worth the cost of the batteries. Same goes with every other system on the truck. Do a quality pre-trip inspection, and don't be too proud to leave your truck in the driveway if it's not in good running condition. If it's not up for a 150 mile trip, then don't drive it across town.

Another bit of advice, get to know your turning radius VERY WELL. You don't want to take a right turn onto a side street, and be manually operating your right blinker (signal modules are notorious for working like they're supposed to only when they feel like it), and downshifting, and turning, and trying to avoid broadsiding #1 or #2 car that's waiting to exit the side street. The truck can get ahead of you.

And welcome to the hobby!

DMaddox

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1972 deuce AM Gen. I love it. It starts right up so long as its over 20 degrees f.

Anyhow, my question is. If I drive my deuce around or take it on a trip and it breaks down then I feel rather toasted. Since its 24 volt I won't be getting a jump start from anyone or my other cars. getting someone to tow it seems difficult. I am coming to the conclusion that I can't own just one but I need two so that I can fall back on the second one to rescue the first in case it needs help. Then I would need a tow bar and a slave cable to help recover or tow. Am I on the right track here or is there some simpler solutions I am missing?

Thanks,
Max

YES you are on the right track you definitley need two deuces!!!!!! one for driving and one for pulling but wait what will you go wheelling in , i gues you need another,,, wait what about camping 109? maybe a 1009 for scouting out trails... and a 1008 for smaller hauling needs how many kids do you have? you don't want to leave them without thier own trucks!! boy it sure adds up quick...:grin:

rongaudier

I think a deuce with a camper or camper converted shop van may qualify for AAA Plus or Premier towing benefit.
RV/Motorcycle Towing

• Classic members with recreational vehicles (RVs) are eligible for service with the exception of towing, extrication/winching and tire change service. Towing, extrication/winching and tire change service for RVs is available under AAA Plus and AAA Premier benefits. RVs include motor homes, camper vans, cab-over campers, and recreational trailers including camping trailers, fifth wheel trailers, and utility trailers carrying recreational vehicles or equipment (excludes commercial and horse trailers). ATV trailers, boat trailers, and personal watercraft trailers must be carrying their designated recreational equipment or must be empty to be eligible for service.
  • Classic members with motorcycles are eligible only for the delivery of fuel and locksmith services. Towing service for motorcycles is available under AAA Plus and AAA Premier. Motorcycle must be licensed for highway use.

Last edited:

rlwm211

The other option for the deuce owner who has but one, is to have friends who have deuces or larger od iron equipment.

In that way you still have the strength in numbers thing that WM is talking about and you can suffer from your OD addiction together and have your meetings of OD Anonymous, otherwise known as your local MV Club meetings as often as is necessary to deal with your addiction and the addictions of your fellow members.

Just my two cents....

RL

Well, keep in mind, you could always just hook a car/truck (the latter being preffered) up to one battery for 10 minutes, then repeat with the other, I've done it before when I was trying to start the deuce with an inoperable lift pump

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks