• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce door decals

bill2444

Hi, I thought i would share the decals that i had made up for the doors. Michigan law says that when you get a DOT # that you must have your company or private name posted on the side of the vehicle. You can also post "NOT FOR HIRE" if your not hauling commodities for hire. I personally have put farm plates on my m-35 since i have a small farm. That allows me a lot more than a historical plate and is still under a hundred bucks. I really didn't like the thought of putting not for hire across the thing in 3" letters (looks stupid to me) So i came up with a catchy farm name ( had no name before) And registered it Michigan ( free to do) and spent a few days coming up with this design. The name has to be readable from 50' according to the DOT. I was hoping to have something with a military feel so it didn't look to out of place. And as small as possible as not to stand out to bad. Hope this helps with ideas for you other guys getting your trucks DOT compliant. As for me, now I'm working on a headache rack with built in clearance lights.

Last edited:

bill2444

Oh, and a helpful note: After a little flirting with the Secretary of State gal, she clued me in on this not openly mentioned piece of Michigan law.
FMCSR 390.21 " Farm operations are considered in commerce, there is no prohibition against using a vehicle displacing identification and/or a U.S. DOT number for personal use"

Thats right no expensive commercial plate for me and i can use the truck everyday.

Last edited:

bill2444

You must know your jeeps to pick out my tj. That's one of my main reasons of getting to be fully DOT compliant. Leaving for Drummond Island in 4 weeks and that's how shes traveling. There's a DOT check point at the Mackinaw bridge ( my back yard ) Anyways there is a low spot in my yard that i parked the Deuce in and i borrowed some ramps of one of our equipment trailers to try it out. The rams were a short 6' long, but couldn't resist trying it out. And had to plan for tie down d-ring locations to weld in. Some time next week I'll be starting on coming up with a design of 8' or 10' ramps that will be light enough to handle. Even with my aux fuel tank in the front of the bed taking up space the jeep fits in better than i thought.

bill2444

I had them done at a local sign and banner shop. She was able to put together my images and ideas. Price was $60 for both sides. More would be cheaper as your paying half for the materials and half for design time.

GPappy

Oh, and a helpful note: After a little flirting with the Secretary of State gal, she clued me in on this not openly mentioned piece of Michigan law.
FMCSR 390.21 " Farm operations are considered in commerce, there is no prohibition against using a vehicle displacing identification and/or a U.S. DOT number for personal use"

Thats right no expensive commercial plate for me and i can use the truck everyday.
It has been a few years since I had my old Dump Truck licensed as farm/log but I thought there were some pretty restrictive requirements for where you could drive. Seemed to me that it was between the fields you were working and a limited drive distance. What are the current restrictions for a farm tag?

bill2444

What you were thinking was what i was thinking. Then i asked the Secretary of State gal why do i see so many pick-ups up here running around with farm plates on them at wallmart/restraunts/around town. The guide lines state that what you are thinking.. But after a little flirting she let on about a little loop hole if you will. That being the law that i stated earlier. Catch is you should be within 150 mile radius of home with no farm commodities or on route to get commodities. ( will need log book if over 150 miles) And it would be a good idea to jot down that law including the fmcsr 390: 21 part. and have it with you so no one bullies you into hearing the riot act or a ticket.

bill2444

I will be putting that law to the test in 4 weeks when i go across the DOT station at the Mackinaw Bridge with the jeep in the bed bound for Drummond Island.

bill2444

Hi, Your S.O.S. should have given you a little yellow card. It tells you about Michigans new money making scheme. Any vechicle that has a weight rating over 10,000# pounds including 3/4 or 1 ton pick-ups have to have a DOT number. They don't kid around about this, one of the guys at work got a $200 ticket for no DOT# on his personal 3/4 diesel 4 door pick-up because he had a trailer behind him with his riding lawn mower on it. Have heard of alot more people up here getting fined. {Google Michigan center for truck saftey}

For the farm plate, no-one asked for any kind of proof of having a farm. Although i do have a small farm. When you look up the truck saftey center there is a 800# you can call and get a free copy of the current truck drivers guide book which has a lot of good info for farm exemptions.

Page 8 has the statement also of " vechicles displacing a farm plate may be used for personal transportation" QUOTED

A

A/C Cages

I have the software and machinery to make these decals out of vinyl. If you look at my avatar you will see my Hummer covered in them.

goldwing2000

Banned
Hi, Your S.O.S. should have given you a little yellow card. It tells you about Michigans new money making scheme. Any vechicle that has a weight rating over 10,000# pounds including 3/4 or 1 ton pick-ups have to have a DOT number. They don't kid around about this, one of the guys at work got a $200 ticket for no DOT# on his personal 3/4 diesel 4 door pick-up because he had a trailer behind him with his riding lawn mower on it. Have heard of alot more people up here getting fined. {Google Michigan center for truck saftey}

For the farm plate, no-one asked for any kind of proof of having a farm. Although i do have a small farm. When you look up the truck saftey center there is a 800# you can call and get a free copy of the current truck drivers guide book which has a lot of good info for farm exemptions.

Page 8 has the statement also of " vechicles displacing a farm plate may be used for personal transportation" QUOTED
Thanks for the info. I guess Chelsea SoS didn't get the memo because I literally registered mine less than three weeks ago and they said nothing. And I know they knew the weight was over 13,000 because it took a half an hour for them to figure out what kind of plates I could get. Maybe because I got a historic plate instead of popping $500 for a commercial?

I'm going to check out that Center for Truck Safety and see what's what...

harleyrkc

I just registered mine back in december and put a historic plate on also. Does anyone know if we still need the DOT # for historic vehicles? I drive mine everywhere and no one has paid me any attention, but I don't want to push my luck.

bill2444

I'm not sure about a historic vechicle clasification. I didn't see mention of anything yea or na in my Michigan truck drivers guide book. I haven't had a problem yet either, but getting ready to cross the DOT checkpoint soon with my jeep in the bed. So i know that i will get looked over pretty good.

goldwing2000

Banned
I'm not sure about a historic vechicle clasification. I didn't see mention of anything yea or na in my Michigan truck drivers guide book. I haven't had a problem yet either, but getting ready to cross the DOT checkpoint soon with my jeep in the bed. So i know that i will get looked over pretty good.
Let us know how that turns out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks