• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce / D600 dodge crew cab camper build

bugwhacker

Had a day off so decided to get a few things done.

Put the 1100r20 G177's on. no hub flip yet - still need to order the seals. A soldier "B" would have been nice for that job.

Finally got a picture of the new crane - didn't get to paint it though, it rained all day yesterday.

I also went out and got my transmission for this build - Road Ranger 13 speed double overdrive. RTOO9513. It measure 37 inches from the clutch-box face to the center of the yoke, I will need to find an output flange for it or a U-joint that matches my spud shaft to the transfer case. It is a great looking unit inside, I took the top cover off and inspected it before purchase. It looks perfect and the backlash is really nice and tight. Great unit for $250. The clutch-box is 21 inches across so that makes it an SAE #1 not exactly what I was looking for but I was thinking of getting a hydraulic clutch set-up for it and putting an air assist booster on it to make the clutch a little easier on my knee as I get older. Eaton has a nice set-up for this transmission that bolts right up to it - I have included the Service bulletin for it below.I can get it in a SAE #2 size

The input shaft has 10 splines and a 1-1/8th pilot on it, so I will have to see what it takes to make that work also.

Attachments

bugwhacker

Well I picked up my Clutch box adapter for the transmission last night a little after midnight, very nice having a big truck supply house thats open 24 hours a day just a few miles from you. Right at $225 including shipping it to the Volvo dealer.

Attachments

KaiserM109

…I am placing a 1975 Dodge d600 front end on it with a 1985 Dodge d350 crewcab body. I have titles for everything but plan on titleing it with the 1975 D600 cab and specs - It is from a dump truck so has 24,000k GVW….
You sound like you know what you’re doing so this is more of a question than a suggestion: doesn’t picking the dump truck instead of the Dodge d350 mean that you will need a CDL license to drive it because of the GVW rating?

This is a suggestion: It will be difficult to find any place to put the 2nd alternator on a deuce engine. I once had a ’56 International pickup with an original 6 volt system with a positive ground and an added 12 volt alternator with a negative ground. I could get 18 volts off of it!

If you expect to pull no than more few amps at 12 volts, use a 24v to 12v inverter. NEVER pull from one battery only. You will kill the other battery.

PS you're gonna love those tires compared to the NDTs!! Those cross-bar tires are deadly on ice!

Last edited:

SteelWarrior

The GVW for CDL is 26000# - Should be fine. I have been planning on a project like this with a custom cab (and maybe body) for a year or two now. Looking for the best of all worlds - finding it hard to put together. Guess I just gotta pick my favorites and go with it :)

JeffTheMarine

I know this thread is a little older but I was curious what the progress on it was. I also was curious if you still have the 2wd crew cab frame from under the crew body. I have a 4WD crew cab but they only came in short boxes and I want to extend mine without cutting the frame. Shoot me an email if you still have the frame and are possibly interested in selling it.

Thanks
Jeff
jeff_Yarbrough@Hotmail.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks