• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Driving Experience Compared to Civvy?

Corvette1974

Hello all,

I am currently saving up to get an M35, and I have never driven one. I have however driven various other vehicles of differing sizes and age/capability. This comes from my working on a farm. Having never driven a deuce, I'd like to hear what you guys think it would compare to at all.

Vehicles I've driven to compare to:

1947 Dodge 1.5 ton - Flathead Six, 4 speed, power brakes, non power steering. Driven with small loads

1953 Dodge 1/2 ton military truck - Flathead Six, Unsynchro 4 speed, manual brakes, manual steering. Small loads

1975 Ford F600 with dump body. Ford V8 4 Barrel Holley (Maybe a y block?), 5 speed manual, 2 speed rear, power steering and brakes. Hauled 10 round bales about 900 each or about 185 square bales. So this weighs more than a M35, when loaded and close when unloaded. Top speed about 50

The F600 I think would be the closest in weight, and drivetrain (I cant imagine the 1975 V8 makes more power than an LDT) The F600 is very tame though. If you could get over the fuel economy, it could easily be daily driven. Power everything, easy clutch and fine power....or at least in my opinion!

Do any of these give a rough estimation of driving a Deuce?

Will

Streetgliderx

id like to chime in since i just purchased my first deuce,..... its big, its clumsy, its a no refined raw rugged feeling of badassery when in motion.... in short i love it.... gonna make power steering my next mod for sure

Merc1973

Do not be intimidated. Its much easier than you think. :tank:

The first time I drove one it was the 100 mile drive home when I picked it up.

Corvette1974

Wow thanks for all the responses! I'm not so much intimidated by it, just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Like StreetGlider says, I want that raw badassery :twisted:

It seems like I am on the right track to knowing what it'll be like (sort of!) Me possibly getting one is about a year out at this point. My Corvette is first priority (and school of course!). But I have done a LOT of research into them. I probably know as much about a deuce without even owning one as my CUCV haha :mrgreen:

No power steering isn't an issue at all. Neither are the brakes. I'm all about the big, slow and steady way of driving, so I think an M35 will fit me perfectly.

Interestingly with the F600 it really doesn't "handle" any differently loaded vs unloaded. It has plenty of capability for the loads I've done. It does however like its downshifts and slow going up hills, which from what I've read is an attribute of the Deuce.

I really like driving those older Dodges too. I'll take some pictures of the military one next time I go to work. Sadly its not OD any more.

Will

BTW congrats on your first deuce SG [thumbzup]

Last edited:

ATPTac

They're a different animal for sure. The biggest thing I noticed about driving them is the handling. One of the first few times I drove it, I took a pretty decent curve and I about ran off the road. They're not hard to drive, just be mindful that they're a crude design and were designed for slow going convoys.

Corvette1974

They're a different animal for sure. The biggest thing I noticed about driving them is the handling. One of the first few times I drove it, I took a pretty decent curve and I about ran off the road. They're not hard to drive, just be mindful that they're a crude design and were designed for slow going convoys.
Good point. I know what you mean by that. Sometimes the steering doesn't directly correlate with direction of travel in old, large trucks. That is one thing I was going to ask, how does a Deuce react when loaded? The F600 loaded isn't all that much different than when unloaded.

ATPTac

Good point. I know what you mean by that. Sometimes the steering doesn't directly correlate with direction of travel in old, large trucks. That is one thing I was going to ask, how does a Deuce react when loaded? The F600 loaded isn't all that much different than when unloaded.
I haven't loaded ours down with any significant loads yet, so I can't answer that. I'm sure there is somebody that can chime in who has though. I think the key is to just take it easy until you learn all the characteristics of the truck.

welldigger

I'm not understanding some of you guys saying the brakes suck on the m35. It very much has power brakes. What do you think the air pack is for? My truck stops as well as any other truck of its size.

In most cases the deuce has no power steering. But, as long as your moving then it's not so bad. There are air assist and hydraulic power steering kits available if you have the money.

The ride quality is exactly what it looks like it will be. Like an ox cart. The cab is small and cramped. All of the factory seating options on the a2 suck. The springer seats ride a little better but they take away much needed leg room. The box seat is exactly that. A box.

The multi fuel in any of its common versions is anemic at best. It's not a powerhouse by any stretch. But, it gets the beast down the road.

All that said, I love my deuce. It's been a fun truck to play with.

MT4222

I can navigate my deuce like its a sedan. I make people stare with amazement. I love parking in small spaces for fun. You will catch on with it real quick. And im only 17

Corvette1974

I can imagine the brakes on the F600 are similar to a Deuce. Single circuit, huge drums all around, vacuum (vs pressure in Deuce), It stops very well loaded or unloaded. Way better than a 2000 F350 7.3/ZF6 mason dump we also use that has modern 4 wheel disk and hydroboost. That thing with trailer and about 14 round bales is downright scary brake wise. I do know the trailer we have needs brake work, but it is pretty bad load per load compared to the F600.

The seat would be something I would upgrade. Being on a tractor all day or driving a truck all day the seat makes all the difference. After a while with a bad seat you start to feel it. The longest trip I'd ever take with the Deuce would be like Rausch creek and back, which isn't all that long.

I've watched literally every video Youtube has to offer Deuce/5 ton wise.....the wait is gonna kill me haha

Will

Corvette1974

I haven't loaded ours down with any significant loads yet, so I can't answer that. I'm sure there is somebody that can chime in who has though. I think the key is to just take it easy until you learn all the characteristics of the truck.
Maybe I'll use it for a hay load if/when I get it to see how it does. I can only imagine it'll go above and beyond what is required of hauling hay!

Corvette1974

I can navigate my deuce like its a sedan. I make people stare with amazement. I love parking in small spaces for fun. You will catch on with it real quick. And im only 17
Good stuff. I've had my M1028 next to a M35 before, and it is bigger but not *ridiculously* bigger. A 5 ton, on the other hand is HUGE in comparison (to both), the headlights are at a 6 foot tall mans head haha.

Woodsplinter

If you want the baddest truck on the block, a deuce will do nicely- the cool factor is very high. They don't go fast but at slow speed in low gears they excel at pushing and pulling things. If you run over a Prius, for example, you probably won't feel it.

People wave & give me thumbs up all the time-you better like attention because you will be getting a lot of it! I love mine- it's been a lot of fun.

bigginstactical

I think mine stops and turns great. As far as driving one they really are not bad. To put in perspective I have never drove a stick on the road until I bought my deuce. I had the guy bring it to an empty parking lot and I learned how to drive it for an hour or so. Drove it home.... at night....with the trailer. Pretty sure you will be fine haha! To say I was nervous is an understatement but as long as there isn't a problem with it they do drive really nice for a big rig. Leave space and always leave an "out" if something goes wrong with your brakes.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want the most out of your deuce learn how to split shift.

When you are upshifting you have two extra gears if you can split shift. It is not rocket science and I think there are videos posted on how to do it correctly. Splitting when downshifting is trickier and if you make a mistake you can ruin something quick.

When backing up and doing low speed maneuvering keep it in Low Range. It will not buck and jump around as much and you cannot stall it out even if you put it in 5th gear and let out the clutch.

Corvette1974

Oh man you guys are killing me.....I need my Deuce pronto! It sounds like a blast to own one. I love my CUCV, and already feel like the king of the road in that. I'm going to do my best to save up as soon as possible. I think theoretically by the end of the summer I could have enough. I'll definitely be posting a thread of all of my military stuff (which I still haven't done yet...) if/when I get one.

I agree with the 5 ton thing, it is definitely too big for me to own now. A wheel/tire on a 5 Ton weighs like as much as the small block in my Corvette (Maybe even more?). And plus I like the looks and iconic nature of the Deuce more.

Woodsplinter - The Deuce is definitely the ultimate Anti Prius machines, which is another plus :grin: ...good thing too as my town has way too many for my liking haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks