• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce / D600 dodge crew cab camper build

bugwhacker

Had a day off so decided to get a few things done.

Put the 1100r20 G177's on. no hub flip yet - still need to order the seals. A soldier "B" would have been nice for that job.

Finally got a picture of the new crane - didn't get to paint it though, it rained all day yesterday.

I also went out and got my transmission for this build - Road Ranger 13 speed double overdrive. RTOO9513. It measure 37 inches from the clutch-box face to the center of the yoke, I will need to find an output flange for it or a U-joint that matches my spud shaft to the transfer case. It is a great looking unit inside, I took the top cover off and inspected it before purchase. It looks perfect and the backlash is really nice and tight. Great unit for $250. The clutch-box is 21 inches across so that makes it an SAE #1 not exactly what I was looking for but I was thinking of getting a hydraulic clutch set-up for it and putting an air assist booster on it to make the clutch a little easier on my knee as I get older. Eaton has a nice set-up for this transmission that bolts right up to it - I have included the Service bulletin for it below.I can get it in a SAE #2 size

The input shaft has 10 splines and a 1-1/8th pilot on it, so I will have to see what it takes to make that work also.

Attachments

bugwhacker

Well I picked up my Clutch box adapter for the transmission last night a little after midnight, very nice having a big truck supply house thats open 24 hours a day just a few miles from you. Right at $225 including shipping it to the Volvo dealer.

Attachments

KaiserM109

…I am placing a 1975 Dodge d600 front end on it with a 1985 Dodge d350 crewcab body. I have titles for everything but plan on titleing it with the 1975 D600 cab and specs - It is from a dump truck so has 24,000k GVW….
You sound like you know what you’re doing so this is more of a question than a suggestion: doesn’t picking the dump truck instead of the Dodge d350 mean that you will need a CDL license to drive it because of the GVW rating?

This is a suggestion: It will be difficult to find any place to put the 2nd alternator on a deuce engine. I once had a ’56 International pickup with an original 6 volt system with a positive ground and an added 12 volt alternator with a negative ground. I could get 18 volts off of it!

If you expect to pull no than more few amps at 12 volts, use a 24v to 12v inverter. NEVER pull from one battery only. You will kill the other battery.

PS you're gonna love those tires compared to the NDTs!! Those cross-bar tires are deadly on ice!

Last edited:

SteelWarrior

The GVW for CDL is 26000# - Should be fine. I have been planning on a project like this with a custom cab (and maybe body) for a year or two now. Looking for the best of all worlds - finding it hard to put together. Guess I just gotta pick my favorites and go with it :)

JeffTheMarine

I know this thread is a little older but I was curious what the progress on it was. I also was curious if you still have the 2wd crew cab frame from under the crew body. I have a 4WD crew cab but they only came in short boxes and I want to extend mine without cutting the frame. Shoot me an email if you still have the frame and are possibly interested in selling it.

Thanks
Jeff
jeff_Yarbrough@Hotmail.com