• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce checkover

SteveKuhn

Nice checklist outline.

Am I seeing a raised air intake suggesting a fording kit? If so, I'd probably want to check for all those components and make sure that somebody didn't just raise the intake and skip the other stuff. I'd also assume it was forded and figure on checking for water in all the wrong places.

Still, at a squishy $2900 it sounds interesting.

man2112

Nice checklist outline.

Am I seeing a raised air intake suggesting a fording kit? If so, I'd probably want to check for all those components and make sure that somebody didn't just raise the intake and skip the other stuff. I'd also assume it was forded and figure on checking for water in all the wrong places.

Still, at a squishy $2900 it sounds interesting.
What all components should I check for specifically on the fording kit? Just make sure that the snorkel is sealed well? Is there anything else to it?

man2112

Sounds as though you may need to download some Technical Manuals to become more familiar with your truck. Here is a link:
JATONKA's M35 TM* download page They are also available in the Resources Section above. Good luck with your purchase.
Gotcha! I didn't know that the fording kit would be included in that. Hey, i see that you live in strasburg! I have an uncle that lives up there, pretty neat little town!

APM215

Just some handy things to know that might help you down the road. I have this and the TM's from Jatonka on file and add to it when someone here on S.S. posts up something useful.
Things You need To Know About The Truck
Lights
The numbers are standard, even NAPA knows them:
Running lights - 623
Dash - 1829 (1873 or 1860 are brighter)
Turn signals - 1683
blackout lights - 1251

You can use the blackout lights as running lights in a pinch...pretty dim.
You can also use the running lights, or blackout lights as turn signals in a pinch.

FUEL FILTERS
Primary = NAPA Gold # 3511
Secondary & Final = NAPA Gold # 3512 need 2ea
The wix numbers are the same as NAPA with a extra number in front.
33512 need 2ea and 33511.

OIL FILTERS
Wix# 51133 need 2ea
NAPA# 1133 need 2ea

To test your solid state blinker box.
Pin “A” to a light bulb which is grounded
Pin”B” to a 24VDC source
Pin “C” to ground
When “B” is connected, the light should blink about 80 times minute

Radiator hose lower:
Gates/Carquest, # 20611.
Dayco# 70689
NAPA# 7423

Good luck and enjoy your new truck. 

SteveKuhn

I honestly don't know the details of the kit but I found this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8615-need-fording-kit-info.html Good stuff.

You can also try this Google search: fording kit parts site:steelsoldiers.com You can play with the words for more info.

Also a matter of checking drive train for water, bearings for gunk, etc. There's probably a specific post-fording PM but I haven't found it in my searches, including the TMs. Might have overlooked it or searched the wrong words.

I only flagged the fording because it can cause water damage if done improperly or not maintained.

man2112

one thing that i am interested about is whether the truck was deployed or not. Obviously the door has the chevron on it, but i have no clue if that was put on by another owner after they purchased it. Is there any way to tell?

maxxplanck

Man2112, its a good chance that the truck was deployed. During Desert Storm it was a simple way to avoid ( fratricide ) friendly fire. All of the allies put the Chevron on their vehicles to facilitate identification. During the gulf I remember doing the the same to my M106A2, to me it was kinda stupid you coundn't see the chevron very well with a Nato 3 color APC. Theres a 99% chance that the owner of the deuce didn't put that on the truck.

Attachments

man2112

Man2112, its a good chance that the truck was deployed. During Desert Storm it was a simple way to avoid ( fratricide ) friendly fire. All of the allies put the Chevron on their vehicles to facilitate identification. During the gulf I remember doing the the same to my M106A2, to me it was kinda stupid you coundn't see the chevron very well with a Nato 3 color APC. Theres a 99% chance that the owner of the deuce didn't put that on the truck.
Sweet! So assuming that it was deployed in the first gulf war, is there anything particular that i should look out for on it other than the normal things?

hof3414

Just because there is a air engagement switch on the dash do not assume it is not a sprage unit. My second truck, which I got from GL, had a dash mounted axle engagement switch but I never thought to check it. The first time I used it I heard air blowing under my truck, got out looked and the air line from the switch just went straight to nothing. I looked at transfer case and sure enough it has a sprage. It explained why it drove funny after I drifted down a hill with truck in reverse moving forward. I adjusted the linkage but I couldn't get it to engage going forward just in reverse. I' m pretty sure I messed it up when I drifted foward, there was a loud bang. Lesson learned.

man2112

Just because there is a air engagement switch on the dash do not assume it is not a sprage unit. My second truck, which I got from GL, had a dash mounted axle engagement switch but I never thought to check it. The first time I used it I heard air blowing under my truck, got out looked and the air line from the switch just went straight to nothing. I looked at transfer case and sure enough it has a sprage. It explained why it drove funny after I drifted down a hill with truck in reverse moving forward. I adjusted the linkage but I couldn't get it to engage going forward just in reverse. I' m pretty sure I messed it up when I drifted foward, there was a loud bang. Lesson learned.
Is there a big visual difference between the air and sprag transfer cases? Or do they pretty much look the same?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are troop seats. Stakebeds do exist as homemade units. With the troop seats up, you can use them as stakebed as long as you only haul light stuff, perhaps branches or firewood. Anything else will probably damage the troop seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks