• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Driving Experience Compared to Civvy?

Corvette1974

If you want the most out of your deuce learn how to split shift.

When you are upshifting you have two extra gears if you can split shift. It is not rocket science and I think there are videos posted on how to do it correctly. Splitting when downshifting is trickier and if you make a mistake you can ruin something quick.

When backing up and doing low speed maneuvering keep it in Low Range. It will not buck and jump around as much and you cannot stall it out even if you put it in 5th gear and let out the clutch.
10-4 on that, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was literally just watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATydWsWxOf4 and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27m9jnAurF8

I have experience with split shifting in the F600, it has a 5 speed and 2 speed rear for a total of ten gears. The 4th and 5th are exactly the same shifting style as a Deuce. Would you suggest always split shifting it or only with a load?

Will

welldigger

Don't split shift unless you are heavily loaded. It's pointless.

As to tires, I find the large radials easier to deal with than the 9.00-20's. Plus they ride better and increase the top speed.uploadfromtaptalk1392960234303.jpg

Nationwide 63s

The Deuce handles great at slow speeds, a little work to get into tight spots, dreadfully slow, and rides rough. It's extremely rugged! Don't expect to hold any conversations with passengers though, the exhaust is LOUD!

The brakes do work well, but don't expect it to out-brake the vette! Single circuit brakes requires constant checks to keep you safe.

i drove a few loaded in the Army. Might have had close to 1.5 tons in it plus pulled a trailer.......up hills. It will do it, but it takes time! Good advice......learn to split shift, and then, still don't expect stellar results!

The Deuce is all business. Great farm truck, fun daily driver, awesome piece of American Military History! You'll overlook the quirks, leaks and low speeds and focus more on the experience! Go for it!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I beg to differ with you Sir.

I put over 50k miles on deuces in Germany back in the 70's and spilt empty or loaded.

Splitting gives you two extra gears and you can accelerate like a scalded cat if you know how to do it right.

When I had my bobber I surprised he ell out of a bunch of people when I launched from a light in Low third at 1200 RPM.

You would be how fast you can hit 60 MPH under full acceleration if you know the tricks.

To make it as smooth as possible all the linkage should be adjusted properly and well lubricated.

It is all personal preference but I still split all the time.

Splitting gives you two extra gears and you can accelerate like a scalded cat if you know how to do it right.
+1 on that, after some data plate studying, i figured out that i could split shift and it made a heck of a difference taking off from a stop and getting up to speed. I may get smacked by the "first gear first" crowd, but i tended to start in low second. Seemed by the time i got the trans into second after rolling out first that i had come to a full stop again so i nixed using low first

And you're going to love driving the deuce once you get her figured out!

James

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce may not be the ultimate anti-Prius vehicle simply because of the "green" nature that comes with a multifueler. Now a five ton with an 855 cu. in. Cummins that can only burn diesel and smokes like a steam engine...

My son used to own a 71 Corvette. Those cars are a PITA to work on. You almost need the entire Sears tool catalog for them. The deuce takes a lot less tools but more force.

Corvette1974

+1 on that, after some data plate studying, i figured out that i could split shift and it made a heck of a difference taking off from a stop and getting up to speed. I may get smacked by the "first gear first" crowd, but i tended to start in low second. Seemed by the time i got the trans into second after rolling out first that i had come to a full stop again so i nixed using low first

And you're going to love driving the deuce once you get her figured out!

James
I know what you mean by the first gear thing. The 47 Dodge I've driven does that too, first gear is such a crawler that by the time you get into 2nd, it is already basically stopped. From what I've seen in video/person, I can already tell you I'm going to love it!

I beg to differ with you Sir.

I put over 50k miles on deuces in Germany back in the 70's and spilt empty or loaded.

When I had my bobber I surprised he ell out of a bunch of people when I launched from a light in Low third at 1200 RPM.

You would be how fast you can hit 60 MPH under full acceleration if you know the tricks.

To make it as smooth as possible all the linkage should be adjusted properly and well lubricated.

It is all personal preference but I still split all the time.
I agree on the splitting, especially in the higher gears like 4/5. In the F600 you can split every gear, but I've found that it isn't really needed unless there is a HUGE load. But the 4/5 split helps a lot, however. The Deuce is a different machine. I'll just have to experience it when I hopefully get one [thumbzup]

Going off of what what you guys said, what gear in low should you start in when splitting?

The Deuce handles great at slow speeds, a little work to get into tight spots, dreadfully slow, and rides rough. It's extremely rugged! Don't expect to hold any conversations with passengers though, the exhaust is LOUD!

The brakes do work well, but don't expect it to out-brake the vette! Single circuit brakes requires constant checks to keep you safe.

i drove a few loaded in the Army. Might have had close to 1.5 tons in it plus pulled a trailer.......up hills. It will do it, but it takes time! Good advice......learn to split shift, and then, still don't expect stellar results!

The Deuce is all business. Great farm truck, fun daily driver, awesome piece of American Military History! You'll overlook the quirks, leaks and low speeds and focus more on the experience! Go for it!
Sounds like just what I'm looking for! I like the results from putting a muffler on, that would probably one of the first upgrades I'd undertake. Brakes would all be gone through too, I do not want to have an issue with them ever.

As to tires, I find the large radials easier to deal with than the 9.00-20's. Plus they ride better and increase the top speed.View attachment 479161

Great looking Deuce you got there. That would definitely be a nice upgrade, it's something to consider down the road. I need to get it first!

Thanks for all of the real Military experience stories, they lend to the insight and further build on the American history behind them too!

RodUSMC1962

When I was in the Corps, the gunny called all the drivers in because they needed a couple of extra deuce drivers for just a couple of days. He asked if any of us that didn`t already have a 2 1/2 ton license could drive a deuce. I raised my hand, the clerk typed 2 1/2 ton on my license and I was a deuce driver. I jumped in that truck and never looked back. The only thing someone had to show me where the starter was. When I was a kid in high school I had a 1955 ford with 3 on the floor, I figured that was close enough. :driver:

EWhytsell

They're a different animal for sure. The biggest thing I noticed about driving them is the handling. One of the first few times I drove it, I took a pretty decent curve and I about ran off the road. They're not hard to drive, just be mindful that they're a crude design and were designed for slow going convoys.
I've been on this site lurking and eventually getting a deuce and joining, I've read the entire deuce section all the way back to just after the archived old site and I don't see the part I put in bold said enough.

The sticker on my dash says max speed 48MPH and that is pretty much what it means. To mean that little statement means a lot, especially in a big heavy truck designed around 60yrs ago before modern highways, dense traffic, Toyota Prius's (hehe), and all the new electronic gadgets including advanced safety features of modern cars ie anti skid control, etc. I 1200miles per week for work as a field service tech in a small car so I'm pretty alert and aware of how fast things can happen. In the deuce I'm overly cautious and would prefer to avoid interstates all together.

Sorry for rambling, but everyone does need to remember these vehicles were built only to move men and supplies faster than people could walk or carts could be pulled. Do it over barely improved roads and in convoys with slower moving tracked vehicles and the engineers did not have civilian's in 2014 and beyond in mind. To me they are a part of history and a joy to own and even more so to drive.

EWhytsell

Now on topic, I sound a lot like the OP in experience, I grew up around all types of farm equipment and farm use trucks and my dad worked for an equipment rental company so I could operate about anything with an engine before I could drive. The handling of the deuce is just a big ole "Man Truck" to me lol. I have 11x20 G286 tires, don't know if that makes a difference over the old NDT's, but I think it steers fine and just has the big truck feel with that huge wheel. The ride is kinda tough, but I drive a 2001 corolla 1200miles per week and let me tell you, other than sitting up very straight in the deuce its more comfortable than my corolla's seat. Same for my `94 corolla before that LOL.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not be intimidated. Its much easier than you think. :tank:

The first time I drove one it was the 100 mile drive home when I picked it up.
Mine was the 225 mile drive home, with a blown alternator half way, in the rain, with dying lights and no heater.

But when it comes down to it, i love driving it now. Its so easy to track down the road. Sure low speed is a bear, but on the road.... easier then many vehicles i have driven.

61sleepercab

I would suggest that you find some one local with a deuce and get some real seat time in a truck with an old hand to give some pointers. Nothing like the been there, done that got the t shirt feeling in the seat of some old iron. I have both a deuce and a 5 ton and each are fun to drive. Power steering is nice but the feeling of driving on top of a 8 foot stepladder in a 5 ton takes a little getting use to. Mark

scottmh

It's unlike anything I have ever driven. Be prepared to be gawked at but that is part of the fun. It's fun, scary and thrilling. haha. And I never drove anything close to this thing before. Don't let your friends drive, mine took out his neighbors mailbox in the first 5 seconds

Corvette1974

When I was in the Corps, the gunny called all the drivers in because they needed a couple of extra deuce drivers for just a couple of days. He asked if any of us that didn`t already have a 2 1/2 ton license could drive a deuce. I raised my hand, the clerk typed 2 1/2 ton on my license and I was a deuce driver. I jumped in that truck and never looked back. The only thing someone had to show me where the starter was. When I was a kid in high school I had a 1955 ford with 3 on the floor, I figured that was close enough. :driver:
Great story! I love how it was done in the Military - a few keystrokes later and you're a certified M35 driver 8) Is that you in your profile picture?

Last edited:

Corvette1974

I wish someone I knew had one, I would definitely need to take it for a test drive :driver:Maybe between now and then I'll find a local SS'er and we could meet up.

EWhytsell - That is a LOT of driving in one week. Taking a cruise in the Deuce is a good reward for all of those miles haha I like the idea of a big, slow machine. The 50 MPH max is just fine with me, and now that I know if it more comfortable than a Corolla, that just adds to the appeal lol ;)

The attention thing is interesting. It's funny, it seems that I get more attention in my M1028 than my Corvette sometimes. Everyone seems to pick out the big military truck immediately. I got my dad hooked on the M35 idea and he said to me "There's nothing more you'd like than to tool through Pennington in that thing..." All I replied was a Jeremy Clarkson "Yesssssss" as I pulled up more M35 videos to show him haha.

I like how everyone has a different recovery story, I'm planning on saving up enough to prepare for SHTF stuff, and to make it an adventure. I've looked all the way to South Carolina for them and would be willing to do that. With hopefully no blown alternators or the like!

Will

EWhytsell

The attention really is part of the fun, I took my truck to a touch a truck last year and had a blast. I had one little boy (probably 4yrs) who got their early, saw all the trucks, and made mom wait around till it was over to come see the "army truck" again. He had a grin about as big as mine when he started it up for me.

Can't wait till weather gets better so I can take it out again. Your right, it is a huge reward and pleasure to drive it slow and cool after all those miles in a small car and fast pace zipping around the city.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks