• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce door decals

Flyingvan911

Seems redundant for personal pick-ups to get a DOT number. The purpose of the DOT number is to keep track of commercial vehicle. Private vehicle get license plates and pay personal property taxes. I wonder if money is the only alterior motive.

bill2444

The DOT # is free "NOW" I'm sure once they got everyone signed up and registered then the yearly fees will start/ then they will start to go up little by little. Isn't that how all these things start innocently and quietly!!!

goldwing2000

Banned
Ok... I got my handbook in the mail today and I've found two pertinent sections.

#1 On page 4 under "Definitions", a "Commercial vehicle" according to MVC 257.7 can be a vehicle "... constructed or used for transportation of goods, wares or merchandise...". That's pretty broad, but would include a Deuce (as well as every pickup truck ever made). The very next definition is for a "Commercial motor vehicle (CMV)" according to FMCSR 390.5 specifically states that the vehicle must be "... used on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce to transport passengers or property...". To me, this excludes any vehicle not used for commerce.

#2 On page 7 under Getting and Displaying a DOT Number", it states "A Michigan motor carrier operating commercial motor vehicle/s in interstate or intrastate commerce must apply for and obtain a USDOT number." And a "Motor carrier", as per page 6, is defined as "Any person or entity that operates commercial motor vehicles to transport cargo or passengers..." and the definition is simplified as "Anyone operating a vehicle meeting the definition of a 'commercial motor vehicle' to support any type of business activity or service..."

So... my conclusion is that a privately owned deuce used for recreational purposes does not meet the definition of a "Commercial Motor Vehicle" because it is not being used for commerce. The same reasoning applies to getting a USDOT number. If it's not a CMV, then it's not being used for commerce and does not require a USDOT number.

And further research into Michigan laws has found this: MCL 207.1002 (Motor Fuel Tax Act), section 1(i) “Qualified commercial motor vehicle”, subject to subdivision (j), means a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and 1 of the following:
(i) Having 3 or more axles regardless of weight.

This would seem to include a deuce except that subdivision (j) states: “Qualified commercial motor vehicle” shall not include a recreational vehicle...

Also, MCL 257.7a specifically states: A commercial motor vehicle does not include a vehicle used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for nonbusiness purposes.

To me, that last part says it all. No DOT numbers for me. Whoever got nailed in their pickup truck hauling a trailer got royally boned.

bill2444

I will be passing that on, I personally know of 4 people up here who have received tickets with their personal pick-ups that got it for no DOT#.
I think to many DOT officers up here with laws written to confuse anyone. 2 years ago with our work truck were pulled over when on I-75. They had the shoulder of the highway closed off with a a convoy of officers and a moving sign saying ( ALL TRUCKS PULL OVER) for a random saftey screaning. We got a BS. ticket for the rear brake chambers being not made by the same manufacture. ( I just had replaced a bad one with a carquest replacement and one was stock) Even when you think you know everything, bam some obscure thing you never heard of. Bet the state was making thousands of dollars an hour that day.

We have learned just take the cheap rinky-dink ticket, and be happy that you didn't get red tagged. Never got pulled over last year so we are over due. But we actually try to work with and talk to the locall DOT officers to keep our vechicles compliant. ( laws change every year) And it does really help!!!! I have seen them alot on the side of the road waiting, And they wave. ( problem is every year their is new recruits and sometimes meeting a new guy happens when he pulls you over)

Most important part is just avoiding the thousands of dollars ticket sceniro, or them keeping your truck. Happens alot to other guys. I don't want it to be me

bill2444

I guess i rambled off: I was going to say, you should be fine with nothing in the bed. and don't tow a trailer with something on it that might look like a commodity. ( hay/ old tractor/lawn mower/vehicles/ dirt/gravel/load of building materials/etc.etc.etc.

Keep your book in the truck with the paragraphs highlighted is probably your best defence.

goldwing2000

Banned
I guess i rambled off: I was going to say, you should be fine with nothing in the bed. and don't tow a trailer with something on it that might look like a commodity. ( hay/ old tractor/lawn mower/vehicles/ dirt/gravel/load of building materials/etc.etc.etc.

Keep your book in the truck with the paragraphs highlighted is probably your best defence.
Yep, that's the plan. And also a copy of the actual legal definition, highlighted (since the Michigan Center For Truck Safety handbook specifically states "This document is not intended for legal purposes.")

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks