• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Catastrophic Engine Failure

EulaVFD#620

To start off, we used this Deuce to fight a fire last night, it ran great and performed well. It has the LD-465-1 engine in it. Which thanks to several of you around here I finally got to achieve 56 MPH by changing fuel filters and turning up the fuel a little, didn't go to much cause I didn't have access to a pyrometer.

Today I was taking all of the fire trucks to the store to get Fuel in them as we ran most of them all night, The last one I took to the store was EVFD unit 606 a tan Deuce. I get to the store fill up with fuel, with no problems. I start heading back to the station, which is 5 miles from the gas station, and I am just poking along, as I am not trying to break any land speed records. I get 2.5 miles down the road and everything looks normal on the guages, oil is reading about 60 psi, air is around 120, Vlots are in the green, temp guage is flaking out(which is normal for this truck) RPM's around 2000 in 4th gear, speed is 38 ish MPH. all of the sudden. The Engine shuts down, all indications are 0..........Crap. so I coast to the side of the road. Turn the ignition swithch off then back on and push the start button, and ...NO ROTATION........double crap. So, I hop out of the truck pop the hood open and there it is Oil on the underside of the hood from front to back......this fuel trip is getting expensive in a hurry, so I radio to the chief to bring the other deuce to tow me back to the station. cause this engine is baked. No oil left in the engine, it is evidentally between where I came to rest and the gas station. Ihe oil appears to be comming from the front end of the engine, possibly the front main seal went out. But without taring into the engine, I have no clue honestly where the oil is comming from, it is all over the top, bottom, sides of the engine, pretty much every surface under the hood has a nice coat of engine oil on it.

I will post pics as soon as I can. I just have a few questions for the experts, how big a job is it to replace the engine, provided I have another to install, and are there any hints/ helps you have from your expieriences, expecially the hints that aren't in the manual?

Would it be better for the fire Dept to buy another deuce, and just transferr the fire equipment to the new deuce, and use the old deuce for parts?

any help is greatly appreciated, and anyone who has some free time who wants to help, all help and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
620 out

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is an oil line that feeds the injection pump. It has been known to rot and spray oil all over. Get it home and see what you can find out. A motor swap isn't too bad as long as you have the equipment to do it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Powerpack swaps are easy if the front of the truck is not cluttered with fire equipment. If you get to that point, I'll gladly share my way of doing it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny is right. I've changed engines in all kinds of vehicles and equipment. I'll have to say a deuce is the easiest I've ever done. You can swap the engine without even looseing the coolant.

70deuce

I know here in Colorado organizations like yours get first dibs on the good stuff going to DRMO and by good stuff I mean all the trucks, trailers and equipment us mortals must bid on. I would go for another good truck, transfer your fire fighting setup and keep your "anchor" for parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny is right. I've changed engines in all kinds of vehicles and equipment. I'll have to say a deuce is the easiest I've ever done. You can swap the engine without even looseing the coolant.
That is unless you get lazy and decide that you can pull it out without taking the grill all the way off, in which case you rip the petcock right off the radiator. Ask me how I know that! Serioulsy, I remove the grill and fenders and then pull the entire powerpack, with rad attached, as a unit just as Ty said!

reloader64

I hope you can find a cheap and easy way to get your truck back n the road. There's a guy somewhere around Ballinger with a lot of military equipment. I saw his place one weekend while I was passing through. My question is, how many people on this site know where Eula, TX is? I do:-D

Hint: It's not to far from Clyde

tjcouch

Serioulsy, I remove the grill and fenders and then pull the entire powerpack, with rad attached, as a unit just as Ty said!
And I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have someone with that skillset so near-by!

I look forward to the pics . . . I am sure it must be ugly . . . .

IHASFIP

There is a guy in Liberty Hill that should have an engine, there is also a guy in Waxahachie.

Liberty Hill guy
Lynn-1-512-259-5393

Waxahachie
John Colwell - jepcolwell@aol.com

D

Oh and Eula is about 100 miles west of me. Out near Abilene. My girlfriend used to have softball tournaments there back in high school.

Earth

I was thinking of your cooked block after a night of having the truck running at a fire. I have a few 25 and 30 year old John Deere tractors here on the farm and the only time I seem to have problems is spewing fluids from some old crappy hose during long hours of operation--like hay time when you just don't need any breakdowns. I think we know it, but maybe need reminding--replace these parts!

Not exactly the same but I started up the JD4050 2 wheel drive the other day for the first time since winter got here (about 6 months ago). During the warm up, hydraulic oil came spraying out of the dash--power steering hose. When I changed it out I couldn't believe what terrible condition it was in hiding up there under the hood.

Sorry about your truck

EulaVFD#620

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is all the rusty looking water stain from? Has it overheated lately(before this)?

I am also wondering why you didn't see the oil pressure drop.(you stated you looked at the gauges). Also, I wonder if you had an operational temp gauge, if you might have noticed the engine heating up before seizing. Who knows

I wouldn't put it back in use if it starts now with out an inspection of the bearings and cylinder walls. I'd drop the oil pan and look at things closely.

Last edited:

EulaVFD#620

this is the deuce i am looking for a non swiss cheese version of a radiator for, but to my knowledge it hasn't overheated, we add water constantly because the temp guage is flaky, reads full scale hot all the time when the master switch is turned on. I have bigger fish to fry with all of the mechanical issues we are having with all of the fire trucks, if I can get a break the first thing I plan on fixing is the temp guage on this deuce.

620 out

SEAFIRE

Right now it is a PITA for Texas Volunteer Fire Departments to get trucks from the FEPP ( FEDERAL EXCESS PROPERTY PROGRAM ) as the Texas Forest Service, which oversees the program, is trying to change the way the trucks are distributed.

Used to the trucks were given out but remained property of the Forest Service. Once the fire department was done with the truck ( or it broke down ) it was returned to the Forest Service and taken to Lufkin to be stripped of parts or given to another fire department.

The Texas Forest Service is trying to implement a new program where the truck's title will be transferred to the Fire Department after one year, but lots and lots of red tape is keeping the new program from getting started.

The bad thing is right now we can't get any trucks, and the Texas Forest Service yard in Lufkin is running out of parts trucks to strip parts off of for those vol. fire departments unable to afford parts.

We are currently under a severe drought and two of our sister fire departments have been waiting almost a year for the Texas Forest Service to get the new program going and get them some trucks. Some vol fire departments in other states have been getting real decent A3's and A2's while those of us here in Texas wait....:cry:

EulaVFD#620, have you been having a lot of grass fires up your way? we had a 3,000+ acre grass fire a few weeks back that we were at for over 24 hours. The Forest Service had to bring a water dropping helicopter and a spotter plane in.

EulaVFD#620

Seafire,

Yes we have had plenty of grass fires around here, more than enougt to beat up every piece of equipment we have, by some miracle we (as a department) have been able to keep most of our trucks able to respond to the fires.

But this fire season and drought have been a bear to deal with, though our largest fire has been only 1200 acres we have had enough of the 500 acre and less variety to keep us busy, mostly caused by the wind causing power lines to touch and spark a grass fire.

I pray that we get some rain this weekend, to help calm this desperate situation down, and let our volunteer firefighters get some much deserved rest.

620 out

SEAFIRE

EulaVFD#620

How many Deuces do you guys run?

Yes the drought has been killing us down here as well, we have also spent a lot of time recently working on our two active deuces, luckily we have two volunteers who are diesel mechanics at their regular jobs, and this forum, which is invaluable for information or questions.

we had 12 grass fires in 2007, 58 grass fires in 2008, and 29 so far in 2009. The bad thing is that most of the grass fires this year have been over 200 acres on average.

pics from one of our recent fires:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks