• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce breakdown?

rrrr

You have to remember that most military vehicles spent their lives in a motor pool among their friends. It is their natural state......they are not happy being alone. It is actually cruel to keep them by themselves.

A lonely deuce is an unhappy deuce....that's why they break down....in the hope that one of their own comes to rescue them.

Be a good MV owner....buy your MV a companion....keep it happy.

I'm trying to figure out how I can store my 43 GPW in the back of the Deuce in case of a breakdown. :)

Ramp length to get it up in the bed is very long and very heavy ! Any ideas ;)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With this kind of reasoning ( one to recover the other), I need a second wrecker and a 920/870 combo, so if one goes down, one of the others can do the recovery, with the third in recovery reserve, now if MURPHY is riding along and the second recovery vehicle goes down, then another recovery vehicle will be needed to be in reserve, now the number of recovery vehicles needed is 3 to support 1, I can see where the needed recovery vehicle multiplication can expand exponentially. This is why I am trying for the LOTTO, you can NEVER have ENOUGH RECOVERY VEHICLES

Last edited:

tco3129

You guys are killin me. I liked to never convinced the BOSS to get my first and now you say I need another? I already can see a remodeled kitchen in my future.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You guys are killin me. I liked to never convinced the BOSS to get my first and now you say I need another? I already can see a remodeled kitchen in my future.
With my line of reasoning, you need a LOT MORE then another one, to be in recovery reserve

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add an additional bit of reality I give you the following. Bought a deuce at Redstone...pig in a poke. Had a recommended diesel shop there pick it up and go over it...new fluids/filters/ and hoses [as approp], road tests, inspections for worrisome leaks, brake checks, etc. Drove it to Tucson w/o substantial problems [lost alternator belts. slight brake fluid leads in two hubs, slight heat increase in one rear hub near the end]...2100 miles.

Once home: replaced two sets of bearings, re-packed the rest, new seals all around, cleaned everything from the axle out; rebuilt all of the brake cylinders, flushed the lines, and changed to DOT5; replaced the front boots with funky green silicone ones; pulled the seats, cleaned and jabscoed and rustoleumed as deemed needed in the cab and selected spots on the bed; greased every zerk I could find; bought some new tools; and replaced a lot of bolts/nuts/studs/washers. Also got to know hardware, tool, and lubricant suppliers well. Ran 30-mile freeway tests until re-doing the keyway seals in 2 or 3 of the rear hubs, and finding and inserting 0.040-in shims in 3 or 4, resulted in cool hubs all around. This was a substantial learning experience...first timer deuce owner; not overly mechanically experienced.

Then, drove to sw Oregon and back to pick up an 8K# boat...~2300 miles. Only thing I did enroute was to add fuel [and outboard oil] and, incrementally, 3 quarts of Lucas to the crankcase...made the ups a lot quieter on the return leg. Averaged about 8.4 mpg for the trip. Slight leaks showed on the inner front rears on the way back, but hub temps did not rise. Got 'em off now to clean/re-pack and change to cork seals...fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

The bottom line is that if you think that your truck is reasonably tight, drive it without trepidation, but prepare for potential griefs. Took me a while to get to that point. I travelled with fuel filters, oils, grease, spare bearings and outer seals, cribbing blocks, deuce-relevant tools, and a 50-ft air line w/filler. Only things I used were the air line and a few tools for trailer adjustments.

Have at it and enjoy,[thumbzup]
bs

deuceiswild

I drove mine home from Warren Robins Ga, 300 miles put feul in it hooked the charging system back up and aired up the tires checked the oil and put brake fluid in it(what little good that did). noticed hub seals now leak changed over to DOT3 got brakes now and got the winch cable stuck in the fairlead cause I tried to use it myself. I put WVO in it and drive it every saturday to the dump. I must have got a good one or I am overly confident but 19 degree weather it starts up and every thing seems to work as it should.If its gonna break down I can say from experience the side of the road is inevitable no matter how many recovery vehicles you got.

covert

your on the right track. I realized right off i needed 2 one to get stuck in and another to recover with. then decided i need another for a parts source. so now i have 5 deuce's and still not sure which one to use for parts, they all run great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks